Mining Cost vs. ROI Doesn't Seem Worth It

Whispers — Obviously I keep it in mind, but the phrase seems to elicit some strong responses

2 Likes

I don’t think there is anything wrong with you using the term ROI. I use it all of the time, and I haven’t really seen anyone have an issue with the term before until this post. :joy: My point was only that ROI is a single variable out of many and shouldn’t be the only thing considered, which I didn’t think was what you were saying, by the way. I have just talked to many people, and they only consider ROI first when there are plenty of other costs to consider.

Honestly, I bought most of my GPUs at or near the price they are now. I have some Nvidia cards that I bought for around $1000 each, give or take. I’m not sure if I would make the same choice of GPU I did now that proof of stake is getting “closer”.

You could definitely build an RX 6600 GPU rig, those cards aren’t very hard to come by at the moment. My local Microcenter has them for ~$450 each, and they are very efficient. There are many opinions about whether or not to go for efficiency or performance, and I’m personally in the efficiency camp.

4 Likes

Best response I’ve ever heard!

@StevieG @NachLibre @SMS @Dave_Wolter @Cbarnett @Kadiyania The fundamentals of central banks and fractional banking haven’t changed.
Crypto or Alternative currencies are a reaction to the blatant fraud committed by the criminal…I mean banking class.
Participating in mining, node decentralization, decentralized finance, liquidity provision all contribute to what I’m working towards.
I hope everyone catches my drift because I was about 10 years late receiving the message.
Being a part of a movement that stabilizes economies, removes inefficiencies, promotes innovation, and spreads the kind of freedom my public school propaganda led me to believe was real feels kinda fun like isn’t the belief in the ‘American Dream’ what life was supposed to be about?
Do I wanna make money? Yeah. It’s a risky dive, but keeping my monies in fiat looks diseased.
I bought about $49,000 worth of miners last year and am still waiting to take delivery on the Bitmain L7 9500…my CK5, KD5, and two KD boxes are humming along.
I got a MDTD goldspot that took a dump, and I paid for a bobcat this past summer that still hasn’t shipped…
All of these things are risky. Taking a shower is risky. Life is a gamble.

The Kadena miners have paid for themselves.
I run a private node that the Kadena miners hit, and they average higher solo than pool mining.

I paid $13,540 for the KD5, I paid $4,258.94 for each of the KD boxes, and $8,414 for the CK5 delivered, and am waiting on the $18,540 L7.
As dollar prices escalate consider what you are really seeing, the collapse of the dollar’s value.
The dollar value erodes as each second passes because the central banks and fractional bankers continue to drive a debt-based economy.

We can completely change the basis for the economy by making the banks and their debt-based fiat irrelevant.

4 Likes

My 0.02USDT:

Situation 1:
BTC
6 Machines cost 9k plus 1k build cost =10k
You sell to buy another machine every 6 weeks.
After 1 year 8/10 more machines total 14/16 machines
after year 2 14/16 more total 28-32 Machines
Year 3 Bitcoin moon, you have close to 50 plus machines worth 200k
if Moon year 4-5 you would have 100 plus machines worth 500k
Your initial investment -10k

Situation 2:
ALT - LTCDOGE or Zcash
Buy 6 altcoin miners 9k plus 1k build cost= 10k
Use 1 to pay back electric, HODL coins with 2, use 3 to but another machine ever 3 months.
Year 1 4 more machines plus initial 6= 10 machines
year 2 - 8/10 more machines =20 total
Year 3 Moon - you hoDLd 33%, have 30-40 machines worth 200K, you sell half hodl for 400K
if no moon year 3 and moon year 4 well wow.
initial investment - 10k

Situation 3:
ETH ETC RVN
buy the all in one temp control server box - 600usdt
put in 8 cards 1k each
you should have 16 cards after 1 Year Hodling 50%
after 2 years 32 cards stil hodl 50%
at one Week those cards would make 20-40usdt each per day of use on the network, lets say you have avg 50 cards work for 36 months, thats 1,080,000 in hodl alone plus you make 1k per day and cards worth 200-350k.
Initial investment 10k

Situation 4:
Buy 9k in extreme alt Miners: StarCoin Sia HNS Raptoreum Monero 1 k infrastructure 10k.
JUST HODL EVERYTHING AND FORGET IT EVER HAPPENED.
5 years or less - 3 Million

Situation 5:
Buy 10k in Doge -
Doge to 20.00,
you sell half and get 333k usdt.

Just do something.
My advice to myself ATM

5 Likes

generators! I like this line of thought, we need to start unplugging from the grid, solar tied with a generator running on natural gas.

2 Likes

I love the realness.
We should have mining club apparel.
I have about 14K worth of equipment I’m sending back for repair ATM.
I’m learning the lesson, gaining the experience.
The sideliners could say what they want.
MicroBT FTW ATM

1 Like

This is one of the best lines I have heard yet! One of the main reasons I am transfering and holding blue chip Coins.

2 Likes

I am assuming that you mine ETH with your GPUs. What is your plan for your GPUs when ETH goes to proof of stake?

1 Like

If you really believe that big money isn’t already in this game too, I think you’re dreaming.
Not that is necessarily bad or wrong or hurtful or whatever, but I do believe that crypto isn’t the utopia some think it will be. The rich get richer, and the poor get more plentiful. It’s how it’s been since the dawn of time, we’re just getting in to the exponential rise of populations now, and it hurts more.

So making a buck on this stuff as quickly as you can before the rest of the world completely catches on makes some sense. Any leg up is valuable. I’ve only been investing in coin last couple years, I wish I had dove into mining when I started watching the markets. :\ No time like the present, tomorrow’s not guaranteed, and yesterday is a memory!!!

2 Likes

I agree, 100,000%, the big money is here and little guys like you and me need to play it as smart as possible if we want to keep from losing our shirts. Truth be told, ASIC mining may never be available to the little guy ever again. Who amongst us has $50,000 to stake on a single miner (KD6) that might pay off after one year? When I saw the price of the KD5 more than double after I bought it I was shocked, but the dollar’s value and much of the fiat world is collapsing.

Phoenix in UAE with +$650,000,000 orders for Bitmain
Fortress in Canada with $85,000,000 orders for Bitmain
Corporate Groups purchasing old power plants for their own Bitcoin mining operations in Pennsylvania

I am dreaming, though. I dream of a world where the Central Bank debt generating machine can become irrelevant and money is based on work, not stake, and value is created with tangible creation…even in the realm of virtual currencies I believe that the tangibility comes from adoption of crypto as payment for services rendered or product delivered.

2 Likes

I suppose I just take a more simplistic approach:
No ‘gimmick’ miners or nodes,
No ‘latest hot thing’ miners unless I can take immediate delivery. L7, KDA? That’s for big boys. I’m more comfortable with one less zero on the price.
Finally, hardware cost back in 12 months or less, preferably 9-10 months.

NOW I have my money back, a new stream of coin, and now, investment money for investment coins.

2 Likes

I like this approach, but finding hardware wtih cost back in 12 months or less is problematic in the market right now and for the last 12 months. The only exception I think of is HNT and I am not sure that is still viable.

Yeah I run a mining operation with a partner, the returns are less right now.

If you can tolerate the risk I would recommend reinvesting the revenue you earn from the miners into more miners so you can accelerate your rewards.

You’re really going to need cheap electricity, I’d suggest to send units to a mining hosting service.

The halving/close to the halving should increase btc rewards but it’s also likely going to blow up the prices of ASIC machines making it completely not feasible for retail investors.

While I mine using a KD5 and two KD-boxes, and a CK5 and I’m waiting to take delivery of my L7, I don’t consider myself one of the big boys. I consider myself a desperate gambler. I took all my robinhood fiat investments and sold them and bought asic crypto miners with the proceeds. I want freedom that the 9-5 doesn’t provide. I say desperate even after paying off the mortgage. Freedom looks a lot different once I became debt-free. A thousand dollars is big money to me, heck, I fret over spare change.

2 Likes

The thing with mining cost v Roi you just gotta see it as a investment, put your mined crypto into a % gain to max the outcome , and its like the stockmarket you are in for the longer haul vs imidiate gain, got myself a kd box 2 days ago , and i will convert that into bitcoin and then stake it to get gains on it , also its a long term goal that you have to set, if you are going to watch each hour-day-week-month it will discourage you doing that, spend what you can afford without going belly up

1 Like

Classroom definition of a good investment is an ROI of 15 months.

2 Likes

In the situations you describe, where are you getting machines for that great a price? I’m new to this.

Not many new startup businesses ROI in less than five years. A one to 1.5 year ROI in crypto mining seems quite reasonable to me.

1 Like

But you have to parse out that ROI in this arena is based on a piece of technology. And ROI, when considering rate of advancement in technology, needs to be considered differently than standard business models.

When personal return is based on competition with other miners, expecting a miner that is competitive today to be anything in 5 years might be a bit shortsighted. Granted, miners that were great 3-5 years ago may still pull a return now. But miners are growing by leaps and bounds right now and more companies are jumping into the market. So you could buy a high end miner today and I wonder will it will stand in 18 months (let alone 5 years).