Life expectation of ASIC miner?

As a newbie with his first ASIC miner on order maybe I’m asking a taboo question but here it goes…

What is the expected life timeframe of a ASIC miner? These things run 24/7/365 at max output. We are spending well over $10K for most of these miners and their are lots of “ROI” claims/calculations on them, but what is the real world time frame before the average (whatever that means) ASIC miner/computer fails beyond repair?

I would love to hear from forum members giving their account of "I bought my ASIC miner on ‘X date’ and it lasted until ‘this date’ before it failed.

Looks like this has already been answered on another recent post…3-5 years depending on how you treat the equipment and the environment you keep them in.

Anyone else agree/disagree with this?

Thanks!

1 Like

Would help if I knew! :grinning:

The issue is a lack of data on this matter, the oldest miners are only from 2017 just 4-5years (Correct me if there are older machines). Nothing has been around long enough to see if they can stand the test of time. These include Bitfury, Cheetah, the Antminer S9. Before 2017 It’s my understanding bitcoin was mined with GPU’s and CPU’s.

From what I have been able to gather online, you tend suffer from mining pool difficulties increase first before hardware failure. There will be issues as it is a piece of equipment but “keeping up with the tech” is more the problem.

1 Like

I think Zpan is pretty on target here. I have some L3+ machines running overclocked for 4ish years, and the only problems I have had is the exhaust fans dying, some new fans from Amazon and they are back trucking away. The issue becomes how much they can produce per day Vs. how much electricity they use. The market is high enough that my machines are still profitable, but not by much. I think the majority of machines will become obsolete from advances in blockchain difficulty, and newer machines before the machines themselves give out.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback!

1 Like