Career in Crypto?

Hey All, I’m in the process of moving to Ohio and don’t have a new job lined up yet. I’d love to make mining my full-time gig, but I’m not at that point yet. I’m curious how many of you work full time in crypto, and how to go about getting a job working in crypto if you are not a programmer or developer?

Go to Pomp’s website, he has a huge hiring page for crypto jobs, as well as some training courses you can take.

Probably you have some skill or understanding that is valuable to the right company- just figure out what it is and then present yourself that way!

1 Like

Similar boat my friend…id love to make crypto my full time gig at some point but its not that simple initially. Just found out a decent rig to pull like a passive $200 a week alone will run you 10 grand. Between mining and trading/investing its like a masters degree program you get involved in learning and theres soooo much crap info to sift through. Im on the journey a year and still feel like a newb. Im just reading and watching every bit of material i can and putting away every free penny in bitcoin and only have like $650 in coinbase. Gonna get a 2nd job to toss in more. Gotta make this a commitment/addiction like mma or some shit…

Ok, here goes . . . . It’s going to be an uphill battle. Only you can decide if it’s worth it (run the numbers; there’s no room for emotions). ASIC rigs are very expensive right now. The breakeven periods are extended for all rigs. Clearly, cryptos are volatile. It’s inherent at this stage of crypto’s lifecycle. Trying to create/predict an income will be difficult (at best).

Mining is an arms race and the solo/small timer miner is paying retail for rigs while the large farms are buying at wholesale, lighting thousands of rigs at a time and driving up mining difficulty accordingly. As difficulty goes up, your yield will go down unless matched by token price increases. Over the past year or so and IMO, mining has been rapidly transitioning to a big boys/corporate game, which is why I focus on alts rather than BTC. But regardless of whether your mining BTC, or LTC/DOGE or KDA etc., if you don’t continually upgrade your hardware (an ever more expensive proposition), then you’re looking at ever dwindling returns.

An example is my own case. I’ve 2 KD5s, an LT5 Pro and an L7. When the KD5s were at their peak, they were pulling in ~$800-$900/day combined when KDA prices spiked 7 months ago or so. Now, they’re pulling in ~$125/day combined. Not bad, but we’re only talking a matter of 7 months for what became a significant decline in yield. Why? Well, KDA prices have collapsed down to ~$5.50 (though still nice compared to the $1.80 it was when I bought my KD5s) and KDA/day/rig has dropped from around 36 KDA/day to 11 KDA/day due to difficulty increases. At one time, my LT5 was bringing in $26/day net. Now, I think it’s ~$5/day net.

Theoretically, I should be looking to add some new KD6 miners to compensate for the aging of my KD5 “fleet”. But when I bought my KD5s, they cost in the $12k ballpark (and had been materially lower only several months prior). But now, Goldshell has decided that they’re going to capture the windfall profits (formerly captured by resellers) caused by FOMO-driven demand and are asking $42k(?) for a KD6 - i.e. if one is “lucky” enough to win their lottery to buy one. There are KD6 resellers too, but expect to sell a kidney or your first born in order to get one.

Also, another consideration is whether you have access to cheap electricity. I recently was hit with an increase in my rate due to new “fuel surcharges”, which drove up my rate from $0.105/kWh to $0.13/kWh. I now have an L7 being remote hosted just to cut down on power costs. But that comes at a price too. First, I don’t have custody (and I strongly prefer custody), Second, the data center’s downtime has been running over 5% (my home setup is ~0.2% downtime/month). Plus they can’t seem to get my L7 connected to Litecoinpool (0% fees) so I’ve been mining to F2Pool (3% fees).

IMHO, the best way to have a “career” in crypto is by creating content. You can code, or perhaps create/sell NFTs (a very volatile market). If you have a good personality and can find a niche, you also could create YouTube content (far more work than most people think, as Drew Vosk likely would attest) but it’ll take a while to attract subscribers, get likes and actually monetize your content.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. And don’t let one old guy’s take regarding mining drag you down. If you run the numbers and have conviction, go for it (especially if you’re a younger person and can bear the risk).

1 Like

@mickeykomtra & @Zilina Thanks for the info Fellas. While I love mining and have been mining for 5+ years now. I was more thinking, of a 9-5 type job within the crypto industry. I’m trying to apply for marketing jobs, as I have 6ish years in traditional media (I’m a radio DJ), or any other job I can find that I might be remotely qualified for. I’d love to make mining my full-time job, that’s the dream, but for now, I still need someone else paying me to work.

1 Like

ahhh I hear ya bruh. I applied to IT tech school in the hopes of getting me closer to this goal…but I got rejected yesterday :frowning: whats the saying “the struggle is the glory.” Cheers and good luck!

1 Like