I don't understand why my rig stops mining ETH randomly

Hi! I’ve recently entered the world of mining by entering a the mining pool of ETH of 2miners. I’m doing it with a single GPU (a 3070) and since in my country electricity is crazy cheap I still get a good profit even if I’m mining the equivalent of 2 or 3 daily bucks.

The problem is that there are some cases in which the balance of 2miners shows that I haven’t mined anything for the past one or two hours. After I reset the mining software (t-rex) then it shows ETH being mined back again.

Why is this? I understand mining has a lot to do with chance, but not getting anything for two hours sometimes doesn’t make sense to me.

Maybe this is an incorrect forum to post this, but I’m new to all of this.

Thank you in advance

You need to control the GPU with software like MSI afterburner or EVGA’s X1.
There are two clocks (core clock, memory clock) and the power level you will want to maintain.

You can set fan speed in manual or auto mode to cool your GPU. If you use auto, you want to adjust the fan curve to keep the fan speed up in your operating temperature range.

The afterburner software displays two digital frequency meters on the upper left side. You want to reduce the power level (unchained from temp level) while mining without dropping the core clock frequency below 1500 or so. It will drop like a rock after that so just the amount that keeps it at 1500 or above is the right spot. A 3070 may have a higher frequency than 1500, just don’t let it drop to say 300 all of a sudden.

You can safely raise the core clock setting to 100, and increase to 125 if possible. Don’t go too much more. It will help keep the freqency up while you lower the power level.

Set the temp level at least 10C higher than the current temp, and use fan speed to keep the card under 60C. Two fan models tend to run around 50+C and 3 fan models can run in the 40+C range.

Start with a memory clock above 100 on the setting and the frequency display will be around 6000-7000. Increase in steps of 100 until the computer freezes. You should easily get a setting of 1000 and frequency of 8000. After that is where the fun starts. Once you narrow down the setting where you trip out the GPU and have to reboot, lower the setting by 100. This should get you a nice stable operatiing point. A high memory clock that doesn’t crash the system may result in Invalid shares. Lower the clock until there are no invalid shares.

The video card freezing up is typically due to too high memory clock. Temperature is related to power level. Even if the card seems stable at higher settings, it may not run 24 hours continuosly on the pool. The elapsed time is displayed on the software. If it quits running, the GPU is not stable or the network is not stable. Lower clocks somewhat.

Finally, Both Phoenix miner and T-rex miner have setting in the batch file that can detect an idled or crashed GPU and will restart the miner (or computer). Adding a shortcut to the computers startup folder will automatically restart the miner if the computer reboots. I’ve done this on my computer and it prevents long periods of not mining as computers reboot for many unknown reasons.

Key to continuous operation is a stable computer.

1 Like

Great answer! Thank you for everything. I’ll try to improve my GPU performance with those tips!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’m having the same issue but with an old GPU (TURBO-GTX1070-8G) it just stops for 2 hours but on the T-Rex log I can see that it is processing:

On the Asus GPU Tweak II I have the following settings:

Basically, I started with the OC default settings and changed the FAN to manual so the temperature can be down to +/- 65º, as shown on the logs above.

I’m always receiving the email from 2Miners stating that the miner is offline.

What should I do to make this better?

This is my first post so please be nice. :smiley:

Thanks

Have you tried giving it a stern talkin to?

1 Like

Hi @Natemfhunter

Sorry in advance for this question but i am new at all this can you translate to me what you mean?

:joy:

Thanks

Well. Point at it but with all of your fingers (knifehand), stand up and point that knife hand right in its face. Put your other hand on your hip and let your innermost anger come out. Good. Now try to control that anger while talking through your teeth and pointing at the machine. You have been stern and you have given it a good talkin to. Check equipment to see if it works now. It probably won’t but you might feel better.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Nice tactic will do that @Natemfhunter.

For dumb problems at my work we try dumb solutions with that in mind I decreased the fan speed to 70% and the GPU temp is stable at 70°

Let’s see…

Will give feedback in the morning (here at Portugal :portugal:) is almost 1am going to sleep :sleeping:

Thanks

1 Like

It looks the same, I have been reading about this situation, and maybe is because I only have 1 GPU which represents a very low percentage of the block find…

If that is correct that is the reason why I don’t get any reward

Since the last post this is the mining status on 2Miner:

1 Like

Ok,

I talked with 2Miner support and we only are rewarded if at the time a block is found we have a “Your Round Share” above 0% :grinning:

Because I have only one GPU with a low hash rate in that case the share is usually very low or 0%.

Hope this helps clarify the community.

PPLNS: You find shares, your round shares go up, you don’t find them it trickles back down. One GPU can’t find shares fast enough to keep your round share up. You need more video cards in your rig to pump it up. I have a 12 GPU rig and the shares are constant and so is the Round Share. You only earn if the pool finds a block so keep that Round Share up to earn when they do.

1 Like

Yes, that is correct I need to pump my rig up, last week I was able to buy one RTX 3070 at €589 but at this moment they are out of stock in Europe, at the store where I buy it at this moment the same GPU costs €899 ( :scream: )…

Just began mining 2-3 year too late :crazy_face:

Btw @Dollyshunk what is your rig hardware like MB, CPU, GPU, RAM, and PSU? And what mining software, crypto, and wallet do you use?

Thanks

I am using a biostart tb-250 pro PRO motherboard with 12 slots. I like that with XMP the (2x8) 16GB of memory will run at 2400 mhz. This board runs my 12 1660 TI’s with an I3 processor.

Processor: Intel Core i3-7100 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 3.9 GHz LGA 1151 51W BX80677I37100 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 630 - Newegg.com

Memory: HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel X99 Desktop Memory Model HX424C15FBK2/16 - Newegg.com

Motherboard (eBay from USA was best) Amazon.com: Biostar Motherboard TB250-BTC PRO Core i7/i5/i3 LGA1151 Intel B250 DDR4 Supports 6 AMD and 6 NVIDIA Graphics Cards: Computers & Accessories

SSD: Team Group CX1 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal SSD - Newegg.com

For my 3060 TI’s thers are the differences,

Motherboard: (I paid $100 for mine) GIGABYTE GA-B250-FINTECH 12 GPU Mining mother system board shipping from USA 889523012420 | eBay

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel XMP 2.0 Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R - Newegg.com

Processor: Intel Pentium G4560 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 54W BX80677G4560 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 610 - Newegg.com

Notes: lf you get a Biostar motherboard, make sure it has 12 pcie sockets. It is the Pro -PRO versions, not the PRO+
The faster, more expensive I3 processor doesn’t mine a bit better than the cheaper Pentium processor.
8GB of memory is sufficient, no need for 16GB.

PSU’s : I use EVGA Gold SUpernova’s. I am running the 1300G3’s to power the 12 GPU rig. I use Phoenix Miner with the command line statement: -gser 2 to start the GPU’s up one at a time so I don’t go over 1110 Watts. With Afterburner, and minimized Power Levels, I don’t draw over 75 watts per GPU.

Thanks for the quick reply…

And also by the notes :wink:

Going to get some cash to upgrade the system.

Once again thank you for sharing.

@Dollyshunk

Just another question I see that you are using afterburner for the 1660 , so I asume that you are using windows and not linux or a mineos like ravenos, coinfly, havienos, etc… correct?

Can you tell me the settings on afterburner?

Thank you very much…

YES, I am using Afterburner with my 1660TI’s in windows 10 on 12 GPU’s.
The voltage control is locked due to the driver I use and isn’t a problem.

The Power Level I use varies between 56 and 62 depending on GPU performance. It helps keep core frequency above 1000-1500

The Temperature Control is set to 75 C as I don’t want to throttle the GPU with it set too low.

The Core Clock I used to use was around +100 but I find I get more hash by lowering it. Some cards like -500 while others like -200, and others still like 0. Those setting work best.

Memory Clock: Raising the Memory clock tends to lower the core frequency and the faster the better…until the GPU crashes. Then I lower the setting and start again.
Two fan cards run around 839-900 while 3 fan cards can take a setting of 1200 typically.
You are still too high if you get INVALID shares. I usually run up the clock til it crashes, then lower a bit and look for those invalid share. If none, you are good to go but if some … lower mem clock more.

Don’t confuse Invalid shares (bad) with STALE share (slow network or pool).

Fan: I like the fan running between 65-85%. I used to use a manual setting but now choose AUTO and adjust the fan curve so the gpu’s temperature is in the middle of my curve setting. This way the gpu’s run with about 80% fan which changes as the gpu’s cool or warm up.

You only see 8 GPU’s in the GPU TAB, to see the remaining GPU’s just click the setting icon and select the other gpu’s. And YES I am running 12 nVidia gpu’s on the same motherboard in Windows.

1 Like

Hi @Dollyshunk,

Thanks for the full report will make some adjustments and try.

1 Like

Hi @Dollyshunk,

Just grab a 5 GTX 1660 SUPER and 1 GTX 1660 TI…

Finishing the RIG build during the next week (I hope :smiley: ) as soon I have photos I will share them.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Dollyshunk,

I’m waiting for a splitter to power up the last GTX 1660 Super, meanwhile, I have 4x 1660 super and 1x 1660 TI working.

Can you or someone take a guess why on the 4x ASUS GTX 1660 SUPER DUAL OC that are all the same model, memory etc… etc… one of them is going over the power limit and clock and also the temperature is higher than the other 3 GPUs.

Prints below to check what is happening.

Thanks guys

Hi because there is a max consecutive reply I’m going to add the result (almost final) of the rig
————————————-

Hi

Here is a photo of the Rig still not finished.
Made with some old windows frames

U
Still have room for a 7th GPU because the board supports it, I’m thinking on adding my old GTX 1070.

Pool: 2Miners
Mobo: MSI Z390-A Pro
CPU: Intel Core i3-8100 Quad-Core 3.6GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4-2400MHz CL15
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold GX 850W Full Modular
HDD: old not ssd hdd :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Risers: V009S
GPUs:
4x ASUS DUAL-GTX1660S-O6G-EVO
1x MSI GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS XS OC 6GB
1x MSI GTX 1660 TI VENTUS XS OC 6GB

Results: