Ethereum for noobs

Ethereum Tutorial

I have seen many requests online over the past couple years practically pleading people to tell them how to mine Ethereum. I had to stumble through the process. You don’t have to. First…Do some homework…familiarize yourself with the terminology. What sort of budget do you have? And so forth. Hardware you will need:

motherboard (mobo)

power supply unit (psu) and a power cable for it

central processing unit (cpu) with thermal fan ( Celeron cpu usually has the fan with it)

random access memory (ram)

graphics processing unit (gpu)

solid state drive (ssd) with or without Win10 or equivalent operating system (OS)

multi plug surge protector

on/off switch for mobo

tiny speaker (not necessary, but the beeps sometimes helps)

empty thumbdrive of at least 16gb

**Follow the instructions that came with your motherboard in assembling your new “computer”.**Install a basic cpu. Celeron makes a few and they work just fine. If you don’t feel comfortable putting the cpu into the mobo get a computer savvy friend. Nothing sux more than mis-installing the cpu. If the cpu you purchased didn’t come with a fan you will have to purchase separately. Make sure the fan is one that is compatible with the mobo. You can find that info by researching recommendations online.I do not use Nvidia cards so this tutorial deals only with Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Buy a decent gpu like a Radeon Rx5700 or similar. Again, what is your budget? A decent card will allow for a decent re-sale should you quit the crypto mining scene.Buy a power supply from a reputable manufacturer. EVGA has pretty good prices and very good warranties. Get a psu of 750 watts or better. You never want your mining rig to use more than 60% of the psu power. You are looking for stability and longevity here.RAM comes as “sticks” that fit the slots on your mobo. Some mobo’s have only one, most have two, and some I have purchased have four. Buy the proper ram for your mobo. DD4? DD5? Read the mobo specifications (specs) Although one stick of ram is probably enough, buy two in case you want to expand your “rig”. Most are sold as a pair anyway. Crucial, Corsair, XPG are just 3 of many brands.Your SSD comes in many brands. I like Kingston . They are inexpensive and have plenty of room for the software you will need to acquire. Some of them come pre-loaded with Win10. You may want to get a blank one and load it with Linux or some other OS.Lastly, get a multi-plug surge protector, an on/off switch (microcenter) and a speaker (microcenter) and a blank 16gb thumbdrive. So…you have all your parts. Everything is connected to the mobo. You are powered up and your OS is running. In my case, Win10.

Go to Windows security and disable everything to do with defender, updates,security, and firewalls. You can reset them all later if you wish. Once you get that done go to AMD’s website and download the latest version of Radeon Adrenaline. Once you have downloaded Adrenaline restart your computer. When Windows returns to the screen right click anywhere in the blue field. You should see the drop down menu for AMD Radeon Software. Click on the top bar. The HOME page of Radeon should appear. Click on the gear (settings) in the upper right corner. A new window appears. Click on Graphics at the upper left. You should see GPU1 about halfway down the screen. If it is not highlighted click on it. Then scroll down to Advanced. Click on Advanced. Another drop down will appear. Scroll until you see the box marked GPU WORKLOAD. If it says GRAPHICS click on it and reset it to COMPUTE. The software will ask you if you want to restart. Click YES.

YOU ARE NOW SET TO BEGIN MINING. WELL…NOT QUITE…A FEW MORE STEPS.

Acquire a wallet. There are various sources. Flarewallet, MyEtherWallet to name two. Once you have your wallet you will need to join a mining pool. There are many out there. I like nanopool.org. Their instructions are pretty easy. And they have good support. You will also need mining software. I use both Claymore and Phoenixminer. There are others as well. You can find the newest versions of each of these by doing a search on GOOGLE or Github. After you have downloaded your miner follow nanopool’s instructions to put your wallet, your name, your pool, and your password into the config file. Read the README!!! file that comes with your miner. It’s there for a reason. There is a ton of stuff in there for more sophisticated users, but it gives you scope. Pay attention to where you put the #s as it is critical that the miner uses YOUR info, not theirs. Usually, the config is set up to run the miner. You just need to do the substitutions of the wallet,etc. Click on Save File when finished with the config. Lastly, get a shortcut up on your screen. GOOGLE has instructions for that. Click on the short-cut. Claymore or Phoenixminer or whatever miner you are using should fire up!

THAT’S IT! YOU ARE MINING ETHEREUM!

If this little tutorial helped you, please consider sending a token of your appreciation to my wallet: 0x360d6f9efea21c82d341504366fd1c2eeea8fa9d Thank-you and good luck!

2 Likes

you should just copy and paste it here :smiley: then it will updatable and easier for the community to interact w/ the voskcointalk community

3 Likes
1 Like