Coinbase Bankrupt, wipe out user funds?

Not here to start trouble, but do you think Coinbase can really go bankrupt?

They actually could, yes. But will that actually happen? Small chance. I think the most important thing to look at is COINs cash on hand vs assets under management. They recently reported thier Q1 fincials but I missed it or I would know a bit more. But I think what might be articulating that article is the person who came up with that assumption could possibly be holding a large short position in that company. This is honestly done all the time, even in the crypto market, a person or firm like a hedge fund will take a massive short position and then hire the media or have an article articulated to spread fear, doubt and uncertainty into a stock or crypto to get people to sell. It’s funny how it works but short reports are very effective.

3 Likes

2nd take:

I just read the article and tied in there Q1 report…all I can say is the report was needless to say…CRAP!! Definitely would not touch is as a share holder, I believe the trading volume being nearly 200 billion lower YoY is because the volatility of BTC was low as well, but most certainly has to do with I believe MANY people leaving the exchange to have their actual keys and actual wallet secure.

As far as the Bankruptcy of COIN and losing the funds, it seems this was just a change in regulations and them revealing that was a secondary way of letting people know that it COULD happen in the event of bankruptcy and by law they have to disclose that publicly.

5 Likes

I have my coins in coinbase… Can I move them somewhere that is considered “safe” or do they have to remain in the coinbase wallet? Thanks guys…

1 Like

dyor
you can put them in another wallet, cold wallet, anything.
I moved everything I had off of coinbase
I’m earning interest on deposits made before the tyrant’s grip on Nexo
Maybe I’ll put some stuff back on Midas, but I took a bunch of stuff off of there as well

1 Like

I’ve been just doing everything through the coinbase exchange. I don’t have much but I still want to know it’s safe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No idea… I just want to protect my crypto regardless of what happens… :slight_smile:

I have a trezor and a zelcore and a neuron wallet, not to mention the non-custodial wallets, and the other exchange wallets…
Most of my stash is in the zelcore wallet.

I hear and read great things about Ledger…I don’t have one of those, though.

I’ve used Midas before but transferred to Nexo, but now Nexo doesn’t support interest on new deposits, but Midas does

2 Likes

NOT your key’s, NOT your coins.
Get a wallet and take care of your money. Why would you ever let an exchange do that for you ?

Grow up and take responsibility.

Exchanges are good for one thing ! Exchange your coins into other coins. They will NEVER be good at saving or protecting your coins !

If you have your coins at coinbase or ANY other exchange, you DESERVE to loose them !

wtf is wrong with ppl ?
I hope they go bankrupt !

1 Like

Coinbase will not go bankrupt.

1 Like

I feel like that is the same thing that was said about Luna

Coinbase is an exchange, and Luna was an algorithmic stable coin project. Coinbase has been around since 2012, and Luna was known to everyone last year. You are comparing apples and oranges.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess you’re right. I just feel that the situation described with Coinbase would be relatively similar to what people went through with banks in the Great Depression. You try and take your money out and they say “What money?”. Yes it may never happen, but it doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies that it CAN happen.

So I CB pro is one of the CEXs I use to purchase crypto, but I after purchasing I send to my own external wallets. My funds are only in there while waiting for limit buys to fill but ofc no way to tell timing of when they would do something like that even if it’s very unlikely. What other good options are out there? I use crypto com too but they could be in same position I guess?

I smell something fishy…Ive been waiting on their sweepstakes results for weeks, havent heard shit, did they stiff everyone because of luna?

touchy, touchy!
There are a lot of non-custodial wallet to DeFi money waiting to be made.

Not everyone is going to stack and hold their stash under a rock in the backyard.

Me too I made 10 $100 purchases so I would get 10 entries. I guess they are not giving away prizes anymore. BS

1 Like

Right?! At least tell us who won it ended like a week ago the 1 i was in,…

No company is to big to bankrupt…we should have learned that in 2007/2008. You can only hope they aren’t being risky with peoples crypto and being honest when reporting quarterly numbers.

Keep your coins in a coinbase wallet(not exchange) or metamask wallet they can’t touch those. I have them on my chrome browser. Or you can use a physical wallet. I am on the internet everyday so I just use the wallets on chrome.

2 Likes