Is DIY water cooling asic miners recomendable?

I’m based in the uae ( gets very hot in the summer)

And I have a warehouse used to store drinks that need to be kept relatively cool

We have solar panels that we use to cool the place down, and around 14,400 kwh per month in excess

Since I would not want to generate too much heat/ or use outside air, I feel water cooling will be most efficient

I was planning to buy multiple Antminer S19s to start with, is it recommendable to try to make them watercooled myself ?

Could it go terribly wrong ? or decrease / increase miner lifespan ?

I have not heard of any services locally that offer water cooling conversions

Any advice would be great thanks

Sounds like you have a very good problem…Yes, you can liquid cool the machines, and it actually increases life span and allows you to overclock the machines without danger of overheating them…There are several companies that make the equipment needed. Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge will post, as I don’t remember the names of the companies, or what all is needed…but it can be done, and will be better for the equipment overall.

1 Like

Thanks, was just wondering if DIY is realistic, or better to order pre-made conversion kits

I thought about ordering those extruded aluminum contact plates that allow water flow from a pump from eBay. would order a cheap 50+ th s17, retrofit it, and put overclock software on it for 100+Th…

Why not a s19 if I may ask ?

some time ago I found videos of this guy on youtube who posted some videos about DIY immersion coolin. Maybe that can help a bit.
If this link does not work you can search for the chanel “space design warehouse”

1 Like

If something goes wrong in the experiment, you only lose a few grand on an old machine, vs 10k or more. Some guys get the s17 overclocked to outrun the stock s19 when cooling is modified.

After the guy in the video got it running, the pros gave him a call and told him he was about to damage the miner. They helped him correct it. I like his videos, he’s funny for sure.

1 Like

Oh really, do you know what was wrong with his setup ?

And lets say the setup is all good, would you rather have a overclocked s19 or s17 ?

He was getting heavy cavitation (bubbles) this evidently can hurt the machine. I still like how the guy throws caution to the wind and pursues his objectives. His demeanor also adds some entertainment.

1 Like

Some guys at Asic.to claim s19 units can beat 140th with the right cooling. So of course I’d rather have that, but the risk of an engineering flaw trashing a 9000 dollar machine vs a 3000 dollar machine…
If that risk is acceptable to you, s19 running 140-ish on liquid cooling might be the ticket.
I want to fully replace my income before taking on these endeavors, I only produce a few grand a month on my current farm so I have more purchases to make.

1 Like

Yes that makes sense, I ran some numbers, and if I were to try push the machines to a 5 year lifespan, the s19 pro would be most profitable, but the 104 / 96 th come do better on a 3 year time frame at my electricity rate

How exactly does overclocking work? Is it just a chip override ? and would it reduce the lifespan of the miners significantly ?

Never done it, the team at asic.to have the lowdown on that.

1 Like

why your miners get really hot? I just dont get it,can somebody reply me ?

When you overclock the machine, you are pushing more electricity into each chip, forcing it to do more work, and thus creating more heat. Without proper cooling, that extra heat will wear out the components faster, reducing the life span of the machine.

Hey, Hype, can you use geothermal to cool the miners? Also wondering how long solar panels last in the desert? I heard they lose efficiency as they heat up.

Thanks now i get it

Has anyone looked into using a porta cool system? Something like this but in my case a smaller scale.