I big noob.best suggestion for first mining rig

So as it says in topic. I’m at a point in my life to start a new venture. As far as grasping how. I’m clueless. So what would be a good rig to start out with? Any help would be great

1 Like

I recommend watching lots of vosk YouTube videos to see what type of mining you’re interested in getting into. I also suggest starting with a more inexpensive unit to make sure you like it and to help learn the ropes before fully diving in. Also, there are a million scammers out there, make sure you’re buying from a real site/dealer. Check on here to make sure, a lot of people here can let you know reputable sites

3 Likes

If you are new and just trying to learn… I recommend the Goldshell Mini Box Miners. I started with one and expanded from there. They are built for homebased miners, run quiet, generate very little heat and run off of a standard plug (I live in Los Angeles, Ca). I also like that Goldshell offers several box miners to choose from and you can find a coin you like and just stack it up for a bit. I hope this helps and Happy Mining!

4 Likes

hey skip.its extremely daunting to get into mining at first but drew did an excellent video on mini box miners just recently. i suggest thats the best place for you to start.i am a big fan of them myself because they are alot easier to deal with as far as noise heat dissapation and power issues are concerned.my partner in crime and i have 16 mini boxes between us at our respective homes. but the other alternative you may wish to investigate is having your miners hosted.for the sheer convenience thats what i will be doing for my next purchase.ive found a here down under that i will be dealing with soon i hope.its justtoo convenient to ignore.
hope this helps you out buckaroo
cheers

1 Like

Thanks to all for the advise. I have bout 3 thousand to start. I hope I can get something that will give lots of profit as of all my profit are going to invest back into buying more miners. Are these easy to setup and get rolling.

1 Like

I would kind of go another direction than many of these folks. A Box or Letter/Number ASIC is cool and all, but have you ever opened a web site to a mining pool? Do you have a GPU on the computer you are using right now? If you can’t mine a couple Coins with the computer you have, have a wallet set up, know the exchange or fiat cash out method, then you have some to learn before an ASIC machine can be ran skillfully.
Sure you can buy an ASIC and dive right in, but %'s of profit can either be gained or lost due to knowledge level.
I would suggest watching older Vosk youtube video’s about GPU Rig mining. You don’t need to build a GPU Rig but just consider how you can do it on your computer. Go to the Pool website’s recommended in the video’s. There is a lot to learn. Diving in with cash in hand does work, just study study study first. Pick a coin/token you like and see if you can install and run a desktop/private wallet yourself. Depending on the Network or Blockchain you will learn tons about algorithms and wallet types, both will play into your mining set up.

Happy Trails

2 Likes

I would start with something cheap, like an L3+ or a goldshell mini box. It’s good enough to get you started and you learn how these work without spending over 10k to start. You may end up losing the initial investment, but the knowledge you gain will help you to be profitable over the long term. Some people just learn better with a hands on approach.

5 Likes

I would probably taper your expectation of “lots of profit” especially if 3k is your budget.
Start small, learn, and then build slowly from there. What the others have shared is all great advice. Box miners, L3s, etc these are great starter options

1 Like

As most said in the thread start small, save the coins you mine, put them into a place where you earn on staking the coins you make, then slowly expand , its a long term gain, getting the break even point on your miner then slowly gain momentum expanding

1 Like

I would agree with everyone else that this time is not best for mining, although it is still profitable even with small budget like yours, I’ve started even smaller few months ago and now I have 5 miners.

Please be vigilant where you buying from and what are payment options as many people werenplaning to start mining but they never did because they were scamed.

Best to pay with credit card or PayPal for extra security. Probably buy something small like goldshell boxes, ipollo minis or hasminer x4 brick.

I can recommend www.asicminershub.com as I bought 80% of my miners from then and received very quick without problem. If you are not sure what to buy, text them and they will give you an advise and maybe a discount as I’ve got mine via contacting them directly.

1 Like

3k is just what I have in hand. I’m a disabled marine who was thrown intocobol ada programming without ever using a pc.i hate book learning. Throw me in the shit I’ll figure it out quicker.i just started watching vosk videos and I’m very impressed this is why I came in here to get guidance. Again thanks everybody for all the info. I think I’m start off with goldshell, but some thing soon.Semper fi

3 Likes

I’m thinking about getting the gold or bobcat

1 Like

I got a Mini Doge Pro and KD box. I just started last week and have to say the boxes are easy, set it and forget it right now.I’m enjoying the goldshell boxes. I also brought a Bobcat Miner but in a super crowded area so not to profitable. I think about it definitely do research on the coin you like and go for it. Eventually the direction of the market will change and things will become more profitable. Thanks you for your service.

1 Like

i would prefer iPollo V series, it has ETH and ETC Miners

1 Like

This is just my personal view of running miners out of a Home, apartment, garage, or business. I would recommend doing your own research and seek professional help regarding the power supply.

First you really need to pick what algorithm you want to mine with a ASIC.

If you go small miners you could purchase a PDU (Power Distribution Unit) the linked is just for example. You might be able to run something safely!

If you go one or two big ones, you will need to find a way to run them safety on 220V!. Most of the larger miners will ONLY run on 220V.

If you can run off 220V not 120V, you can reduce the Amp and Watt usage (which also reduces the load on the cheap wiring inside some of these walls these days).

To run any kind of ASIC miner, you will need to think about how you are going to get that heat out of the room/garage you are using the miner in.

Personally, I designed and printed 3D Printed ducting that attaches to the miner fans and enables you to connect a 5/6/7/8" ducting to the miner, then you have a vent in your window. This way the heat is blown out the window away from your miner. The cooler you can keep the room the Safer it is, but it’s also beneficial to the equipment as well.

Now if you attach the Flexible ducting you can find at Home Depot or Lowes. The kind that has the insulation around it. you use this to connect to the miner and the window. The higher the R rating on the ducting the higher reduction you will also see in sound proofing. I’ve seen miners <80 decibel.

You would be wise to keep the miner on something that’s static resistant. Not Carpet!

This is just my opinion, if possible, try to run everything networked by wire, there is always a small lag when it comes to Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi networks came be affected by so many things these days, The fans on the miners can interfere with the signals.

As for what miner. That is something that you must research! different miners can mine different algorithm - coins.

With mining you will also need to understand and choice a mining pool to use. Then you will need to choose if you want to mine Solo or in a pool. I used https://www.viabtc.com they cover most of the coins out there and pay is fair. Website is easy to use and well presented. you will also need to decide how you’re going to exchange your mined coins for cash. Personally, I use https://ftx.com if you store coins there, they will also pay you interest on them! They have a debit card that’s linked to your account for easy access and the fees aren’t that bad considering how much and how long it normally takes. Mining pool V Solo – when you mine with a pool any coins mined are shared with the pool. But you can get paid daily if needed. Mining Solo mean you would only ever get anything when you mine a coin. Which the difficulty changes all the time and there is no guarantee you would ever get paid anything. Of course, you could be very lucky and mine coins all the time, there is nothing you can do to increase your chance other than increasing mining output.

You will also need to decide where you are going to store your mining income. Be it a software wallet or a hardware wallet. With a hardware wallet I would only recommend buying from the manufacture direct. no middlemen like eBay or amazon. https://trezor.io/ is who I use but again there are others out there. But consider how much money you are going to be storing and what you’re willing to spend to protect it. By far a hardware wallet is the safest! Weakest link is always the operator.

This again is something you will have to make a decision on.

*Each coin has its own pros/cons.

You can find my website 3dps4u.com

My eBay store

Email sales@3dps4u.com

1 Like