Max rigs in an apartment (based on electricity usage)

Question about electricity, for whatever reason I can’t really wrap my head around electricity uses and where I might max out.

Basically currently I have 1 rig running, and in the spring I’ll be moving somewhere where electricity is relatively cheap, and also is pretty cold in the winter (eastern Canada). I like the idea of setting up several additional rigs mainly for fun, side bonus they’ll act as heaters, 3rd is the actual crypto. It’ll be a 2 bedroom apartment, not owned just rented. So I can’t do anything with modifying the electrical panel etc. I just have zero idea how many rigs can you run off a normal, typical 2 bedroom residential apartments electricity. Assume 1200 PSU per rig, could I do several attached to 1 outlet, 1 per outlet, 1 per room? Again, I have zero clue, tried watching some videos about wattage and amps etc but still didn’t get anywhere.

If anyone can give me laymans terms how I figure it out or basically how I determine where I max out I’d super duper doge appreciate it.

I recommend letting the pro’s do any changes to the electric. We had 5 GPU rigs running in our house in 3 different rooms with 1 ASIC and we heated our home all winter. We had to have the windows open when it was snowing most of the time due to the heat. We did not turn on the furnace.

2 Likes

-several attached to one outlet - no
-1 per outlet - only if on different circuits
-1 per room - maybe, sometimes outlets in other rooms are on the same circuit

You will need to put each rig on a different circuit. To find out how many circuits you have, you will need to go to the main electrical panel and figure out how many breakers you have. Each one is a different circuit and is rated for the number of amps printed on the breaker (usually 15). Shut a breaker off and figure out which outlets or lights etc. turned off. Repeat that until you know what each breaker is powering. You don’t want to put a rig on a circuit that has more than 300-400 watts worth of other devices/lights on it. You can go up to 1800 watts on a regular 15 amp circuit but I would keep it to 1500 watts or less. If you see a breaker that says 20 on it, just treat it as though it is really 15 amp unless you know what wire size was used throughout that whole circuit.

You also have to consider the size of the main breaker in the panel. You obviously can’t exceed that so you don’t actually get to have one rig per circuit most likely.

3 Likes

It depends how your breakers are set-up and the wiring is done. Typically multiple outlets are on the same breaker, so you’ll need to check your fuse box to see what sort amps they take. There was a post on here about this before, but here’s a decent link for some more specifics:

3 Likes

Much appreciated, great info! Thanks.

Awesome thank you very much!

We had a newer built home and found that 2 of the spare bedrooms were on 15AMP. So if we hammered full in both of those rooms we would have had issues.

My last house had all 20A breakers but not one receptacle was rated for 20A and all the wire was 14GA. I’m surprised the previous owner didn’t burn it down.

3 Likes

It is a code violation to place a 20A breaker on 14 gauge wire … It will trip at 20A or above (the higher the faster) but the wire temperature will be above spec.