Future Profitability of Bitcoin Mining with ASICs?

Hey all,

I’m new to mining and looking to pick up a few (3 or 4) S19 Pros or 2 S19 XP Hybrids to mine BTC with. My main concern is the ever-increasing mining difficulty on the network.

I’m liberally estimating 20 - 24 months to recoup expenses (am I crazy?), and my primary concern is the long-term viability of these ASICs as the mining difficulty continues to make new highs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter or insights into the long-term viability of these ASIC miners?

2 Likes

I am in the EXACT same situation. That’s the one thing I don’t have a real good idea on quantifying. How much more capacity is going to flood the market and how large an impact will it have. I am betting on BTC long term price action mitigating it somewhat or maybe even completely but there’s no way of knowing that.
After overcoming the hurdle of “am I comfortable buying ASICs without getting scammed” and do I want to try and mine at home or colocate with a host and getting through every other question, what you bring up is the only thing still giving me any queasiness.

It depends on how your coming at it my opinion if your looking at mining long term you should be atleast upgrading your asic every two year or earlier you want to stay competitive with the rest so looking at roi time can be different when you upgrading regularly because you’ll be selling your asic (just say s19 cost 8k now u mine for a year get close to roi u now sell that asic for 5 k you now have roi and made profit and now u buy the next level asic rinse and repeat) if u hope to buy and just mine till they become not profitable you will be over taken by new asic and difficultly in mining you’ll need to keep upgrading as u go

I was thinking more of buying more/newer ASICs from profits and selling the older ones further along around 3 years. That raises another question of when does the residual value really start collapsing.

Well a lot goes down to what u pay for electric too everyone is in a different boat no one is alike I’m going to be running a bunch 1166 81th since electric is cheap and can get for cheap price so I’ll be close to 500th but also I don’t plan on selling anytime soon I can float the electric for as long as I want I plan on stacking to atleast a all time high (which the also cut roi time down maybe to half there so many variables that u really can’t figure a roi time down ) it’s all a risk you must believe in what u are doing and I

1 Like

Great example. When dealing with BTC miners, I always try to figure future value. So if a 100T gets you .124 this year and .062 next and .031 the 3rd year, those totals are after electricity costs, add them all up and you come up with .217 BTC profit. @ 100K that’s $21700, @ 150K that’s $32550 and at 250K that’s $54250. So for an $8000 investment with the intent and patience to hodl and wait, BTC miners historically have been great money makers. Can’t just look at todays pricing imo. Have some fun with it and play around with the numbers. The old S9 used to do 1-2 BTC a month, imagine if you did the same thing with that unit :balloon:!! :v:t3:

Yea I don’t get how some just look a roi time to what the coin is today I mean I look at it and make sure it’s not negative but other then that I don’t. I look at the ath and figure from there I’m bullish on btc and believe it will hit the ath again and move past that in time to come but I also can float a huge electric bill to it hits the ath again this year or next year or year after (at a young age I learned from a very smart business man that if u plan on running a business and keeping it successfully through good times and hard times you’ll you’ll need to float that company or project for atleast a year and I’m not going to lie the pandemic showed that ok enough of the off topic):wink: NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE

We’ll said!! It’s a great attitude to have!! I feel exactly the same. Nothings guaranteed but we’ve all read this book before. I have a turtle on my desk who’s head slowly bounces up and down to remind me to slow down and be patient :turtle:. So far so good!!:v:t3:

1 Like

This is some great financial advise​:wink::joy: this is the same approach I’m taking, all about the long game

I still don’t see how this is profitable seeing that it takes more than 2 to 3 years to pay off a miner. The machine could break down and I’d think 3 to 5 years would be the maximum life of each miner. I’m not giving up but I strongly suspect a blockade of price gouging scammers preventing newbs from getting in on the action.