Best Helium Antenna for Rural Long Range?

I’ll be setting up a bobcat 300 miner at my parents farmstead, which is a solid 30 miles from the nearest hotspot. I’ll be mounting this puppy on a 25 ft flagpole on their roof, so something like 35 ft up. I’m thinking a 9dbi directional antenna pointed at the closest city with hotspots, but I’m looking for specific suggestions. My inlaws, on the other hand, are in a super rural location, 150 miles from the nearest hotspot. Is there any possible way to hook them up effectively?

You may put it 35 ft in the air on a pole, there are others things that can get in the way of the direction that would be the most benefit. Hills for one. Other RF towers.

The dBi I have tried did not seem to help much, but I only gave each about 3-4 days of use.

The 8dB did not seem to work as good as the current 5.8dB I have on my pole now.

This is really something you are going to have to try and see your results of witness. you are not looking for just beacons, you want to hit the hotspots that answer as witness.

my 4dBi BobCat is hitting 8-13 Witness in the middle of town and my Bobcat with the 5.8 in rural is hitting only 4 most of the time. Remember, the ones you are trying to hit are the ones that are not in relay. its not your fault they cannot setup their own equipment, but if they are in relay status they will not be a witness.

2 Likes

Good info. I’m trying to get my hands on one of these before my order arrives from Bobcat. Just to be sure I understand correctly…it doesn’t matter if you can reach other hotspots, they have to be able to “see” you too for it to count?

read here

these 3 are the HNT makers. its a 2 way conversation in some respect. Beacon, Witness, Challenge.

2 Likes