Can't Get COOL!

Hey gang. I’m running 9 Antminer L7 boxes in a shed behind my house. Well, at least I would LIKE to be running all 7, but I can’t get them cool enough. I live in a residential neighborhood, so the fight between cool and quiet is real.

Has anyone (I’m sure there is) who has solved this problem? Do I put a big ass aid conditioner in there? Do I install more fans?

I have 2 12 inch intake fans and 2 20 inch exhaust fans, plus some passive intake holes. I can only run 6 at a time without overheating, and it isn’t even hot yet. Right now it is 73 degrees outside, and 99 degrees F in the shed.

Thoughts?

scoschro

2 Likes

Being that current price of an L7 is 5,755 x 9.

I would like to propose a rather extreme idea based on overall investment and commitment level.
Following the trend of high dollar science. Do you own your house? If so, go underground. The insulation provided by dirt/Earth is un-matched. While that idea is very extreme, you’re already 40K plus into it. Underground the temps will stay consistent as heck.

When you consider the cost (electric) and effort to stay cool enough to run all machines 24/7, renting a backhoe, buying a international shipping container and hiring a on-site electrician (while building) is almost cost effective in the long run.

Even a smaller ‘bomb shelter’ type made out of Water tanks is within the realm of reality. 2 feet of dirt blocks gamma radiation, so you’d step out of the Sun’s and Solar Radiations reach.

It’s a pretty extreme idea. Maybe just building Earth up around your shed could mimic this method.

Or buy one of those Car ports, the plastic tarp and aluminum post kind (cheep’o type), Simply putting your shed in 100% shade may help. Those tarp/canopies are cost effective.

long url to Harbor Freight, that did not generate a link

If your local ambient temperatures are already hot, I can’t imagine more fans and air flow will do much

Another idea, that takes some imagination, is build your own radiated cooling system. This is gangbuster in indoor gardens, but problematic around electronics . sooo ‘imagination’.
Buy a cheep automotive radiator, preferable aluminum clean/new. Get a small aquarium pump (preferable 1-2 GPM, you don’t want a pump that generates its own motor heat). Build a reservoir out of a plastic tote container. Build a stand/frame out of wood. and jerry-rig some easy PVP tubes/lines (the kind you buy at home depot for 19 cents a foot, not some $40 super lines). Bury the Water reservoir deep in your yard (this keep the water cold). Run the pump/system using gravity, you just drop the water in the top of the radiator and it falls back to the reservoir.
Then add a fan behind the radiator. Or place the radiator where you Draw/intake air into your system.
In short the radiator cools air you pass by it, utilize that air flow and control it.
That could be done for about $150 (I’m guessing), and while it may sound lame or ‘not enough’. Every Car manufacture in the world thinks so.
There is also a product called an in-line water chiller. A professional version of radiated air flow in gardening uses the chiller instead of a reservoir. The chiller uses around 300 watts. So the radiated chiller system can run for much less than conventional A/C

And even these 3 idea’s combined, lol. Go under ground. Put a canopy over that area. and build a room or system that is just to filter/cool the intake air.

1 Like
2 Likes

quiet & cool

2 Likes

Do you have a schematic for this build? Parts, costs, assembly time, etc?

Thank you.

1 Like

I’m getting repairs done on my L7 at East coast ASICS, so I asked him what he thinks of immersion cooling vs water cooling plates. He said water cooling plates are much easier to work with, and he is giving me a quote for the plates/pump/radiator

I think if I don’t go with either water cooled or immersion cooled then I’ll have the same issues as you when I move everything into my container. If I go air cooled I have to cut heaps of holes in my container which I don’t want to do, but if I go water cooled I might only have to cut 2 X 2 inch holes, have the miners inside the container and have a weather proof box outside for the radiator and allow enough airflow for that, which I won’t care about cutting holes and putting vents in.

Also second putting your shed in shade

Just something else to look into mate, might be cheaper

1 Like

Thank you. Shed is mostly in the shade. Right now ambient is 74 F. Inside the shed is 92, and the hottest L7 is running 85 Centigrade. They shut down at 95.

I’m only running 6 of 9 right now. Obviously I’m not there yet…

1 Like

Just thinking. You mention cutting multiple holes, Doesn’t that just mean 2 holes, intake and exit?

I have an idea about intake, forced intake. So if you use 2 800 CFM inline fans for your exhaust, Place a 2000+ CFM on intake. This over suppliers the inline fans 800 CFM (times 2) and allows you to combine your exit lines to 1 exit since you are now pressurizing (in theory) the whole shed and forcing air outward via the intake to exhaust.

Then, on an outside area/unit, treat the intake air. Filters and some sort of cooling idea (like running an, intake, air line under a giant Oak tree, or burying the intake line 2 feet deep and running it for 100 feet before surfacing to fresh air [using cold earth/dirt to insulate and cool the air]), So the intake air is as cool as you can get it 24/7 in a constantly running setup.

I kind of view this as dumbing down inline fans (to save electricity and reduce inline fan generated heat), to maybe 1 intake, 1 exit. All the exhaust lines get combined just before the 1 exit inline fan. I’m always reminded of an HVAC video I saw where the guy preached only 1 fan, on exit, and creating a vacuum of the whole system. The key to the “1 exhaust fan” idea is the system has to be truly air-tight as well as doing pressurized math and using the proper diameter of line to control Vacuum pressure. (E.g. if you used a 12" inline fan, then neck down to 8", you’ve increased the draw pressure (by 1/3 or 33% more) and greatly increased the airs cooling ability)

3 Likes

To get crazier than I can understand.

calculation for the expansion rate of air ?

So we can state that PV = RT where P = pressure, V = volume, R is a universal constant, and T is the absolute (Kelvin) temperature. Thus if the pressure remains constant, V1/V2 = T1/T2.

In short, as you warm the air, you increase volume and effect pressure.

2 Likes

@scoschro @ShredZ

Allow me to bring up a semi-taboo. Anytime we look into cooling or air-flow technology, always cross reference to weed growers tech.
They judge profits by - Grams per watt. Something we , miners, understand all too well.

So cooling efficiency and electric usage directly effects their profits. Since drugs are addictive and marketable, it’s fair to assume they (gardeners) put some dollars and brain power into developing their technologies. As well as working on these topics for much longer than we have. They also want cool rooms and have tons of heat to move and exhaust. They have pioneered ways to hide equipment sound, which we can conveniently use.

A 240 volt weed growing sub-panel, designed to hide activities from the electric company and provide a second layer of breaker safety, is a crypto miners dream. A sub-panel with multiple breakers and LCD electronic read-out of socket usage and line temperatures.

And I get it, it’s not like we want to jump over to the dope growers forums for a night, but some are pretty technically cool and focus on tech while leaving pictures and references to drugs out of the topic.

to recommend a couple places that do not reference drugs.
https://www.planetnatural.com/product-category/growing-indoors/grow-rooms/

https://www.hydrofarm.com/atmospheric-control

3 Likes

one thing, I think there might be a flaw in burying the intake line a little. If it rains, couldn’t water get in, and be sucked into the shed? dont want a cold mist in your shed haha

I think I also have a power problem. Too many machines for my 200 amp panel. crap. Has anyone tried to find a remote hookup somewhere close to their house?