Bitmain VS Canaan Avalon on Quality

I’m looking to buy some Asic miners but unsure of the quality of the brand. I had good experience with Bitmain (S9k 14th/s), Bad with innosilicon (T2T 30th/s), but I never used Canaan before. I’m not looking to debate in term of ROI but more of after purchase service, does it break down easily, any common problem like heat or decline on th/s overtime?

The option I currently have is S19 90Th/s and Avalon 1166 pro 78Th/s.

Feel free to share your experience and lmk your opinion!

What’s the price for each?
Do you know the wattage for each?
I’m assuming the S19 is around 3250watts and the 1166 is around 3400watts.

Vnish or something similar could possibly make the S19 more efficient. I’m not sure about aftermarket firmware for the 1166.

They both work well and for a long time. Keep them clean. I personally would always choose the S19 unless you have free electricity.

1 Like

I have a flat rate on my electricity so no matter how much I use, I will always pay the same. I can put up to 8 miners of both brand with my current electricity setup.

I already calculated the ROI estimation, but I want a more steady option rather than quick money to end up with broken machines that need to be send over to oversea and potentially getting confiscated by you know what :joy::sweat_smile:.

From my experience Bitmain warranty work is very hit or miss. I have had to work on miners after them and I can tell you the New Hampshire shop is an absolute joke! If they can’t fix it on the first try, it’s deemed non repairable and you have to pay return shipping even if it’s under warranty. And to make matters worse, they steal parts off your “non repairable” board!

My only experience with Avalons is they run about 10c hotter than S19’s in the same condition. They seem to run fine even at the hotter temp.

As for build quality… Bitmain is decent. It’s built to last about 2 years which is usually the ROI time period. But conditions it is ran in has a lot to do with how long they last before giving problems. Also the newer products have aluminum backed PCB’s and are harder to work on.

Seeing how your power bill is fixed, I would go with the cheapest cost per TH. At this time for new would be S19’s 86th which should cost around $925-$950. Next would be S19’s 90th at around $1,000.

Used would be 17 series. You can find T17+ or S17+ for around $8/th for refurbish units with mono heatsinks.

1 Like

@IcyShotz I own an Avalon 1166 that I had hosted at Mining Syndicate. About a year ago I had them unplug it as the cost per month was way more than I figured I would ever get back after BTC tanked. I told them to sell it for whatever and send it to me after they took whatever was resonible for broker fee. So far I haven’t heard anything. Hopefully they still have it.

Assuming they still have it, I would consider selling/renting it to you for a percentage of BTC mined. You wouldn’t have any upfront costs. Details would have to be worked out. DM me if interested. Virtual handshake works for me.