My build with results, first timer

My experience level:
I’ve built a handful of computers over the years, mostly following Toms Hardware recommendations. I never do much other than push the over clock button on the MoBo :slight_smile: I finally decided to make a mining rig after wanting to for several years.

My rig:
Total cost $920
| Component | Price each | Number bought | Total price |
|OLOy DDR4 RAM 2x8GB|63.99|1|$63.99|
|Risers|4.99|2|$9.98|
|6 120 fans|29.99|1|$29.99|
|Kingwin Case|49.99|1|$49.99|
|Gigabyte GA-H110-D3A Mobo|75.95|1|$75.95|
|Intell BX80662G440 Pentium G4400 3.3 GHz|67.98|1|$67.98|
|Used Corsair GS900 Power Supply|49.99|1|$49.99|
|Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT|279.99|2|$559.98|
|Fan splitter cable|11|1|$11.00|
120 GB SSD I had laying around

Results:
70 Mh/s total, 35/card
I’m running Claymore 15 on Windows 10

What I learned:
After getting everything put together it looks like these cards can’t be overclocked much. It was more complicated than I expected to get everything running and installed correctly, but like I imagined, I was able to find enough help to figure out all the problems. Biggest hurdle was realizing I had to install one card at a time for windows to correctly recognize and install drivers.

Where to go from here:
1 - I want to run this for a week and then switch to a different coin and compare, maybe try a different miner or mining pool
2 - I would like to see if I can get a different card and run on this system and compare without hopefully causing any problems
3 - If I don’t do other cards, I’ll likely get a few more of these cards because adding more has an efficiency ratio since I don’t need to buy more MoBo’s or RAM since I already have that part. For example, it looks like I can triple my earning with 2 more cards and break even at the same point with 4 cards as I can with the 2 and what I spent so far.

Any suggestions or things you would have done differently?

Honestly, I am not a fan of the 5600 because of the high price point relative to the 5700. I would pay the extra $50 for 56Mh/s vs 35 Mh/s. The ROI is much shorter with 5700s. That said, you can do better than 35 Mh/s with the 5600s. You should be able to get them up to at least 40 Mh/s at 85W with some more tweaking. The more GPUs you add, the better your ROI will be. I would really consider 5700s for expansion though. I would even consider returning the 5600s if it isn’t too late.

1 Like

Rx5700 xt full workload at 95deg C be careful using it

I think that is in reference to the driver issues they had at launch. I’ve seen no issues with invalids or high temps while mining. It is 85 F in the place they are located right now and they are running at 50-52 C at 55% fan speed.

1 Like

same here i have plenty of pics of my XT running at normal temps I did have issues before I got my drivers sorted like bick mentioned I would only buy an XT version if it costs less than the non xt though I just like my non XT’s better for some reason

For a first timer I think you did really good chosing you hardware though you did way better than I did and you have spent way less than me so I would give you an A.

1 Like

Can I add them to the same rig without likely problems?

Looks like they are $100 more but still probably worth it

Yes, you can run them on the same rig with no problems. The prices seem to go up daily lately. 6 months ago, you could find them for $299 new. Last month, they were $329. Now they are $349. I’m not sure if it is COVID or demand that is driving the prices up. I have been able to find them used for $290-$300 on ebay. All used 5700s are still under warranty so I am fine with them.

Since TeamRedMiner released their latest version. 5700s are now among the most efficient at mining RVN too. I tested it out and got 21 Mh/s at 100W using my ethash settings. I am told you can get 26+ Mh/s if you turn them loose.

2 Likes

I am waiting for the next gen GPU’s to drop before I buy more I have a feeling they will cause last gen models to drop in price

1 Like

Question for you. I noticed you commented on this and am looking to pick brain of people. I have been mining with GPU on my gaming pc for a week. Looking to purchase a ASIC miner to get more “committed” to mining. Before I do I was thinking maybe I should form a LLC that is my mining company so that these expenses/profits are for the business and not the person for tax/capital gains purposes. Is this what you have done/recommend?

I’m in South Africa and have opened a business just for that.

I pay the additional electric from the profits, so it’s money in and out like a business.

I went through this with the help of a tax practitioner so as not to shoot myself in the foot.

Each country is different I guess, so never hurts to ask the guys who do your taxes what they suggest

Great thank you. That is what I was thinking, but no reason not to ask question from people who have real life experience! THANKS, good luck and stay safe.

you can get 41mh on the 5600XT though for far better wattage.