Cohosting with Compass

I am looking into purchasing an S19 Pro for a cohosting location with Compass. Right now they have a location available for cohosting in Nebraska at .065 kwh with an upfront cost of $8200 for the miner and a lead time of 7 months.

Does anyone here use Compass for cohosting?

Things like downtime, repairs, and hidden fees are my biggest concerns.

It appears that the hosting fee is included in the kwh price. Is this right?

If this rate holds, some rough calculations indicate one s19 pro could mine up to a half a Bitcoin before the next halving. Right now I see a total overhead cost as roughly $11.8k to mine this half a coin in this time frame at full uptime. What am I missing in these costs?

I am sure I am missing some costs here, I would like to understand the expenses better before I contact them.

Who is familiar with cohosting with Compass?

Thanks for any insight, I am a mining noob and this seems like an easy way to get involved.

2 Likes

I got an AntMiner S19j Pro scheduled to be online at the Nebraska colocation mining farm with Compass Mining @ 10/31/2021.

I also have 2 AntMiner L7 both scheduled to be online by 01/10/2022 at the same Nebaska colocation mining farm with Compass Mining.

I will give updates as of how everything goes with them.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Is this a recent purchase? I only see a mini mining bundle which is overly complex and expensive.

I made those purchase back in July when the L7 was available for US$14k and the S19j Pro was available for US$7.5k.

1 Like

I bought in July (s19 100TH) for $7500 that was supposed to be online Sep 30th but there was an issue with the SC facility, so the date was pushed to Oct 31 and the price per kwh increased to .069 from .062. They did offer to send my miner to me or give me a full refund. I chose to wait.

To their credit they did give me $500 towards power or the purchase of a new miner. I am willing to give them more time to get the kinks worked out of their model. I actually really like them and the MOQs are low.

The bundles are really a measure of your bullishness on btc. If you think it is going up drastically it is a way to scale and hedge. If you think there will be a sustained pullback or less volatility then wait and scale piecewise.

The miner shortage and increased price of btc has lessened their ability to supply miners and they also seem short on rack space so they need to overcome both hurdles to be a force in the mining industry. Long term I am bullish on the model and BTC but make the best decision for you. I will post an update once my miners are online and running.

Edit: Regarding the bundle… Another way to look at it is purely from a supply chain standpoint. You could source 6 miners now via a 3rd party and just host with them depending on the availability of space. I am contemplating that strategy myself. Sourcing miners and hosting locally until space is available in their data centers at a more advantageous kwh cost.

1 Like

I’m impressed they did that. Keep us updated!