New to Mining. Could use a little help!

Are you saying NRG is a bad investment? Cause I was seriouslly considering dropping some serious cash in that as well.

1 Like

Sorry, bad sentence structure. I just meant proof of stake in general, not NRG or Dash in particular (Dash is more or less the king of proof of stake currently, at least by market cap). But, you should research it and understand what you are getting into.

As a more specific example, 1X2 was one of a handful of betting based POS projects. It seemed fairly legitimate, with a functioning betting web-site and a small user base. But, quite recently, it completely disappeared. Social media accounts were deleted, the web-site disappeared, as did the developer with funds exchanged for his currency. The value of the coins dropped about 90% overnight, leaving many investors out of luck.

I personally have some funds in POS coins, but nothing that would be a financial hardship if I lost it. Smaller projects tend to be riskier, but can be rewarding if they jump in price and you are willing to sell, rather than hold them. Bigger projects tend to have lower ROI, but at this point are probably a safer bet. Still, like any investment, there is always some risk.

I feel like I should tag on, not financial advice, lol. Just trying to note that your home set-up may not be ideal for lots of GPU mining, but there are other viable methods of investing in crypto.

I have seriouslly considered dropping a few grand into NRG and seeing what happens. I won’t lie though, it does seem somewhat risky lol

Also, a new update. A very close family friend is going to let me set up one of my rigs in his place. He’s on a electrical plan with a flat rate per month as long as he doesnt exceed 2000 kwh a month.

1 Like

You will have issues cabling a 12 GPU rig from a single power supply. It can be done but it is a fire waiting to happen. I would recommend 2 power supplies at a minimum. Beyond the breaker size being 20 amp, it is even more important that 12GA wire was run to that circuit. A lot of people just pop in a larger breaker and think they now have a 20A circuit which is another fire waiting to happen. Also, size the power supply for (max GPU power + 100 watts) x 1.5 because at some point, windows will decide to drop your overclock/undervolt settings.

The H110 is a great board and I own several. Just make sure you power the two molex connectors on the board. It is supposed to support DDR4 2400 if using a 7th gen CPU but I have yet to make that work but it isn’t a big deal. Still a great board. I have had good luck with Mailiya risers.

I would look at regular non-XT 5700s. You can find used ones for under $300 on ebay and cheaper new ones for $329 or so. With a little tweaking and BIOS modding, they get 56-57 MH/S on ETH at 85-100W so they will bring in more $$ than a 1660 will. Reference design cards draw a little more power 100-110W but the memory stays cooler. If you are using whattomine to compare cards, their power consumption and hashrates for each card are way off in some cases. That said, if ethereum goes progpow anytime soon, Nvidia cards may be the way to go. A 5700 gets around 16 MH/s at 130W or so on progpow. Not the best hashrate but still among the most power efficient.

1 Like

hell yea I love that GPU I have 2 non Xt’s and one XT and i definitely agree go non XT I have another one on the way now and I am trying to sell the XT to get another

XT runs hotter uses more power gets the same hashrate and gives me issues with software not seeing the fan speed

The XT using more power might just be the BIOS. I tried Red BIOS modded non-XT and XT BIOS on mine and the XT BIOS used more power on the same cards and got the same hash rate. I see a pretty big difference in power consumption even between identical GPUs at the same settings so it could just be the card too. That silicon lottery thing is definitely real. I have to baby a couple cards to keep them stable since they can’t handle as much memory overclock. The other 18 cards run great at 1840 MHz memory but I can’t keep those two stable above 1800 MHz.

1 Like

So, what to mine says that if I run 6 1660 supers and 6 2060’s it should be be around 1320 watts. Crazy question, would that work on my 1600 watt supply safely or should I buy a second power supply and 6 card rig? I’m finding it increasingly difficult to find evga power supplys.

Try Mercari, and I would run more than one with that many GPU’s just to safely wire all the Risers and such with out too many splitters

before I check national site I always check 3 local sites

Facebook Market Place
Letgo
Offer Up

then I check Mercari after that I go to

NewEgg
NerdGearz
Ebay
Amazon

If I were you I would have learned how to mine on your current computer then moved on to bigger stuff once you feel comfortable. You can mine 0xMonero on an older computer (instructions at 0xMonero dot com). Mining can get expensive quick and you need to know how to swim before jumping into the deep end.

1 Like

dude speaks the truth just check my journey and you will see how I went from few hundred bucks playing around learning to spending 3k in a few weeks lol

Practice mining on your current hardware before investing. 0xMR is fairly mineable on older CPU and GPU’s.

I have my gaming rig, 2080 super running kawpow with cudominer right now. Averaging roughly a dollar a day. Things are going fairly well. Card is running at a consistent 27MH at 184w at 76 degrees.

that’s too hot! lol I would cut the wattage to around 120-140 or even lower I am running my 1050 ti on Kapow using only 65 watts anymore and the temps head straight for the 70’s at 65 watts it stays under 60

Really? The cards max temp is like 90 degrees celcius. Guess I could crank the fan up. And I don’t think I can get it much lower unless I cut the power. That’s at 75%

idk I am pretty new to this myself I know that when they get over 70 they turn red in HiveOS so i try to keep them under 70 I think you would be suprised how much you can cut the power on Kapow and still get the same hasrate my 1050 ti is running at about %55 max power

I’ll try reducing the power tonight. I would love for someone to get a 2080 super and share the clocking specs with me.

So does a metal backplate make a difference? My assumption is that it would keep the card hot and have a detrimental effect on air flow.