Power cord and PDU for KD MAX

I bought KD MAX and need to get power cord and PDU. I been told that Tripp Lite is good brand and use Heavy Duty Power Extension Cord, such as C14 to C13. Also use L6-30P plug to power the KD MAX.

Any advice on power cords, PDU type or other things I’m missing?

A KD Max is a high wattage rig. Assuming 3350W at 220V, your amp draw would be 15.2A. The typical Tripp Lite PDU (e.g. Tripp Lite Basic PDU1230) maxes out at 30A. Assume that you don’t want to load it past 80% of theoretical load - for margin of safety - brings capacity down to 24A. That’s one KD Max that you’d be able to plug in, plus 9A of something else (e.g. a KD Lite?). Seems like a lot of $$$ ($200-$300) to spend on a PDU that has little real world capacity when dealing with modern ASIC rigs.
IMO, you don’t need a PDU. I ran 4 (now down to 3) ASIC rigs and don’t use PDUs. I run two 30A circuits with 2 outlets per circuit and I balance the load between the two circuits. And bear in mind, a PDU is not a surge protector.

Your ultimate answer will depend on the number of rigs you want to run. If just the KD Max, then perhaps run a dedicated 220V 20A circuit from your breaker box and install a 220V 20A outlet (I like the locking type, e.g. L6-20R) close to where the rig will be located. If you want to run more devices off the same circuit (e.g. KD Max plus an air compressor etc.), then run the math and determine whether you need a 30A, 40A or 50A circuit.

And the math is P = V x I, P = power, watts; V = voltage, volts; I = current, amps. So let’s say you want to run a KD Max plus a large air compressor with peak draw of 15A. Then total draw would be 30A. So you’d either need two 20A circuits, or a 40A circuit with 2 outlets. Or just one 20A circuit/outlet if you shutoff your KD Max before running the air compressor. There are a bunch of ways to slice it.

I’ve deferred to 220V as it yields a more conservative answer. Assuming you’re using residential power, your circuit voltage probably would be closer to 240V, but you’d have to measure.

If you go with a 220V 20A locking outlet, you could get something like this to connect up to your KD Max

If you’re not handy and lack confidence, don’t listen to some guy on the internet. Hire an electrician. Electricity is not something to be f#cked with if you don’t know what you’re doing.

1 Like