Anyone have any input on how to decrease one hashboard overheating on antminer?

Hey guys, so I have two antminers, one is running appropriately, the other every so closely overheats and will turn off when temp gets to manufacturer specified shutoff temp. I guess I was wondering has anyone has one baseboard get much hotter that the others, and how did you fix it?

1 Like

My guess would be unless you know how to mess with the board, probably best to just replace that board

1 Like

Use the search bar on the main page and check out ‘Air Ducts’.
I did that and too many threads pop up, you should check them all out.
In short, 3D printed ducting is a popular thing, because a lot of people are trying to solve heat issues.
Simply reading those threads , there is so many hints/points everyone contributes.

I immediately thought of this post/thread

Where @ShredZ list the Temps while running his ducting Vs. without and talks about Cubic feet and the performance aspect of it all.

I kind of think you’re referring to a more particular issue than just air flow, but stellar air flow is always a great place to start.
The issue with over heating and burnout’s, it only goes downhill from there.

2 Likes

Hey Kadiyania! Thank you! Yes I think I solved the ducting issue in the past couple of days. I had bought the AC 8 inch heavy duty ducting but it was actually a crap product and kept ripping and tearing. (It wasn’t heavy duty) So then I ordered the semi rigid aluminum ducting and it has been working spectacularly. I think it is worth noting that the miner that is overheating is in a position that has two slight turns but nothing that I think would restrict airflow. Ill post a pic of my set up here in a couple of minutes and maybe you or someone else will have more input.

2 Likes

The bottom one is the one that is overheating, but I don’t think that the slight turns would make much difference in airflow. idk I might be wrong. lol

1 Like

This is actually a good thought, but if in the case that it is a ventilation issue, or maybe even a thermostat issue I’d like to get those ruled out before buying a new board. I was also just hoping someone had run into a similar issue and could tell me what their issue was. lol

2 Likes

I have some thoughts , looking at the picture, but not about the particular issue you’re referring to in this thread. More of a theory in thermodynamics.

Hot goes up, cold goes down. Hot expands (thin), cold contracts (thick).
Looking at the pic, the ASIC’s appear to be about 4-6.5 feet off the ground.
Even with air ducting, they will transpire heat. the laws of transpiration say once an object heats up, transpiration increases. So the warmer a machine gets, the more its ability to dissipate heat increases, thus increasing all heat in a upward trend.
So your ASIC transpires heat into that room, since heat goes up, the heat rises above the ASIC unit to the ceiling, the air being drawn into the ducts will come from lower, as the denser (cold) air is effected more by air flow than the thin (hot) air. So you will end up with a bubble of warm air hovering around the ASIC (and the room) as they try to draw cooler air from below.

So here’s the theoretical idea I propose. Wrap the entire metal wrack in shrink wrap (or some barrier), including the top. Seal it in. But… leave the bottom section of metal wire shelf open, to draw in fresh air. This way, and residual heat transpired by your miners gets trapped inside that containment and is more likely to be pulled out of the ducting , exiting the facility.
In theory, By stopping heat from building up at 4 feet and higher, the entire room drops in temperature, thus making input air a pinch cooler than an open air room.

I will add, this idea is not new. I’ve seen other people feel both way’s. Some folks say , it’s just too much heat all together and open air is almost a must. Maybe it depends on where they live and normal temps in their facility.

Other folks have tried putting their ASICs in 24" PVC piping, so the entire miner is inside the ducted air flow, issue’s with that is the line of miners heat the next one in line. So #1 is cool and the last in line is hot to the touch.

So take my theory into consideration but maybe not practice. Make sure it works for you, because their are folks who say “No don’t do that”. With 2 miners is obviously different than 10 miners.

An expansion on this idea is to contain/enclose the unit, but add a 3rd fan/duct up top. So this way, air is flowing passed the miners, as well as through, but being drawn from the lowest/coldest point (the floor)

Another lesson here, input (overall) is key. I remember opening the front door to my facility and it would swing inward/open. Because all the 805 CFM fans ended up drawing around 40,000 CFM , but there was not enough intake flow to accommodate the draw. So we basically had to knock bricks out of the exterior wall to make an opening big enough to draw in 40,000 CFM. So I’m guessing you have 2 -800 CFM fans (or 1 split in a Y duct). Does the room allow for that volume of input. (I think that’s a basement) With the basement door closed, and the front door closed, where is the 1,600 CFM of fresh air coming from? Very often people close doors and windows and 800 CFM turns into 50 CFM, as the fan itself starts making more heat than it is moving and transpiring. Alternatively, if you provided air 50% cooler than the ambient temperatures, the 800 CFM would actually increase to 900 + CFM as the cold air is that much denser.
Yeah… I’ve spent way too much time with HVAC , lol,

2 Likes

Holy shit! Kadiyania, you’re a genius!! It did start to overheat when I shut the door. I’ll get back to you. Just curious dude if you have 40,000 CFM how big is your farm?

2 Likes

That was actually , hmmhmhm (clears throat), more a greener type of farm.

39,000 square feet.

3 Likes

Wow crazy! So now Im going to run into a problem I was concerned about from the get go. The only inlet of air comes from the hallway in the basement. Well that is the hallway Im kicking the hot air into, so now it’s pulling the hot air from the hallway into the basement. :confused:

1 Like