Crypto Mining VS AI "Mining"

What’s up guys, just wanted to start some general discussion around Crypto mining versus AI “mining”. But first, what do I mean by AI mining? As AI art and video and other content creation becomes more popular there may be an opportunity to use GPU mining rigs as the base compute infrastructure.

Most data centers are optimized for web or service hosting and I think it would be difficult for services like Microsoft, Amazon, Google, to scale this type of computing into their data centers, at least for cheap. Most AI services are already pay-to-use so people are used to that.

Miners all around the world already have this hardware and someone just needs to build a way to aggregate it.

and to be clear, I don’t think this should be a blockchain or anything, it should operate like a open market where miners accept jobs at a given bid for the job, based on its size, time to compute, ect. and accept what ever payment they’d like.

thoughts, what do you guys think?

2 Likes

Honestly, I would love for it to just stay crypto mining. Dealing with people, is never fun, even if you could make more $$. Also, there’s the factor, that fiat does not (of course) gain value, and wont make you money in a bull market. Say, you have a farm, and someone needs you to compute something ASAP, your 50% done, and your power, or internet goes out. Only losing your own money with crypto mining.

1 Like

good points, In the model I envision you wouln’t really work directly with anyone but instead have a service in between that acts like the market maker / broker. Kinda like a pool.

but if can choose what you get paid in the customer or broker could pay you in your preferred coin, fiat, ect.

I think it really depends on how the service is setup, is it decentralized, open source, ect.

non-the-less, I think there’s a market for it and wouldn’t be surprised if we see something in 2 - 5 years.

1 Like

Yes, I wouldn’t be too surprised at that either. I’ll stick to crypto for now :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I believe it is already been implemented here decent-gpt.com although I don’t know if you can use existing infrastructure outside of a 3900 (or on the off chance you own an A100!)

Hard for me to see AI mining being a key role with ASIC miners. ASIC miners have just one job to do, nothing too complex where AI is needed.

AI would probably be a better fit to somehow tie Crypto and Real world applications…such as making crypto accessible for daily purchases in large and small retail stores.

yes, indeed, I think if anything it would bring new life into GPU minning. Especially for graphical generative AI

1 Like

Update: a friend of mine put me on to this platform salad.com that is along the lines of what I describe in the OG post. I’m going to give it a try and will report back. Seems that you earn points that you redeem for gift cards or other ‘prizes’? Not too much of a fan of that, but interesting to see something like this in action.

Aren’t there already platforms for this, e.g. Dynex?

2 Likes