Keeping things cool when scaling up

So I’ve set up 4 L3++ miners and one KoiMiner and I plan on adding 5 more to the same room. I have another room beside this one and I’m trying to decide if I should cool the second room down and the make an air transfer system or should I spread the miners out into 2 rooms and cool the both and add more fans. Also, any suggestions on the best litecoin miners to buy. Thanks for any suggestions in advance
Bolling Jones

1 Like

I live in south West Georgia where it gets really hot in the summer so cooling with outside air isn’t really an option

1 Like

When you say “cooling” do you mean using AC? If that’s the case I would suggest rethinking your plan.
You will end up spending a ton in AC costs trying to constantly cool these miners pumping out heat non stop.

The best way to keep everything cool is air flow.

Duct the hot air out of the room. Use fans to blow ambient air over the miners.

These miners can operate just fine in 100 degree+ weather. I live in Texas and have had no issues. The issues usually arise when the hot air isn’t being removed quickly or efficiently enough.

1 Like

I live in north FL and cooling in the summer using outside air hasn’t been an issue for me, though my hottest rig draws 3100W. Even when it’s pushing 100F and humid outside, ambient air temp when compared to heat sink temp is still dramatically lower (e.g. 100F vs ~170F). Push enough air through the ASICs, and they’ll be warm for sure though sufficiently cool as to not trip high temp shutdowns.

I duct my rigs so that they don’t draw in “mixed” air, i.e. there’s no mixing between outside ambient air and exhaust side air.

1 Like

Thank you! I didn’t realize the miners could operate in 100 degree temps without damage. What type of duct tubing do you use and do you also use exhaust fans?

1 Like

Personally, I had 9 S9’s running out of my apartment, ran from both Dryer and Stove 220V. Not recommended!
This is just my personal view of running miners out of a Home, apartment, garage, or business. I would recommend doing your own research and seek professional help regarding the power supply.
First you really need to pick what algorithm you want to mine with a ASIC.
If you go small miners you could purchase a PDU (Power Distribution Unit) the linked is just for example. You might be able to run something safely!
If you go one or two big ones, you will need to find a way to run them safety on 220V!. Most of the larger miners will ONLY run on 220V.
If you can run off 220V not 120V, you can reduce the Amp and Watt usage (which also reduces the load on the cheap wiring inside some of these walls these days).
To run any kind of ASIC miner, you will need to think about how you are going to get that heat out of the room/garage you are using the miner in.
Personally I designed and printed 3D Printed ducting that attaches to the miner fans and enables you to connect a 5/6/7/8" ducting to the miner, Then you have a vent in your window. This way the heat is blown out the window away from your miner. The cooler you can keep the room the Safer it is, but it’s also beneficial to the equipment as well.
Now if you attach the Flexible ducting you can find at Home Depot or Lowes. The kind that has the insulation around it. you use this to connect to the miner and the window. The higher the R rating on the ducting the higher reduction you will also see in sound proofing. Ive seen miners <80 decibel.
You would be wise to keep the miner on something that’s static resistant. Not Carpet!
This is just my opinion, if possible, try to run everything networked by wire, there is always a small lag when it comes to Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi networks came be affected by so many things these days, The fans on the miners can interfere with the signals.
As for what miner. That is something that you must research! different miners can mine different algorithm - coins.

*Each coin has its own pros/cons.

You can find my website 3dps4u.com

Email sales@3dps4u.com

2 Likes

I use 3D printed shrouds (can be found very easily on Amazon, Ebay, or even here in the Voskcoin marketplace) grabbed some flexible dryer ducting and I have the heat been vented into an insulated wooden box I put together.

The box is then connected via duct to an exhaust fan.
The fan then vents the hot air out.
As I have added to my farm I have increased the exhaust fans CFM accordingly.
I started with 1200 cfm and now have a 3000cfm fan both exhausting and pulling fresh air into the room.

1 Like

Yea they can no problem if it’s vented right yesterday my shed was 105 and chips temps were 68 to 71 so as long as your ventilation is right u should have no problem there I see temperatures of 118 here in dead of summer

1 Like

your dealing with 2 different temps though
my understanding is that all ASIC miners measure the temps in C. So 68C is 154F

2 Likes

Ty so much never knew that but I’m still way under that and atleast my pcb of max 90c not even close there at 67c but ty for bringing that to my attention

Ya welcome, they don’t really make it clear which they use, which is kinda stupid. But who are we to judge.

Hey guys, I’m trying to figure out how to keep the miners cool as well. I’m down in Texas, so already having temp issues. I’m running (3) S19s, (1) L7 and (1) S17 along with a couple S9s. I have exhaust ducted away into a back room. I then have a 24"x24" exhaust fan sucking out the waste heat. I have the mabcines in their own room, with a 4.5 ton cooling them. The problem I am running into is the machines are sucking out all the cold air and the AC unit cannot keep up with the combined CFM rate of all the machines.

Anybody have some ideas?

Thank you!!

1 Like

A couple of things i can say just from seeing those 2 photos.
You need to keep the ducting runs as simple as possible, each bend or kink adds pressure to the airflow and will kill the miner in no time.
The other thing, have you considered using the flexible ducting Home Depot and Lowes sell that has the insulation around the outside of the ducting. This would keep the heat from getting back into that room as much as it is now.
Also the shorter you can keep the ducting runs the better, unless you want to put a inline fan in there.
can you move where the miners are close to the wall?

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, I’m going to work on moving the rack to where it is parallel to the wall and keep the runs straight + short :slight_smile:

I’ve also reducted a 25 ton AC to the room. Way overkill but it was just sitting there unused. It cools the room from 100 down to 60 desgress in seven minutes lol! Expensive to run though.

The AC is just eating into the profits.

All you need to do is move the hot air out much faster. If I had to guess your issues is the CFM of the exhaust is not meeting the output of the units and so your hot air is being recycled back into the machines.

Miners can operate at 120+ degree heat without issue. If you are having heating problems north of that then it is definitely an exhaust problem.

There is no need to compound high electric consuming units with a high electric consuming AC.

Thank you!!!