"Click" sound on mobo, now won't power on...is it dead?

Oh man…I already ordered one from newegg lol. Used for $128, supposed to be the pro with 12 slots. We shall see…

So I did get a mobo from amazon in the meantime. ASRock H270 Performance with 6 slots. It’s working but I still haven’t started mining anything yet. Couldn’t get the mobo to post if I plugged in the riser. So now I have only one card straight on the mobo. It is booted and running but not mining because I’m still trying to figure out Phoenixminer.

ALRIGHT!!! I’m finally MINING!!! Only 91 Mhash but it’s a start!!! Now if I could just get these other 5 cards on!!! If anyone has time, please help me!

You need a bigger power supply with more PCIE outputs.

Risers work best with 6 pin PCIE power but if you must use sata power use an adapter to convert from sata connector to 6 pin pcie.

Amazon.com: 2 Pack Sata 15 Pin to 6 Pin PCIe Cable Video Graphics Card Power Cable 7.8 inch: Industrial & Scientific

Each video card is going to need PCIE power. If card wattage is under 300 watts, you can use a double ended cable or splitter

Amazon.com: Andifany 5-Pack PCI-E 8Pin to 2X 8 Pin (6+2) Power Splitter Cable for PCIE PCI Express Image Card Y - Splitter Extension Cable: Electronics

No more than two risers per sata cable, no more than 300 watts per pcie cable. Best Risers here: Use coupon code Red Panda Mining. Might be typed without spaces.

March 8th Preorder – GPURisers.com – Newest Version Riser 6-Pack - GPURisers

1 Like

Thank you Dollyshunk!

I have a 2400W server PSU otw from parallel miner, but it’s been hung up in FedEx forever now due to weather, they say (and still is). So I am using one 1200W server PSU and two modular PSU. It’s pretty ugly right now with zero cable management. But I didn’t want to spend time making it look pretty just to undo it all when my shipment arrives.

I was reading online and checking the gauge on the cables. Some say they ran fine using a splitter but I just figured since I had enough cables I would err on the side of caution. I did use one double ended cable and another single end on my 3080 Gaming Trios since the load would be shared between the two.

I ended up getting a different motherboard, but it only has 6 pcie slots, which is enough for now. But I plan on buying more cards as a decent price comes along. The scalping has gotten so much worse over the last couple weeks. Almost double the sales price from when I bought my first 3 cards.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thanks much for that!

there are riser usb cards on amazon that give 4, 6, and even 8 USB outputs to your risers if your motherboard doesn’t have enough.

Sharing lanes of PCIE should slow things down, but I’ve tried them with no noticable slowdown.

Amazon.com: Nicknocks New PCI Expansion Card 1 to 4 PCI Slots USB 3.0 Converter Adatper PCIE Riser Cards for Bitcoin Mining Device: Garden & Outdoor

Splitters for power work ok as long as the board power is less than 300 watts. Not good for 3080 unless you control the power with MSI afterburner. Work great on 3070’s

1 Like

I read somewhere that somebody mentioned those PCIe expansions, but that was my first thought, that it would hurt the hash rate. I never did any further research to see if that was true or not. I’m surprised that it didn’t slow you down at all. Maybe the 8-way splitter would impact hash rates. Well, I did order a used biostar mobo from newegg. We’ll see if it ever gets here lol

1 Like

Hopefully the Biostar motherboard you get will have 12 pcie slots.
They make 7 port X1 to USB boards too. Now if you plug two 4 ports boards into two different PCIE slots, the motherboard should be able to handle them on different Lanes.
Like I said, I didn’t see any slowdown using one of those. But the motherboard PEX/PLX divides PCIE lanes up for bandwidth reasons so there has to be some effect.
Also, Most mining motherboards suggest gen2 in the BIOS for the pcie lanes, so speed may not be that important.

1 Like

That is a good point…about the gen2 settings. Maybe for other applications it would be affected, but that’s good new it doesn’t slow down hash rates. Maybe one day I will need to do that to expand without having to buy another mobo and cpu, etc.

1 Like

I was just reading on how difficult it is to get a Mining Motherboard. Don’t need one, and many typical motherboards are just over $120 and they can handle gen 9 and gen 10 processors. Memory speeds are higher on the newer motherboards as well using XMP.

Many boards available to expand those X1 pcie slots. And, M.2 boot drives are great!

Yeah that’s true. Honestly I had no idea it wouldn’t impact mining performance. If I had known, I wouldn’t have ordered the biostar mobo and just kept using the ASRock gaming mobo I got from Amazon for $108. I love having the m.2 drive as well. HiveOS boots really fast on it. I didn’t even remember to check that damn Biostar board to see if it has one and I just checked; it doesn’t. Guess I could always use one of the PCIe slots and buy an adapter. Damn I rushed into buying that lol everything was selling out fast.