KS3M Thermopaste replacement

Hey everyone, so I have my KS3M’s at a mining site in Iowa. I asked my site if they would be able to replace the thermopaste on the Icerivers and they said that they think it might be a little too big of a job for them but they’ll reach out to their repair guy to see if he will do them. Im trying to get ahead of it just incase their guy cant do the job, and was wondering if there was anyone near the Iowa area that they would recommend for me to mail them to? Thanks in advance guys!

Gee wiz if you’re paying for their time then it’s not that big of a job, even if it’s just one a day. How many miners do you have there if you don’t mind me asking? If I remember rightly when I repasted my mates there’s 56 chips on each board. Infact I think I took a photo
Uploading: image.jpeg…

For anyone wondering that’s how much paste is on the board from Iceriver, I think I wiped some off the bottom chip to read it. We then cleaned it with isopropyl, added a good layer of mk-3.8 heat sink paste and it worked again. However I’m reading from Tswift on discord he recommends to use mx6. I think I also 3D printed a stencil for it to apply the paste, might be on my computer somewhere

1 Like

Yeah I was pretty bummed when they told me they didn’t think they could do it because I know the owners and operators and they aren’t new to crypto. If they can find someone that’ll do it that’d be cool too, but saving me the shipping, and getting them operational fast would be most ideal. If I was there I know I could do it but I’m on the West Coast right now. I watched a tutorial and it’s way easy. And to answer your question, I have 14 miners there in total. 2 KS3M’s and I have 12 KA3’s. :slight_smile: Thanks for the info! I appreciate it Shred!

1 Like

I missed the stencil part that’s genius dude!! I wouldn’t have thought about that.

That’s the pic I took of my mates when I took the heat sink off. We re applied much thicker

1 Like

How has it been since the new thermal paste?

Fuck. Let me find you a place man.

He told me a few days ago 2 boards have died, not sure if this is one of them. In hindsight looking at this picture I feel bad and should and done every board

Thanks Badger! I appreciate it brotha! IceRiver finally shipped back one of them on my warranty repair from Hong Kong, (they honored their warranty) and Id like to try to protect these investments and get as much out of them as I can. I’m kinda hoping that Iceriver is aware of the thermopaste issue with the batches they send out and just do it when you send them back in. You would think they would because they are less likely to get sent back to them for more warranty work, but who knows?

Oh dang! So you only did one board? Out of pure curiosity I want to know if it was the other boards and if they board that you did was fine. If i was a bettin man, Ill bet that’s what happened.

I asked him and he reckons it’s a different miner we did, I think he has 2.

Yeah I’m keen on picking up a KS5L and putting water cooling plates on it. Just reading Zeus and they also said to use mx 4 6 or 8 so I’ll just have to remember that when I order the plates to get some.

1 Like

@badgerlandcrypto by chance did you find anyplace that would be able to do the thermal paste?

So just got my flights booked. Ill be flying in to complete the work. Gotta protect these little investments. lol

1 Like

Figured I would post this for all to see. This is the current last 60 days screenshot of the KS3M. Ill let it run for about a week after I complete the work and show you guys what the thermal paste does.

1 Like

Love to see updates as time passes :facepunch:t5::raised_hands:t5::raised_hands:t5::raised_hands:t5:

1 Like

Will do bro. I should be applying the thermal paste on the 27th and will let it run a week before I show the difference.
Just curious, how do these temperatures compare to all your KS3M’s?

1 Like

So this is after the thermal paste replacement. It helped a little but it didn’t help much. The three day downtime was when I was replacing the paste. After getting my other KS3M repaired I realized that this analysis might not entirely be fair because if there was damage done to the microchips that may cause these thermo-irregularities the paste might not help due to the damage has already been done. Just speculation but I thought I would post for those that are considering doing it.

1 Like