Btc miners new or used?

Ive been into crypto for the past year and a half. I’ve been thinking about getting into mining. I honestly don’t have the money to buy a new miner .would it be a good idea to buy a used one ,and if so what and where would be a reliable place to get one? Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

So what would be your budget and electric rate be?

Because I know some low power using miners that could make 30 to 60 cents per day before electric, which will only cost 200 to 300 dollars. But they both use only 100 watts each.

Another option could be that you get a miner on ebay and pay in monthly instalments.

But the most starter friendly, low power using, profitable miners are the ipollo mini ones. So the ROIs on those mini box miners are around 18 months without accounting for the electric, which is pretty good. (Just one miner won’t really spike your energy bill up).

Welcome to the community, and I hope you enjoy you new crypto mining adventure @Rod_Jr.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of those mini type miners, that Krisz talks about. They’re pretty cheap to start.
Used mining gear is a crap shoot. We like to think the person took excellent care of the miner. Filtered air, climate controlled but that’s rare. More likely they upgraded the firmware version and did some overclocking to max out profits, then re-installed the recommended firmware to sell.
But isn’t that the same story with anything new or used.

Anyone can buy some miner and force themselves to learn. But the littlest tricks are hard to learn and better done cheaply. For instance, learning about difficulty, mining pools, % fee’s, TX iD’s, your own home internet network, electric fee’s and/or anyone of the issue’s that arise.
Often with folks new to mining, connecting to a mining pool and configuring settings can be tricky. When troubleshooting, no one wants to think/hear “a used miner”, that just makes more possibilities of what the issue might be. Most often the issue is an extra space or wrong # in the settings or configuration. Simple issues that you’re better off having figured out.

And when I say “mini type miners” , I mean any type/brand that cost about $250-500 bucks, use’s a couple hundred watts of electricity (or less) and plugs into a normal 120 outlet.

Also remember there are a ton of crypto miner scams. Watch Vosk video’s and use links he gives in very official ways. Feel free to ask the community if you feel sketchy about a vender.
Welcome to Voskcointalk. Cheers Mate.

2 Likes

@Kadiyania essay master, hope you’re doing gud

3 Likes

Thank you for the help ! I do appreciate it ! :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for the info . I will look into the “mini miners “ :smile:

2 Likes

I am intrigued… Please do elaborate. Peaked my interest with 100w and $200-300.

Thanks,

Doug

1 Like

He’s most likely talking about g1 mini which Losses money roughly 10 a year all box miner are a hobby it’s not going to make u much of anything at all. So if u hope to make money it will never be off a box miner as of now

2 Likes

To be honest it’s more hobby then income for me. I just mine to stack coins. I was just wondering what miners he was referring to as more of a conversation starter to broaden my miner “collection” and definitely not a per say get rich quick plan. I don’t mind breaking even on a miner with my future plans. Love my G1 Mini and I’ve almost broke even which the price I got it for.

Thanks

Doug

1 Like

Also if you are spec mining you can get the ipollo v1 mini classic on ebay for 190.

It uses around 100 watts, makes 30 cents a day, but will use around 25 cents of electric at 10 cents per kwh. So it’s only good for spec mining and being a great low cost, entry point mini home miner.

1 Like

Spec mining right now would only be useful if you are targeting certain coins.

2 Likes

Essentially yes that’s what I’m doing. I’m looking to mine coins without a care for profits, this isn’t my source of income. I’m fine with just mining coins to mine them. I’m more into the tech stuff then the get rich Lambo stuff.

Thank you for the tips,

Doug

2 Likes

I would go with a new miner as the prices are low now. A Bitmain or m50 whats miner. The better efficiency you can afford the better the miner. I would not go for anything less than 100Th or a efficiency less than 29.5j I am currently running a 100Th 2950 Antminer. Not making money but not losing. When we have another bull run I will sell some. This is what I love about mining as the profit is not calculated until you sell the coin and you have a machine that you can resell so there is some worth to the machine. This is why I like mining better than buying the coins.

2 Likes