Keeping your Rigs cool?

I now have 4 rigs with a combined total of 35 GPU’s. My rig room is HOT! Any suggestions on keeping it cool during the summer months? I’ve thought about a 10000 but window unit. Thoughts?

1 Like

I am in the process of getting funding for about 10 rigs, and one of my biggest concerns was cooling. By the time this goes through, I’ll have bought my new house hopefully, and I’m converting part of my garage into a miner room. My plan was to load up about two or three window AC units, and for exhaust, I’ll be getting vent register parts and the hvac metal piping to get the hot air out.

Without seeing the room, or your miners, is that an option for you? Get something that tried to get the hot exhaust out a window, or a hole you could put in the floor or something like that? If so, then window AC unit should be good for cooling.

1 Like

I’m in a 1 bedroom apartment at the moment so no holes anywhere lol. I’ve been combating the heat with a very high influx of air from outside. Over 6000CFM of it from box fans placed in the two windows. Since its winter this is very effective but during the summer it will be a problem. I’ve thought about a window unit in 1 window and a couple of duct fans suspended from the ceiling with duct work reaching down to the second window and blowing the hot air outside.

1 Like

you should checkout the vosk video called “Turning an Abandoned Navy Shipyard Building into a BITCOIN Mining Farm” this guy does a great job on explaining airflow and cooling a farm and Nicehash has an article called " Tips for building a mining farm" scroll down to the section named Heat. What worked for me was sticking my rigs in a confined space and pushing the heat out as fast as possible. Basically what they did in the vosk video except on a smaller scale and I used a closet and cardboard to make the air go were I wanted it to.

1 Like

Waaay back in the early threads on here, someone had done a build where they sectioned off their rig into what was basically a tent. They set-up an air intake and outflow on it, to pull cooler air in and push the hot air outside - basically using air dryer hoses.

1 Like

So I bought some fans temporarily to help keep things slightly cooler. The Big black fan is 6100CFM. It’s like a friggin wind tunnel!

1 Like

You should totally figure out a small shelf to have the black fan pull air out and have the rigs exhaust pointed towards the black fan… then just have another box fan in the other window bringing cool air in.

1 Like

in the last image it looks like the 2 box fans are blowing the heat back at the rigs. try reversing them see if it improves the rigs temperature.

1 Like

Having the box fans pointed at the rigs significantly lowered temperatures. My actual plan I think is to make a cheesy wind tunnel with cardboard boxes haha. I’m interested in experimenting lol

1 Like

As I understand it, AC is just throwing money away. What you need is airflow. Exhaust the hot air and bring in less hot air. Look at some of the videos this guy did:

1 Like

I saw his videos a few months ago. Maybe I can buy a couple of sheets of wood, apply weatherstripping, cut out some 16 inch holes for the fans and mount these fans in the window and use them for exhaust fans? Or maybe 1 intake and 1 exhaust.

1 Like

Make a cardboard or plywood triangle shaped exhaust with that high cfm fan in the window with all the rigs pointing the same wind direction, then put all the other fans blowing towards them with one or two bringing in air from the other window.

1 Like

Triangle shaped exhaust?

2 Likes

It is not so much about cold air but really more about moving air. Venting is key.

1 Like

This is an easy problem to solve if you can contain the GPUs and take fresh air from outside into the GPU area (room, box, …) then exhaust the hot air outside. My mining room mid-summer gets over 115F and my GPUs are fine. That is not nearly as hot as a computer case gets. Just keep the air moving in then out…