Rookie Needs Help! Power Question

Howdy everyone! I’m looking at picking up an ASIC miner for Bitcoin, specifically the Caanan A1246. I see it, as with most, ASIC miners requires 220V. I live in the US, so I’m assuming that they are not compatible ‘out of the box’ as we operate on 110V. Is that correct? If so, what is the suggested next step? Thank you for helping out a rookie :slight_smile:

The miner will work on 110v it is the PSU that changes it from an ac to a dc voltage. 240v is more efficient than a 110v . So you can use 110v to run your miner but it will use more electric than if operating on a 240v.

Now if you have 2 spare breakers in your panel you can use a double pole breaker and make a dedicated circuit for 240v this would be the up to code way and comply to nes guideline.

Standard US electrical is 208V / 3 ph ! That means you have 208V between phases, but 110V between each Phase and Ground. All you need is a dedicated Breaker for the phases (and some dedicated wiring).
Ph 1 - Ph 2 = 208V
Ph 2 - Ph 3 = 208V
Ph 1 - Ph 3 = 208V
Ph 1 - GND = 110V
Ph 2 - GND = 110V
Ph 3 - GND = 110V
However, most Asics are made in China or Taiwan and use 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz in the US !
Make sure the powersupply of the Asic can handle 60Hz !
The voltage is not the problem, you have both 110V and 208V in every house in the US ! But some power supplies can’t handle 60Hz, most of them do though.
If foggon5’s comment is correct ?! then you can use either 110V or 208V ! With 208V you would reduce the power draw quite dramatically and be more profitable (a lot more !).
Hope that helps

Thank you to the both of you, this is exactly what I needed! Cheers!

I am an electrician in the us standard us supply is 110-120v to household single phase, three phase is used in industrial 440v. To get the 220-240v which is usually used for water heaters, electric dryers and electric stoves a double poled breaker is used and causes a split phase which where you add two hot lines in series into one hot line 110 +110 =220v. a 220-240v outlet has a different outlet and plug this is to stop you from putting a standard plug into the outlet. as for 50 and 60 hertz that is the amount of cycles per second and only applies to AC. The PSU changes that to an DC output so there is no Frequency and most PSU are rated for 50 and 60 hertz.

The term Phase is related to the number of hot wires and a neutral wire and the direction of the output all standard household electrical distribution panels have 1 hot wire @ 110v per bus bar and 1 neutral wire. Most breaker panels have 2 bus bars that are staggered so no adjacent breaker is on the same bus bar/pole and makes achieving 240v simpler.

3 Likes

I may need you assistance haha. I’m renting 1bd apartment and I’m not allowed to change anything such as wiring, moving walls/layout or even waste utilities in my lease agreement. I have L7’s on the way how can I go about it?

is heat provided by the landlord. Im in upper NY state and i use my miners as heaters during winter. If you have a dryer outlet that you dont use that is 240v 30amps plenty for a L7.

@foggon5 Enough amps/voltage for 2 or 3 L7’s? I’m in Boston
I do have washer/dryer hookup. Any idea? haha

you could use the dryer hook up is it a four or three pin plug at the dryer outlet. i have a 110v dryer so my dyer outlet is not used so i have my miners plugged into that. What i did was got a dryer connection lead ran it to a junction box. In the junction box wired it to 10 gauge romex, then attached a l6-30r nema socket which my PDU plugs into.

1 Like