Mining with Apple Silicon M1

So I just got a new Mac Mini with the M1 chip in it and was trying to get an idea of how it can do for mining. I think it could do quite well actually if there was some software optimized to use it, but I have not come across any. I tried minergate just to see if it could mine anything and it seems to mine XMR as high as a measly 800 H/s. I tried XMRig with similar results. Does anyone know of a way to optimize for these new chips? They are incredibly power efficient and powerful so though it would be fun to have a little Mac Mini miner.

1 Like

Till now no one has complied the RandomX code (XMR POW) to run on a Apple M1 Rosetta Architecture.

If you want to fully utilize the power of M1, you have to write a complier which will convert RandomX to assembly code of M1 and you need to be software developer.

Just post a request on github and wait for someone to do it for you.

1 Like

Yeah, kind of figured that would be the case. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

try Honey miner for mac it mines XMR or ZEC and then auto converts it to BTC but i doubt you will see any increase in mining power since the software isn’t optimized . here is an article if you want to test it out.

1 Like

I hate Honeyminer… As you said it is not optimised yet… Their fees is high

You can use Nicehash instead

2 Likes

I don’t think NiceHash works on MacOS though. I will probably just check back on the community from time to time. The M1 chips are fantastic especially from a power per watt standpoint so if someone optimizes some mining software for them they could be great. I am especially excited to see what Apple comes out with for the higher end chips in the future. These are the slowest chips they are going to make

1 Like

Pleas let us know what one finds out and update this thread. Curious on this as well since I bought an new Macbook Pro M1 as well. If I find out something useful I´ll share it here.

3 Likes

Guys… I asked the RandomX Devs (POW of XMR) and their reply was optimizations is been developed in Dev Branch it will be merged with the main code (Checkout RandomX in Github) soon…

Current benchmarks https://xmrig.com/benchmark/5AVxtn
A jump from 800H/s to 2300H/s

2 Likes

Nice info. But, why would you mine XMR on 699$ Mac Mini M1 which is sensitive mini computer without proper cooling? The M1 is a hybrid CPU (4 big + 4 small cores) which isn’t ideal for mining. Cache is to small - 12MB. 2300H/s will not provide any significant profitability , maybe 4$ or max 5$ monthly if power usage is at M1 max which is only good thing here - 15W. Now pretty cheap Ryzen 5 3600 (150-200$) can pull out 7200H/s at 62W which will make 14$ monthly based on today price.

1 Like

I very well know this. I don’t have a M1
People are just curious to see what Apple Silicon can deliver. Laptops have weak heat management system

2 Likes

XMRig update available with Apple M1 support available: https://github.com/xmrig/xmrig/releases