Electrical question: How to safely power (2) GPU mining rigs and (2) ASIC S19 Pro miners

As a newbie to this forum that has never mined with GPU rigs but have a couple ASICs, I’m trying to understand how to power them and if each needs to run through its own PDU, and separate circuit. To prepare for these new rigs I had an electrician install (2) separate 240v/30a circuits which each have their own L6-30P connector like everyone suggests. No my question is if I can plug my Tripp Lite Metered PDU (PDUMH30HV) into one of the new L6-30P outlets and safely power both new GPU rigs knowing each has two power supplies. Here are those specs:

** MINING RIG #1 = 12 GPU
Power: Dual HVVH 1600w power supplies
GPU’s: (6) Titan XP, (5) 1080ti (2 Founder’s Edition, 2 Asus, 1 Aorus Watercooled), and (1) 1080

** MINING RIG #2 = 5 GPU
Power: (1) 850w and (1) 650w EVGA power supplies
GPU’s: (3) 3080 ASUS TUF NON-LHR, (1) 3070 EVGA NON-LHR, and (1) 2080 ti MSI

I have the same question/issue with (2) S19 Pro 110h ASIC miners which have been running from a single 240v/30a circuit through a Tripp Lite PDUH30HV power distribution unit. Although it hasn’t tripped yet, there is lots of heat at the breaker and the draw was metered at 33a on a 30a circuit (with both ASICs running). Is this another instance where I need a separate circuit and PDU for each miner to stay safe? I would hate to have to buy a PDU for each miner and run them on individual circuits. Basically, I don’t understand how to plug multiple power cords from the same machine into a single L6-30P outlet without buying a PDU for each machine when they have like 20 inputs on them. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated as I’m super close to “set it and forget it” income. Not to mention that I already have crypto fever hence these new GPU rigs.

I’ll tackle the ASIC question. Running two S19j Pro 110Ths ASICs on one 30A circuit is bad news. I’m surprised you haven’t tripped a breaker, though perhaps your voltage is closer to 240-245V. At a total of 6500W and assuming 220V, those two miners are drawing 29.5A. I’m not sure what you mean by “metered at 33A”. A 30A breaker should pop before you hit 33A (else, you have a bad or the wrong breaker). And FWIW, at 33A that implies your voltage would be ~196V holding power consumption constant.

IMHO, you don’t need a PDU for high wattage ASICs. The Tripp Lite you referenced maxes out at 30A of total current, or 24A if you want to build in the normal 80% factor of safety rule of thumb, This means you can only get one S19j on each PDU. These PDUs are p-r-i-c-e-y, especially if you can only run 1 ASIC per PDU. Many people mistakenly believe that these offer surge protection. They do not.

Again IMHO, what you need are dedicated 220V 20A circuits (220V double-pole breaker connected to 12/2 cable) per S19j, or 30A (with 10/2) if you have lower voltage and want to build in some overkill. Plus you have 30A circuits already. Anyways, P = V x I, or P / V = I (I = current measured in amps) and each S19j 110 consumes 3250W. So 3250W / 220V = 14.8A. Divide by 80% and you’re at 18.5A baking in some factor of safety.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, very much appreciated! Regarding the two ASIC miners, I can have another circuit added so each is on its own. It might be worth noting that I thought the PDU was needed to allow 2 or more power cords to be plugged in at the same time like each ASIC has. This might be a dumb question but how do I plug (2) power cables into a single L6-30R outlet? The same question applies to the GPU miners if I put each on its own 30a circuit. Since they both have two power supplies what kind of cable or hardware device do I need to combine two C13 power cables into a single L6-30R receptacle. Is it as simple as getting a dual C13 to L6-30R splitter cable (at least for the ASICs) if I ditch the PDU?

Thanks again for your help and support!

1 Like

I don’t have experience with this, but generally speaking it’s better to use a PDU than to use an adapter cable.

As zillina posted, you want to be at 80% of the max amperage. So at 30amps, you want 24amps max. 24A X 240V = 5760W max capacity per circuit.

The 2 GPU rigs combine for 4700W, the Asics combine for 6500W. The 4 machine combine for 11200W, you’d have to swap one of the 1600W PSUs with a lower wattage PSU to get this safely on 2 240V/30A circuits.

1 Like

if you have 3x S19j Pros, 2x 30A breaker at 240v, 2x PDUs can you run all 3 miners on the two PDUs? Having the 3rd miner plugged in so that 1 wire from miner goes to 1 PDU and the other wire from the same miner goes to the second PDU?