Helium HNT Hotspot Mining Wiki & FAQ

I picked up on following Dapper Denim Carp as well. Interesting. It seems t’s on the top of a high rise in Miami, but more interesting he has a high gain antenna, which accounts for him having no witnesses in that he transmits over them. Also, when I checked, he had 59 hotspots in the same hex (condo?). Looking at his activity, he earns all his tokens witnessing other beacons. That looks like the real point of POC. He’s demonstrating that he can receive many possible IOT devices for the network. This also makes me believe that even a high gain non-directional transmitting antenna receives in a spherical pattern making it ideal for a POC goal. Thoughts?

you want to check one that really baffles the mind.

One wallet, Transmit Scale: [0.85] , hotspot is relayed,

https://explorer.helium.com/hotspots/11c14e8M2wJAgpWeULUturYLYW4mXrWbj2SM3Fn34XXcn4dfDHw

https://app.heliumstatus.io/hotspots/11c14e8M2wJAgpWeULUturYLYW4mXrWbj2SM3Fn34XXcn4dfDHw

this one is 330 meters… 1000 feet… tower?

it appears to be on this tower in the picture

I just found something else about this miner
Quaint Gingham Gerbil

you search it in this app

and it is this picture

then you click on the hotspot location and it turns to this picture being it is really Tenny Flint Seahorse

How in the heck does that get spoofed like that. It is on a tower it appears.

Hello everyone, I am new two helium mining and have two miners to set up in separate locations. Currently attempting to get online with a MNTD gold series and at a complete roadblock with set up. After three days of syncing the miner now says needs attention and I can’t figure out what to do next. Can I do a hard reset on these units? Any advice is greatly welcomed. Thank you

My MNTD took 6 days to sync up. It had a 44158 port error to resolve. you need to run the hotspot diagnostics app and see if the IP is assigned. then move it from ethernet to wireless or the other way if you are on wireless now and put it on ethernet… I swapped mine a couple of times …

then run this app to see what the port status

https://portchecker.co/

your IP for your ISP is what comes up in there so just input 44158 port. dont worry about the drop down box choices.

this website mine help in understanding the error
https://app.heliumstatus.io/

@brownwater Get on discord and we can help

That is not true. I have posted on 3 Youtube channels and the discord and everyone does exactly what you did. Delete the questions and have no answers.

@Miner388 Unsure what you are on about -

1. The high rewards case? I gave the URL to the beacon hacking section which is what is occurring there
  2. Helping someone? Helped thousands on #helium-mining and it is a great community, interactive help is way better than in comments here

About to set up an outside 5.8dbi antenna. Forgot to order a lightning arrestor. Not many lightning events in this area. Maybe one a year and usually in the hills many miles away. So, do I even need one? If I do install one does it have to be mounted right below the antenna or can it be mounted inline just before the Bobcat? (Easier to run the ground wire inside where I plan to place the miner anyway.)

TIA

@FirePig see the ‘Lightning Arrester’ section -

A strike will by no means save your miner, it however should minimise damage to anything else.
You typically want it as close to the strike as possible, however it being further down might be better than doing nothing at all.

As you will see from the arrester section in the Wiki/FAQ - it is a calculated risk you will have to take in a low lightning area.

1 Like

Anyone have some feed back for me regarding antennas? I live in a suburban setting in an area that is the early stage of helium mining. I have 3-4 in my area between 2.4km and 6km away, as of yet none of them have picked up my Bobcat 300 with the factory antenna. Should I go to a 8dbi?

I nominate this for VoskCoinTalk thread of the year!!! any objections?

2 Likes

yes perfect

Port forward ore check if port 40158 is open

Well… almost 28 weeks to the day and my 1st of 2 Bobcat 300’s showed up. I unboxed the unit plugged it in get all the updates and sync it. Once completed I take it over to a location I have been watching for a while that has no Helium devices in the hex to see what happens. With all the news floating around I wonder if I will get a ROI in under 5 years… :expressionless: Anyways, I have the Bobcat 300 up and running and shows it was added to the blockchain and location insertion 4 days ago. Everything is synced and even show a -3 on synced. on the Beacons Tab it shows a challenger Droll Beige Carbou and my miner as the Beaconer Witnesses shows 0 Witnesses. The Witnessed tab shows Hotspots Witnessed 0 and Avg Transmit Scale N/A. ON the Nearby tab I have 45 miners as close as ~970m going out to ~5.1km I have been watching for activity and nothing. I again I am in a Hex with no other miners and quite a few other mines surrounding me and even showing activity. I would have expected to have seen some activity… Looking at the Bobber app the status has a green light shows Synced, GAP: -3 Running and a Temp of 44c and good network connection. Yet the miner is yet to have any activity. Oh Miner Status also shows Up 198 hours. Hotspotty shows Online, Not relayed and Synced. Yet not activity… Does anyone have any ideas?

In short, you beaconed and got 0 witnesses therefore you get no rewards. Your hotspot is not ‘seeing’ any others therefore you are not rewarded. This is why your transmit scale is not set yet either.
Check your antenna setup - as per the above wiki, elevation is king.
For more real-time help I encourage you to go on Vosks’s discord.