New to Mining - Do's and Don'ts

I’d say a do’s and don’ts list is too easy for such a giant topic with so many versions.

I’m a fan of learning from the ground up. In this case that means CPU/GPU mining from your computer or a similar device. Do the steps. The cost of building your own GPU rig (even if it’s only 1 GPU, just to test/learn) is invaluable. And rather “pennies on the dollar” compared to ASIC cost overall.
Learn how to navigate mining pools, configure your miners, what miners to use and why, what to do with your crypto/exchanges, learn GUI/CLI wallets and all the variations. In the advanced mix you will start networking your own system and learning how to run more and more miners leading up to a server and a dedicated location. Too often some dude is mining ETH using nicehash, while never knowing who or what Satoshi is or why we do it.

But rather than take my opinion alone, allow me to refer you to a professional :
DO : watch Vosk youtube videos
DONT : watch other youtube videos about crypto (until you are fluent on a basic level)

addon/edit - Odd thought, very often, old GPU rigs get turned into cold storage wallets or run a blockchain of a project you support. I think it’s fair to say, you can not have too many computers as a crypto person. An old GPU rig, will always be used or have a place with you.

3 Likes