RX5700XT rig stability

vick - on my Windows setup I have 4 rigs operating with three of them out in the back shed. I have Chrome installed and I remote in from my main desktop in the study to each of the machines to monitor, tweak and reboot as necessary. You set it up here: https://remotedesktop.google.com/

If they hang though, you will have to go and reboot them manually, but then you can use the remote desktop to determine the issues and fix them.

I use the Chrome remote desktop because it’s free although sometimes a little limited. You can buy more sophisticates access solutions if you need them.

@MeatyMouse that’s already the best internet I can get here, as I mentioned earlier I am in digital divide area, so either this or nothing

@Badfish I’m gonna try out something later today I think, as them still hangs randomly…

Thats 2 days ago:

And thats yesterday/today:

Seems like the GPUs randomly hangs

im getting weird and random hangs on my VIIs as well. for running flawlessly for 7 days, now every 8-12 hours one or more drops to 0-29 Mh/s. very irritating. remote stopping and starting isn’t a fix, have to completely restart the computer and then its off to the races again.

@vlck Looking at your screenshots there, I’m now confused about what those “error” numbers really mean. They can’t be invalid or rejected shares because in that second pic you have 2,340,423 in 2 days and 1 hour. That would mean that your GPU was finding and invalidly submitting more than 13 shares per second!!! Or does it simply give some random high number as a form or error reporting?

@PTCrusader I was getting the same for a while. My RX570 rig stabilised about a week ago after some detailed fine tuning that resulted in a slightly lower hash rate but no hanging. It started with one GPU and when I tuned that to make it stable, another one would start to play up. I eventually got them all stable and been mining away without the need for me to go out to the shed (in the middle of winter) to restart the rig.

1 Like

Yeah, I can already tell, this adventure is going to be a love/hate thing. I think I might set more virtual memory to try and cram stability down their throats. lol

why not find a proof of stake coin instead of proof of work sounds like it would be more profitable

The GPU just hangs and starts flooding the “incorrect shares” error, about 10 times per second, it doesn’t actually find any shares…

@MeatyMouse PoS coins are just not worth/too risky for me. From a day to another you can get slashed and lose everything, including the one you bought. Nah, not gonna adventure into that.

Eitherway, I now have to shut it down for couple days, cause some peoples in my house turned on too many stuffs and electricity went out while the rig was working, when it came back up, it busted my whole PSU connectors, completely fried :sweat_smile:

I wanted to wait a couple time before getting an UPS with protection, but I guess should’ve done that earlier.

Hmmm, that reasoning makes no sense. Some one is willing to pay $1500 to buy hardware to mine… Ethereum. Yet buying $1500 in Ethereum is too risky? I mine Ethereum, Monero, and BTC (or at least I get paid in it on NH) but I also buy some each week. I look at the mining as a forced way of cost averaging the same coins I buy.

1 Like

@PTCrusader it actually make very sense.
in PoS: you buy 1500$ of coins, get slashed, all gone, you lost 1500$
in PoW: you buy 1500$ hardware, you keep mining indefinitely multiple coins and you still have your hardware, never lose any moneys at all

If you believe that the coins you mine have a chance of going to ZERO then perhaps you shouldn’t be mining those coins. I only mine coins I believe in and I spend about 15% a month of my investing funds in speculative. Remember, if you take 1000 and invest in 5 coins and 4 go to 0 but the other one rises x100 you actually double your money.

I am not intending on criticizing you as much as trying to get you to look at it in a different way. Buying and holding is boring, building and mining is exciting and entertaining. I believe, if a person really wants to be successful, they should look to do both.

I just read a story that says that only .24% of the earths population can own ONE bitcoin, yet there are huge holdings of the coin. If you can get to that 1 coin asap, think of what that will mean in the future. Get to it ASAP and then stake it on Crypto.com. Get to 34 Ethereum coins ASAP, then stake it as well. These are the numbers that will change a persons life. Mining should be looked at as a hobby. IMHO

Switch to the HiveOS beta release.

Navi cards need to be on run on beta version. I’ll bet ya .01eth that fixes your “problem”

Download and setup the beta release, work through all the updates and then see which version of AMD drivers your on, you may need to update the drivers.

Then try these settings

linky

edit to change pic to include kernel version…

3 of the 5700’s above are out of the box stock, no timing or bios mods. I think the second card has the bios mod & timing changed. The difference in output/hashrate when pushed isn’t worth the extra current draw.

I’m interested in trying HiveOS but I’m useless on anything but Windows.

Can you tell me if it is difficult to tweak card settings in HiveOS because at the moment in Windows, I’m getting 52.5MH/s on my non-XT 5700s but I’m only drawing 75 watts on each card. Where I come from power is expensive (till my solar gets installed) so I wouldn’t be keen to go with a linux based system unless I can achieve similar numbers.

On Polaris or Nvidia cards it’s a breeze to tweak things, Navi cards not so much.
There are some “issues” with HiveOS and Navi based cards. Seems AMD & Linux dont play well together…
Supposedly the V2 beta release resolves some problems, I haven’t tried it so i cant comment.
Not bashing HiveOS or their work, I’m happily using their software on 2 of my rigs.

I just tried HiveOS for the first time and it isn’t very tough to use but so far I think I still prefer Windows. HiveOS seems to require higher core and memory to get the same hashrate as Phoenix miner in Windows. I still don’t know how you are getting 75W at 800mV though. Post a screenshot of it mining. What kind of 5700s are they? I want some of those.

Windows is a few watts higher but also gives a little higher hashrate.

HiveOS had some rough releases lately but they seem to have them all sorted in the latest updates rigs are running smooth as silk now

@bick0012 Here’s a screen shot from a few minutes ago (1839 GMT +10).

GPUs 0, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 are un-modded ASUS Radeon RX5700 TUF Gaming X3’s and GPU’s 1, 3 and 7 are modded (to RX580) ASUS Radeon Strix RX570 Gaming cards.

Since I had a power glitch a couple of days ago I’ve had to ease up on the settings for GPUs 0 and 8 - both kept crashing until I dialed back the overclocking and the undervolting but still getting decent hash rate for minimal power.

Also, these are the Adrenalin settings I use on the RX5700s - I posted these on another thread about a week ago:

BTW the listings here don’t line up with those shown by Phoenix Miner :grinning: GPU3 here is actually GPU4 in Phoenix Miner - a mapping activity that took me quite some time to work through.