New guy here! Interested in Helium mining - Am I too late?

Hello everyone,

I am learning about Helium, and Helium mining. I am interested in getting a Bobcat miner. I am just wondering if I am too late to jump in? Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

You are not too late to the game, helium mining became a thing only this year so. As per profitability, it depends on where you live and how many nodes are around you. I bought 2 Bobcats earlier this month as well.

1 Like

I am interested in the Bobcat and would love to purchase one

Thank you so much!! I am planning on picking up a Bobcat soon. I’m looking around my area, there aren’t many nodes around me.

That’s the key. Some areas are way saturated. But if your area is not you’re right on time.

1 Like

This is good to know! I really appreciate your help!
Also, the explorer is down for me. How about you?

Thanks,
Eric

from my studying into Helium, it depends on your situation.

I live in a rural area of Colorado that some what hilly, yet there are people here running 8db antennas and able to push the signal out up to 25 miles! it foes over some miners to the terrain but it hits ones further out no problem.

Hi everyone. I’m basically in the same situation. I live in a medium-sized city, and it looks like all the hexs around me are in the 2-4 number range.

I was hoping to get in on the MNTD drop, but I was unfortunately a mere mortal and couldn’t get one. Not sure if I quite yet have the stomach to buy a Bobcat with USDC, great tutorials or no.

I bought 2 towards the end of August and aren’t expecting them until February at the earliest.

The MNTD drops have been terrible as has their customer service. I mean it is RAK after all and they’re incredibly shady as a company.

Bobcat is legit and trusted. Just depends on if the wait is worth it. If you’d make more than reseller markup in 1-2 months. They it may be ok to buy now off a third party. Or just wait it out.

Never too late. Good location. Good grouping, GOOD antenna, Good to go!

What’s you overall experience with the mining hardware you have? Was it easy to setup? Average cost per month you’re profiting? I just started to research HNT mining and like the Panther X2 Hotspot. As a newbie to this, I would be interested in your experience (to all members as well).

Thanks

Setup is super simple to get your node up and running. You may need to troubleshoot being relayed or a better location which adds time invested.
If you want higher returns then you are going to need to spend more time and money.
You are looking at least another $200 for a good 3-8dbi antenna, cable, mounting hardware, etc. But you will see much better returns if done properly.

I use a 8dbi antenna on a 10’ EMT on top of a 25’ pole. My witnesses are MUCH better than just plugging into the wall and letting it go. I would love to try out a 5-6dbi antenna. I do think 8 is overkill but looking at cost/time its not worth testing it out.

People seem to dislike the Panther miners. I have no experience with them

Great detail to my response! :clap:t3:

I appreciate the insight. I like in complex building where I don’t have the ability to add a pole, etc… for more witnesses. I was thinking of a set it up and forget it type. I live in a medium city. My HEX on the HNT map is 2. However, little over a mile from me are double digit HEX numbers.

I’m not trying to make millions of this, yet. LOL. But I am interested in the tech and the idea behind it. The community and all. Overall, just more things being plugged into the Internet (IoT).

Again, I appreciate the detail and will think about my next steps.

Do you have friends who’ve expressed this?
I don’t see much review when searched. Especially since Panther X 2 is very new (circa Jan - 2022)

Thanks for your time!

I have a Panther X2 and its been fine, zero problems. Only about 10 days so far though.