Anyone else have issues running more than 2 Radeon VII?

I am looking to get to a 6x Radeon VII rig, but am adding them slowly as I find them for decent price. I currently have 3 installed, but the system will only fully initialize with 1 or 2 active. It doesn’t seem to matter which 2 either. The computer will start up and go through its cycle with all 3 cards lighting up, but it doesn’t send any signal to the monitor. Then if I shut it down, unplug the riser on one and it boots up fine. As I said, any combination of 2 will boot up fine and the cards are recognized. How the hell am I supposed to get 6 going? :frowning: I thought about it being a power issue, but at full mining they only pull about 250W each so with 3 and the system it is only about 1000W.

Im running

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600
1 x 8GB RAM
1600W PSU
On risers with server power

I am in the same boat. I am a TOTAL n00b to mining but have MANY years of PC building experience.

I started with the 2020 VoskCoin edition of the mining rig for under $1k.

I then realized it only has three slots. So I switched to the B450-F because it has 6 slots and I want to stay with Ryzen. I had originally ordered a 3600… and it came with the small fan. So I sent it back and got a 3600x. Then I realized I wanted to use a “G” CPU so that I could use all the GPU’s for mining and “not waste any cycles” of a GPU on the display.

So, I have a Ryzen 5 3400G
The asus B450-F MB
16GB of 3200 RAM (Same as the original build.)
And I have 6 MSI 1660 Super OC’s.

And I can’t get past two GPUs? Right now it has three in it. But it only sees two.

GPU1 is in the far right slight with a riser, closest to the CPU.
GPU2 is in the long slot right next to it.
GPU3 is not attached. It seems when I plug this in and start up, all hell breaks loose and I have to reset the cmos.
GPU4 is hooked up and running in SLOT4. But the machine is apparently ignoring it?

I am running HIVEOS with phoenixminer.

@VoskCoin Can you help us? I have been following you and Red Panda Mining.

Based on the tables in the users manual on page 1-8, I don’t think this motherboard can handle it with a G Ryzen installed. And I still don’t think it can handle it with a NON G Ryzen installed.

With all that said? What are the options at this point? Is there a AMD 4 Ryzen MB that can do this? When you put the integrated Graphics CPU in a Ryzen based motherboard, does that wreak havoc on Mining by eliminating the use of some of the PCIE sockets?

I cannot find ANYWHERE in the BIOS where I can turn the slots down to 1x or even 4x.

I had a 3600, two 3600x’s and this 3400G. I sent the 3600 back. I also sent one of the 3600X’s back as well.

I did build the “pc” in the video. Same case, 32GB of RAM, 3600X CPU, 850W Thermal Take PSU, and I also ordered a 7th MSI 1660 Super OC for it. It’s a sweeeet PC.

But I want to get my miner working so I have set that aside for now.

TIA.
-Smurf-Slayer

The most you can have running on this board is actually 5. That is because in the bios settings, there is an option for if, then =. if slot 3 is used, then 2 is disabled. OR if slot 2 then 3 is disabled. I cannot get the why. Also, you have to change the slots to Gen 2.

Its a good gaming MB which is why i kept it. with the VIIs, the most i could run is 5 so i will run it that way, sell my cards when im done, and then use the MB for a gaming computer. The 3600s are awesome CPUs that mine (without adjustments) $12.00 a month.

Thanks @PTCrusader!

I found that in the instructions in section 3.6.5…

I had enabled on board Graphics instead of GPU…

I had set the PCI slots like you said…

But now I am back to the RED CPU light again. And this time I can’t clear it. I have had the battery out several times and reset the BIOS/CMOS several times.

The rig ran with two GPU’s for almost 4 days before I shut it down to make the bios changes…

I can’t get past the red CPU light, so I am stuck. Any ideas?

I have the Ryzen 5 3400G CPU

-Smurf_Slayer

hmmm,

i had that issue one a different board and it actually wound up being a bad RAM stick.