Completely New to Mining. First Rig Feedback

I am completely new to mining and the crypto world and I plan to get into this as a hobby. My plan is to build a 4x 1660 Super rig. Everything listed was purchased used except for the GPUs and Risers which I don’t have yet. Risers will be the UBIT risers from amazon and I plan to buy the MSI 1660 Supers. I also picked up a Rosewill 6U 8 GPU enclosed case and an EVGA Supernova 1200P2.

I will use the ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ mobo.

Question 1 - There are two Molex connectors on the mobo around the area of the PCIe connectors. Do I need to plug power into these? From my understanding, since I will be using PCIe power to the risers, I can just ignore these.

Question 2 - I believe the 1200w PSU us more than capable for powering everything. I plan to buy splitters to go from the 8 pin power from the PSU to 2x 6+2 pins. So each 8 pin from the PSU will be powering 1 riser and 1 GPU. Is there any issue with this plan?

Any and all other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to learn as much as possible, but I know I still have a lot to learn.

I will post pictures once I have everything to document my progress.

You don’t have to power the two molex connectors but you should especially if you start adding more GPUs. One 8-pin powering the GPU and riser is fine for 1660s. ASRock recommends filling up the slots with GPUS in a particular order but I have not had any issues ignoring those recommendations. There are plenty of Youtube videos going over mining BIOS settings for this board so make sure you check those out.

1 Like

What is the purpose of those extra Molex connections? I can’t find anything in the documentation that explains what they are used for.

The molex connectors provide auxiliary power to the PCIe slots. They are only needed if the PCIe slots pull more power than the board can handle internally.