Entry level GPUs?

Hi,everyone,

I have tried a little CPU mining of Monero for months and it’s something that I do passivley, but I do not really expect to get rich on it, so I want to step up my game a little and start building out my first MIning rig, then I also want to expand that, and then eventualy build out a few more.

I have an old dual Xeon server board in a gigantic floor model PC case that I do not use. It’s just sitting there. I was intending to use it as a file server for home, but a couple of noob mistakes delaying the build, lack of hard drives, and me deciding I really didn’t need the server just yet, are making me rethink it’s use. I have the basic hardware just sitting there idle waiting for a purpose.

3 things!!! I do not care about electricity cost or efficiency because I pay nothing for it. I also do not care if I can get a better ROI on a higher cost card, or if it is better to buy like 20 cards right away, I am starting with one.I have a very small budget. Lastly, I know people are saying mining is a dying enterprise, but I really want to see if I can at least do something with it. If I had known about it last July, I would have probably invested in specific hardware then, but I didn’t. Oh well. Now I know. Now I am interested. I kick myself enough over it, I don’t need anyone else kicking me for it.

I just want to use this server rig that is just sitting here turned off to start mining something before POS starts to take over Ethereum or something. I know I probably will not get my ROI on Ethereum mining. I don’t care. But time is a wastin’. Speaking of which if this is TLDR, then skip to the asterisks below.

I simply want to get a decent card that is decently profitable right out of the box and hopefully be able to continue getting one card a month, perhaps more if I figure out a way to flip crypto invenstment into a way to fund mining builds. Or some other way to do that.

So, while I could potentially build out this server box into a 5 card rig. One card to start is good enough for me. I can add the rest later.

I have two two other server boards that I would probably be able to build out the same way open air. My bottleneck there is obviously GPU cost and Ethernet connections though so that is not going to hapen yet

So what I have been doing is looking at and bookmarking GPUs that seem to have decent mining stats, to see if there are any on Ebay. Often times I miss out on a buy, because I don’t have enough liquid cash. So I end up looking for another one and then… same thing. The item is sold and I missed out again.

For the first time in mionths, I will be able to afford a single card, and like I said my budget is very limited right now. I am looking for a decent card for about $500 that will get me in the door and still be viable for a while with growing DAG files. Mayvbe later I could aford a $1k+ card, but not right now. I just want to start stacking coins somewhere.

ASTERISKS (they are invisible for some reason? Anyway)

So the question is, for $500, what would people suggest I start to look for as a decent entry card? Cards are out there that fit the requirements (decent hashrate, over 4 GB DDR, $500 ish), but I have no idea what is better than another, or what is a waste of time. And I realize that hashrate charts etc can be misleading.

I already bought the wrong card once but thankfully it was not that much and I needed a replacement card for my main desktop PC anyway. I know I could probably mine with that. I tried maybe 60 seconds with Nicehash and they put me on something like XRP and I have nothing set up there, no pool or anything so I stopped making them money…Plus I am kinda leery about overheating my main desktop right now, thinking about upgrading fans on that one.

Anyway, hopefully someone gets the idea of what I want to do for my first mining focused GPU. Any suggestions besides you’re too late?

well not having a gpu setup myself but try using the nicehash.com profitability on x gpu to get a general idea is a place to start and then look for the various cards in stores-retailers-resellers, gpu mining im getting into next year, this year i invested in something else

Isn’t that a bit like the blind leading the blind? I already looked at that. Thanks though. :smiley: