Farmers using Biogas to run a Bitcoin mining farm

This is exactly what I am hoping to install next year with my off-grid setup, although I will probably only be able to produce 30-35MW from biogas a year (from apples/strawberries/cherries), I still find it amazing how you can generate energy out of many forms of waste.

2 Likes

this is great. its just me and my gf but one day maybe more lol and a home and this is one of the things i would love to install.

1 Like

Awesome I hope you achieve it, you don’t even need to have your own livestock or grow your own produce to do this, all you need to do is go to your local produce market and organise with wholesalers for them to chuck all their waste produce in a bin you supply for them and you take it for free, that way they don’t have to pay for their rubbish to be taken and it’s a win/win. Just need a small truck with a 5 or 10 tone loading capacity. You get 10 tone of waste, should be 3.3MW worth of power I think. Enough to run 40 S19 miners for a day. That’s what I’m going to do during the winter when I don’t have much of my own waste produce so I can keep miners running 24/7

1 Like

Wait, so could this be connected to a sewer? or is it just animal poop :poop: (farting into my toilet and making power sounds amazing)

1 Like

this setup i think is better for an average home. but its the same general idea, https://www.homebiogas.com/

1 Like

Absolutely I’ve seen people connect these to backup generators on YouTube, not ideal for mining but as a general backup when the grid goes down, or your house natural gas systems. It’s very pricy but i think it’s pretty plug and play but you can DIY it yourself easily

And yes Budget you can use it from your toilet but human waste is peanuts efficient compared to livestock, but it’s the principle of the point that yes you can save money by :poop: haha!

I did watch a review ages ago and I’m pretty sure he said it does leave a bit of a smell, but I’m sure you could fix that if you wanted!

That’s awesome. I manage a 2.5MW site for another group close to my site. They are getting close to having their first 1MW site using anaerobic digestion to power the container. They should be ordering the genset and container in the next 6 weeks. I’m super pumped to help with that site and learn everything I can.

2 Likes

Mate if you could do a video on it or let vosk do a video tour on it when it’s up and running I would be forever grateful.

I said before I would organise to bring other people’s produce waste but the more I think about it I won’t be able to because I can’t risk bringing pests and diseases to my farm, if I had land that was away from other primary production land then it would be fine to do

The more I think about it, the more it would make sense to try to get a spot at the actual produce market with the generator and biogas setup (like in the back corner) and have a pod, get a forklift and leave those 400 litre bins at each store, then drive around and collect the waste and put it in the digester. It would be cheaper to start because you don’t need to buy a truck or land. I live in a city of 1 million people and from memory there’s probably 100 wholesalers there, some huge and some small so let’s say on average each store would fill up 400kg so that’s 40 tone of waste which would lead to generating roughly 13MW of power which means you could run half a MW 24/7 and run 150+ S19 miners 24/7 so you’d make more than $1,000 a day. I mean I would go talk store to store first to get a rough number but that’s just an idea for anyone with half a million $ :rofl:

2 Likes