Budget cards? nvidia/amd

Uhh well i guess my username says it all XD. im looking for some cheap gpus as im pretty new to mining

Currently i have ONE rx 470 lol guess you gotta start somewhere. looking for some suggestions!

You looking at new only or used market?

1 Like

Just used

How many cards you hope to get and what price range per card you like?

I would say go with 6GB or better cards running at minimum GDDR5 w/ a memory bus width of 128bit or better as some general rules to weed out things that aren’t worth looking at. From that list look up models you like and see their power at stock and with optimizations, for planning power needs per your other thread, and see if they can profitably mine anything besides ETH. I wouldn’t rule out ETH only but keep in mind you might be left with unprofitable cards in an indeterminate time frame.

1 Like

I see, maybe i should go with something like some rx 480 8gb…? decent all around gpu with a pretty low power draw. im hoping to have 4 more cards some time in the future (probably awhile) currently have a little rx 470 4gb mining rvn lol

Have you tweaked your memory speed and power to maximize eff? Is that card profitable on that coin? I haven’t looked at anything older than RX500 series

1 Like

Im pretty sure its somewhat profitable dosent use alot of power and i get 12.5mhs. i make around 18 rvn a day ive been stacking and have around 800 :smiley:

Would love some oc advice. im running 2000 mem which is a little more than the popular presets maybe i should lower it

Have you lowered your power too? I am no expert on it and most people I think use MSI Afterburner if they are in Windows not sure about in Linux tools as I think most Linux systems people use are Mining specific and have built in tools.

I do it on a hobby level and use my PC for multi media hosting & encoding off my CPU and mine off my GPUs so I run Windows and Afterburner. Just tweak till it breaks is kind how I do it and start around the common settings I find for whatever I am mining.

1 Like

Idk if you have discovered EVGA Midweek Madness… Always an option. It’s b stock (referb or recert) stock that’s slightly more discounted. Could always pick up last gen cards and I heard they work wonders on Flux. I’ve never minded Flux though to give you feed back.

Thanks

Doug

1 Like

No i havent heard of that! ill check it out!

1 Like

What type of cards can you get? i do have a problem becuase im using a old motherboard (ddr3) so i dont think it supports anything newer than 1000 series. but it does support all amd rx cards which is strange, but i guess im stuck with amd for now

1 Like

As long as you have PCIe support it is just a matter of lanes supported you can plug a PCIe Gen 4 into a PCIe Gen 2 slot just means you won’t get Gen 4 speed out of the PCIe lanes.

2 Likes

It might work with newer cards but the place I saw said it didnt support anything newer than the 1000 series for nvidia

You can get almost anything you’re looking for starts midnight on Wednesdays and goes for 24 hours. They are the referbs but come with a one year warranty…

Thanks
Doug

1 Like

Sounds great!!

1 Like

New 1660 supers are $209 after 30$ mail in rebate on Newegg. Never mind lol it just went back up. I got one and had it running for a couple days now. It was the MSI shipped by newegg