"Off Topic" catagories? (power generation)

There an “off-topic” thread/category anywhere? I’m thinking power generation at 480V with enough stability to run a miner from biomass… if there’s anyone around interested in that topic?

1 Like

Also interested in trying to do some automation (turn miners on off with simple Arduino controllers super cheap based on monitoring profitability live (can turn on and off while your sleeping, self-monitored, based on if they are profitable at your electrical rates). I think it’s a simple Arduino project, but I haven’t had time to do it, so I’m sure someone has already done it, anyone know where there’s a git project or anything?

Yeah I’m interested in biomass, I’m trying to get a 25kw biogas generator. What waste are you going to use, and how much do you think you’ll be able to generate?

1 Like

Wood is easy here, I’d love to go pellet but more equipment investment, a wood chipper and DIY boiler are the short term (3-6 month) things I’m hoping to get working. Maybe DIY steam turbine, some solar tubes (AZ has lots of heat, making MORE heat is easy, making it into power + cooling will be a bit more work, but I think it’s possible, eg https://youtu.be/RZCa5BpE7Xc?si=vlMdO1aHA0LEVkE2 and https://youtu.be/ZvhmqVa4qpY?si=fPAusGs5nm6kIXF6 if I can kinda work out a build in 3-6 months, maybe?).

1 Like

Awesome yeah the guy making the generator said they also do ones for wood which orchards put their prunings in, I reckon that would be a fair bit of work running it 24/7 from wood, would be interesting to see! I reckon you could mass produce carrots in a shipping container for an electricity arbitrage for biogas, which would also take a fair bit of effort, but nothing worth while is easy!

2 Likes

You could also mass produce carrots, for eating!

Of course, but what’s the point if you live in an area where that markets already been filled by carrot growers and there’s already that much food waste as it is, if you grew them cheaper and undercut the next guy all you’ll do is make more food waste anyway from over saturating that market, so you may as well use yours to mine, unless there comes a huge shortage out of nowhere, then you can fill that void, just like how these big mining farms in the US have contracts to turn off their miners if there’s a power shortage from the grid, which allows power companies to expand their energy production all year round and make the grid more stable

1 Like

My cherry season is wrecked from the weather, we are tipping out 12 of these bins a day which is close to 6MW of power, I wish I had my biogas generator setup :sob:

1 Like

no way…i’m still looking for ya!!!