Efficiency is key! Can we do timed/adjustable hash rates?

Since we have solar(surplus in the day, and running on battery pack at night)
It would be very interesting to me if i in any way could set up a system that ex runs at 100% power in the day time and then like 20% in the night time ?
But is it possible to control the miner (Antminer) in that way?

1 Like

I have seen a guy do this with Luxos firmware on S19 XP miners. I think he lived in the UK and was off grid with 8kw solar and 16kw battery backup, he unferclocked his S19 xp to 18watts/th and was running it at 500 watts. He had heaps of automation for it that was reading his solar production, power consumption, battery levels and was reading the weather radar. However Luxos I don’t know if their firmware runs on hydro which I doubt it does and there’s always the risk of damaging the machine when overclocking/under clocking

Assuming that the hydro you’re getting has a low power mode then it will be possible for sure if you know how to automate changing profiles based on your real time solar production or battery levels. But it won’t be 20% of the standard power usage, it tends to be 60-70%

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered that as well, but as stated by ShredZ it would probably need a lot of custom firmware/software, which usually contains bugs/issues, as well as just the hassle of managing that stuff.

1 Like

I’d never really thought of it but @ShredZ has pointed me down an automation rabbit hole now. So my first bit of google-foo got me here:

What’s good about this first discovery is that Braiins are nativley supporting Home Assistant. So now I need to ge see what Braiins can do for my S19s.
Currently I’m just killing the power at 7am when my rates get too high. Would be so mich nicer to idle them cool and then have them come on gradually as my solar starts working. Not that that is happening in southern hemisphere winter currently.

3 Likes

I automated 99% of changing Luxos on my PC using Autoit via using their command prompt feature, you can obtain and change frequencies and voltages by using the command prompt which will scan every IP on your network and then save it as an excel file. In that excel you can change the voltages and frequencies, then save the file and use the command prompt to update the miners via the excel configuration. However I was not able to complete it because in Autoit I only know how to use the old internet explorer, which is too out of date to read the inverter widgets :rofl: so I need to learn how to use a more up to date browser to make it work

I found IE Mode in Edge works pretty good for a lot of the old things that really like having IE.
Been reading up. Reckon I might get some more BeagleBone boards and swap out my AMLogic ones. I’ll give Zeus another shot as they did fix store issue very quick. I was having an impatient day when it didn’t work.

I have been thinking something similar. Home electric rate averages 12 cents per KW/hr but off peak is just 4 cents. If it is possible to automatically turn my ASIC’s off and on with timers, I would hook them back up to my home mining system. Is this just a pipe dream or a reality?

1 Like

My S19s are currently only on 11pm-7am when I have off peak rates. All are in low power mode so are using about 2KW so any 10A smart plug would work. When they were on full power mode I had 2 smart plugs with rules to turn on or off the second one if the first one was on or off. That way I could see 1.5KW on each and make sure both power conenctions were up or down at the same time. I’m using a 16A Shelley relay on one so it can handle the full 3KW on a single switch.
So they are getting power pulled everyday a 7am and they haven’t broken yet. Currently working on something smarter using BraiinsOS+ but it’s still a work in progress.

Hmm… peak rates. This is interesting. How do you know what your rates are throughout the day? Does it say on your power bill? AFAIK, I only have 1 rate.

1 Like

Yes, it should either say on the bill they send you, if they send one in the mail or on their website.

2 Likes

Your bill should show KWh used at peak rates and off peak rates as sperate line items if you have them. My last power retailer was a flat rate 24/7

I don’t have it. We have seasonal rates, June-Sept (Summer) and Winter rates. The difference is only half a cent. :rofl:

2 Likes