Anyone have much experience with noise reduction?

there’s the upstream data, DIY, “black box”

1 Like

I’ve built them out of corrugated plastic sheets from the hardware store and sound deadening foam from Amazon, some insulated dryer ducting works great to bring the hot air outside as well.

I like that black box design, probably one of the better ideas out there. Might even be able to improve on it with some sound engineering and trying different dampening materials.

Should also note, the bolt on silencers are not effective and will tend to cause you to overheat, so be cautions with those.

1 Like

I’ve heard immersion mining is a huge reduction in noise.

1 Like

Personally I have made a DIY Blackbox, and 3D printed shrouds and put exhaust fans on miners. The Blackbox is good and brought my L7 down to 65Db but if you do not have it 100% sealed between the hot side and the cold side then it can get hot inside there quickly. From memory even though I did have mine sealed, the temperatures would rise 1 degree per day just from the miner itself. So it was fine in winter but when spring rolled around I took it out, I used a broken chest freezer and also added acoustic foam but that didnt make a difference considering it was already insulated. I defs prefer hooking up exhaust fans because I can put a dust filter on it to keep it clean and can overclock it, and also the sound is much quieter if you get a quiet fan, I think the AC infinity fans are under 50Db. I’m also looking at getting a Fog Hash immersion cooling tank so I am looking forward to that, in terms of sound I think that will be the best, not that it’s an issue for me but when I get it I will post the sound results. Hey @live4soccer7 sorry if you’ve already answered this but what’s the sound like on your unit? Cheers

2 Likes

I have 4 S19’s in my detached garage beside my bedroom with double galzing. I can’t hear a thing. They only run at night when the power is cheap. I went outside recently as the neighbours are trying to rent thier house out and cricky it’s loud coming out the font. my bedroom goes from silent to 58db if I open the window. I have a 30M driveway and I can still hear it at the street. So I’m probably not making frends with any of my single glazed neighbours.
So I’m going to shroud and inline fan them all. Question is - Has one unsed the Goat:

Is PETG good for not melting at the exhaust?
Should I just suck up to @ShredZ and see if he can make me some …

1 Like

Someone actually tried to donate money to me for my shrouds on thingiverse which was nice to know someone appreciated them, honestly shipping costs more then the print itself, it probably costs $35-$40 aud for both sides off the top of my head. I reckon you might find a local 3D printing company that might print it for you, if not I happily can print some for you

In terms for not melting the exhaust I use PLA which has good strength but not the best known for its heat resistance and I’ve never had an issue so I would t stress too much, like to print it goes through the extruder at 200-220 degrees Celsius as it’s melting point

I went with the GOAT kit + Njord Cloudline from miningwholesale.eu
PETG does slightly higher temps, and getting from The Netherlands appears to be chepaer than any other shroud and controller I could find. Hopefully it will get here before I go away.

Wow holy shit I did not know about the board that can control the speed through a Bitmain control board that is awesome, just make sure you have an exhaust fan, doesn’t even have to be on the miner itself like if you have exhaust fan in your garage sit it in front of that, that’s what I’m doing at the moment and it runs just as good as having another exhaust fan attached to the miner

Currently I have 2 8" AC Infinity fans extracting the room. I plan to get 2 more and push air into the miners ducted direct to outside so the room won’t need extracting any more.
There are 2 generic dumb in line fans pushing air into the room, and some vents. Skyline type buildings aren’t very airtight in the first place.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for my shouds to turn up. But I’m wondering if anyone is pulling air rather than pushing air. I can see lots of places to get air pulling shrouds bit I haven’t seen anyone actually do it. Everyone that’s done a vid on it is pushing. For my purposes, pulling would be much more convenient. Who has an opinion?

I have not tried pulling on its own, but my temps are 15-20 degrees better pushing and pulling compared to just pushing. I’d suggest doing both, sounds like a good excuse to buy a 3D printer mate, I can send you files for shrouds I’ve designed