S19 setup | Power requirement

Hello everyone! I’m new here, would appreciate any help from the community.

I’m in US and want to set up 2 of S19 miners which is 3250watt each. The recommendation is 240V but US residential standard is 120V, I can’t read the breaker box so I’m assuming I have 120V. 3250/120= 27amps splitting into 2 is 13.5amps on each wire to the miner’s supplier. My breakers are 20 Amps but they split into 2 outlets so 10Amps on each. I’m looking to use a transformer to bump up the power which feel magical and I have no experience in.

I don’t want to rework the electrical setup. Also no experience in electricity engineering background, just some basics.

Would be graceful for any suggestion and help.

No trying to be a smart ass or anything but you obviously don’t know anything about electrical and should call an electrician to install what you need.

I say this based of the fact you don’t understand you have 240v service.

1 Like

I’m not from US so when I pull this up I’m a little confused. Usually it say the volt and amp on each breaker but here it just say the amp. And I did wiring myself before but it was much easier when I have 240V.

Just get 240 volts. And a 30 amp outlet.

2 Likes

There’s a 2 breaker with 40amps on it so most likely 240v but 2 miners running on it might be risky; using 27 from 30Amp on the PDU. Getting 40/50amps doesn’t seem worth it :frowning:

2 Likes

I agree with eekns, you should watch the video.

In the US, you have to have a licensed electrician work on any of your residential electrical work. Otherwise, if code enforcement (which varies from state to state and even sometimes county to county) finds you in violation, you’re not only liable for any damages/injuries/loss of life that could result but also have to pay additional fines. Any time you modify circuits basically. So I don’t recommend you tamper with anything.

but for educational purposes I will answer your questions. This breaker box looks like it might only be 120VAC. The reason I say that is because it doesn’t have a main breaker which makes it look like a sub-panel. If anything is 240VAC, it would be the range so I would check on that, if so that would mean 240VAC is present in this panel and you could have an electrician add two 20A, 120VAC a circuits near the panel. But, this depends on how the sub panel is fed from the upstream panel.

for an S19 you will need 240, with the stock PSU, so having that in your panel is your best bet.

about the transformer. What it does is ‘transform’ the voltage. It has an input and an output. If you have a 1in to 2out transformer and you put 120 in, you get 240 out. But there’s a rule, the Power out is always slightly less than the power in. So you actually use more power, which means you’re going to use a bit more energy for the same amount of hash power. The reason is because transformers don’t just transform voltage, they also transform current but in the opposite way. So a 1in to 2out transformer will transform current 2in to 1out. Using your miner as an example, If you find the current draw of your miner at 240VAC it would be 3250/240= 13.5A. So attaching the miner to the output side of the transformer then requires 27amps on the input, 120VAC, side. So then you end up in the same situation where you need now need to add two 30A, 120VAC breakers and have a circuit for each miner.

hope this helps you understand transformers better haha. Let me know if you have more questions.

You think it looks like a 120v panel?? Did you even look at the pictures, breakers, and labels? 2 double pole breakers… range and ac…

Like I said, he needs an electrician! For what it’s worth, I am a retired code enforcement official (Fire Marshal)… I have seen my fair share of DIY electrical work and the damage that can result from people doing the job wrong.

I’m unfamiliar with US layout that’s why. Usually both the Amps and volt is labeled next to the breaker for me and it has always been 240V until now. Here in US it’s just the Amps labeled so I got a little confused and ask.

And yes I’m having an electrician to do the installation if needed. I’m not planning to go cheap and burn my room down.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I actually was so confused what the ranger was referring to. It’s the oven/stove which luckily has the outlet that I can plug into straight away. It’s 40Amps with 240watts already so this look like I can plug PDU and I’m set. Guess I won’t be using the ranger while mining XD

I will be consulting an electrician on this but feel free to lmk your opinion.

1 Like

For two miner u need 50 amps but looking at pictures your missing your main breaker which should be 125 breaker so that might be a sun panel

haha I didn’t deep dive the pictures, and I never recommend he tamper with his electrical and actually recommended a licensed electrician. idk why you’re barking at me lol.

@IcyShotz now you can see how critical US code enforcement really is haha.

1 Like

I know you did but the reason I said something is you said it looked like a 120v panel… you don’t have to deep dive the picture to know it’s not. A quick glance and you see double pole breakers.

And yea once you see people burnt to death, it changes your attitude towards uneducated DIY electrical work. What people don’t understand is the codes are the minimal requirements for safety.

Hey, I run an electrical contracting company. There is a lot more things to consider than shoving a cable into a range receptacle. Range receptacles are generally 40 Amp at 240V. S19 flexible cord is often 12AWG or even 14AWG. If you try to protect a 15 amp wire with a 40 amp breaker, it won’t and could under certain circumstances burn your house down. Please get a local electrician to help you. These miners use a continuous load and your breakers in that C/H panel are not rated for continuous, meaning you must only pull 12 amps from a 15 amp breaker. You must size the wire and the breaker and the flexible cord to the load. Even then you may have to de-rate depending on proximity to other cables. These are just a few issues. There are many more. Get a pro and get additional advice from that pro.