My first mining rig. I understand the basics (I think) but I have a question regarding the Zotac GEforce 3070 and my PSU

Here is an update:

1 Like

I just tried a new PSU. It clicks then it powers off.

1 Like

I have many computers used for mining. MSI Afterburner will not allow voltage editing on some of the computers but will on others. I found by trying different GPU drivers that it is a function of the driver. Some drivers allow Afterburner to alter the voltage, some donā€™t. You still need to enable voltage control in the general setup page.

You said you had 2 CPU cables that end in 4+4 EATX connectors. You said you are using just 1. Swap the CPU cable with the other one in case itā€™s the cable thatā€™s bad.

The CPU to PCIE adapters listed from Amazon will carry the same load as the Power Supply cables but note, the connectors are rated for 150 Watts. There are brands that use thinner wires and are not suitable for GPU use. Temperature is what the ampacity ratings are all about. Thin wire or poor connections get hot.

1 Like

You donā€™t need to undervolt the GPU for mining, Just lower the power level while mining until the core clock frequency drops like a rock. I mean to around 300. Then increase thel power level by 1 until the core clock jumps back up to somewhere around 1200-1500 Mhz.

A GPU with lowered Power Level will not draw over 150 watts.

To get the internal graphics to display you must enter the bios and set the computer to use internal graphics first. Ususally that is the default, so if you clear the cmos, it should boot and use the hdmi port.
Alternatively you could plug 1 video card into the motherboard to get video long enough to make the changes.

If it would only boot. I wouldnā€™t think a cpu would even boot without the EATX 12v connected.

1 Like

I tried two Asus Z390-P MOBOā€™s and they both refused to boot with the EATX 12v connected so they are both going back to amzn. Ironically the PSU was more than willing to power the GPU when the EATX 12v was unplugged.

What MOBOā€™s have you had success with and which will work best with my LGA1151 G4560? Thanks.

Based on 14nm Kaby Lake (7th generation) architecture, the Intel Pentium G4560 is a great choice for mining motherboards. Iā€™ve used two different boards that require specifically 6th or 7th generation processors. Right now they are expensive and harder to get. I had to return one to newegg as it was the wrong product sold from a 3rd party. I actually got a good deal on eBay from the US. Hereā€™s the two I have that a specifically for mining:
BioStar TB250-BTC pro Motherboard 802700507441 | eBay

Make sure the letters at the bottom of box contain ā€œPROā€ as well as PRO in the hammer.
Same product from Amazon is more expensive and sellers ratings are poor

Amazon.com: Biostar Motherboard TB250-BTC PRO Core i7/i5/i3 LGA1151 Intel B250 DDR4 Supports 6 AMD and 6 NVIDIA Graphics Cards: Computers & Accessories

Gigabyte b250 Fintech MOBO. Gigabyte B250-FINTECH Mining Motherboard | eBay

Now, others recommend this motherboard:

ASUS B250 MINING EXPERT LGA 1151 ATX Intel Cryptocurrency Mining Motherboard - Newegg.com

Finally, this board is good if you skip every other X1 slot so the usb connector boards donā€™t short out.

ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ LGA 1151 Intel H110 ATX Intel Cryptocurrency Mining (BTC) Motherboard - Newegg.com

Right now prices are jacked up and you can get the best deal on eBay
I still canā€™t explain why you current mobo is giving you fits

The MOBO should have booted although I was using a 7th gen CPU?

There are lots of people having issues with that MOBO.

1 Like

Well after 3 dead MOBOā€™s I have two 1660 supers, a 3060Ti, and a 3070 mining ETH. Its been interesting to say the least. Just acquired a 5700XT, 5500XT, 2070 Super, and a 3070 all at MSRP. Waiting for the mining frame to come in so I can build the next rig. Thanks @Dollyshunk for all of the help :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I donā€™t think I mentioned, but it 's worth consideration. When mounting the motherboard on the rig, There are places for up to 9 brass standoffs. Iā€™ve used many motherboards, and they never have holes for mounting the motherboard in the same place. Typically the middle hole on the right side of the motherboard could be missing and the middle hole in the center is missing on some models. Finally, the front center of the motherboard may have two mounting holes an inch or so apart and other motherboards have only one.

My point is that if you screw in all the standoffs and the motherboard doesnā€™t have a hole for some of them, then the motherboard will SHORT out on the standoffs that donā€™t fit the motherboard. Iā€™ve actually know this to happen.

Update

The PSU died a few days ago so I returned the Rosewill and got a 1000w EVGA unit (lesson 1: donā€™t cheap out on your PSU. This is my first ever computer build so I didnā€™t know any better :joy:). Also the fans died on one of my 1660 supers so I returned that as well and replaced it with a 3070. My little 6 GPU rig is running the following and churning 305MH at 695w:

1660 super (1)
2070 super (1)
3060 Ti (1)
3070 (3)

Planning on building the next rig as soon as I can get GPUā€™s for MSRP (I tried Thursday but was very unsuccessful :joy::joy::joy:)

Hi all,

Hope everyone is fine during this worldwide pandemicā€¦

Iā€™m finishing building :grinning: my first RIG with 5x 1660 SUPER and 1x 1660 TI, going to post photos on this thread I donā€™t understand why my rig stops mining ETH randomlyā€¦

:grinning:

I have a question about a RIG with 6x RTX 3070 is this PSU LC1800 V2.31 - Mining, able to power up all 6 GPUs, 6 Risers, MOBO, CPU, RAM, and HDD?

Thanks

Hi great community,

Or in another words, what would you use to power a RIG with 6x RTX 3070?

:smiley:

Thank you guys.

Triple power connectors on the 3080:

6 x 3080 Step By Step Mining Rig Build LIVE STREAM! Part 1 - YouTube

For 3070ā€™s:

adding 2 x 3070ā€™s to a mining rig donā€™t watch - YouTube

1 Like

Hi @Dollyshunk,

So according to Red Mining Panda a 1200W PSU if enough to power up 6x 3070 great.

As you know Iā€™m finishing the 6x 1660 SUPER RIG and believe it or not my wife wantā€™s to build a 6x 3070 RIG :rofl:

Thanks a lot once againā€¦

1 Like

I would hope so. 1000W is more than enough to power my small rig.

2 Likes

Hi @Sanblz33,

Just got my rig going on with 6x RTX 3070 :smiley:

Donā€™t know if you or @Dollyshunk can help on a few issues that Iā€™m having with 2 of the GPUsā€¦

All the GPUs are running with the following settings:

• Software: RaveOS
  • Miner: T-Rex 0.19.11 (CUDA 11)
  • Core Clock: -200 Mhz
  • Memory Clock: 2300 Mhz
  • Power Limit: 120w
  • Fan: 70%
  • Target Temp, CĀŗ: 70Āŗ

All of the GPUs are getting around 61.10 Mh/s, but the models with 3 vents are getting below thatā€¦

Also, the core speed on the ā€œMSI GeForce RTXā„¢ 3070 GAMING X TRIOā€ and ā€œMSI GeForce RTXā„¢ 3070 VENTUS 3X OCā€ go from 615 MHz and 1200 MHz without any reason and without changing anythingā€¦

Never got any Invalid share, only a few Stale shares but a very low percentage like 0.1%.

Pics from the homemade rig :smiley: using old window frames:

Hardware:

• 1x MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO
  • 2x ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC White Edition
  • 2x MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC
  • 1x MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC
  • MOBO Gigabyte Z390 UD (with latest BIOS update)
  • Intel Core i5-8400 Hexa-Core 2.8GHz c/ Turbo 4.0GHz 9MB Skt1151
  • RAM Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4-2666MHz CL19
  • PSU Kolink Continuum 1500W 80+ Platinum
  • Risers PCI-E 1x to 16x Powered USB 3.0 Extender Riser Adapter Card version 009S (Mineshop)
  • SSD 2.5" Gigabyte 120GB TLC SATA

Many thanks in advance.

Nice looking rig :+1:

Honestly its kind of the luck of the draw with these things (from what I have personally witnessed).

1 Like

Well just made a few changes in the OC setting of the MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO and the MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC.

• Core Clock: -200 Mhz
  • Memory Clock: 2600 Mhz
  • Power Limit: 140w

Final result:

They are now on 62.32 Mh/s it looks they needed more juice :smiley:

Will keep you guys posted.

Hi,

About adding extra ventilation to the rigā€¦

The airflow must be from front to back, back to front, or it simply doesnā€™t matter?

Thanks