Showing the world the power of decentralized currency

Okay, I don’t have a wallet, yet. But, I will…soon. When it’s set up, I was mulling the idea of generating good vibes regarding Cryptocurrency mining and would appreciate feedback.

Lately, environmentalists have accused the Cryptocurrency miner community of sucking all of the oxygen out of the room with our copious usage of electricity to selfishly make crypto for our own use. As misleading and misguided as their propaganda is, I was wondering if a grassroots effort to organize and fund a charitable organization, dedicated to helping the less fortunate in our world might put us in a better light, while also doing something good for the world.

I’m not asking for everyone to tithe, or feel compelled to contribute. All I want to do is show the world the power of a globalized, yet, decentralized currency to do good in our world.

With the aid of the internet we can pick a small and forsaken town, in some out of the way country, where a little money could go a long way. Perhaps, even Elon Musk would offer a one-time opportunity to showcase the power of his starlink service by volunteering bandwidth for a first time event.

Imagine, a poor community in some jungle where one person has the only form of communication for an entire community; a smartphone with the only service in a town several kilometers away. This person could use a phone to take video of the poor living conditions and transmit their video via starlink. He/She could request a solar panel, a water pump, some pipe, a couple LED bulbs and a chargeable battery pack.

The world would witness volunteers crowdsourcing, in real time, crypto funds to a wallet belonging to a stranger on the other side of the world. A stranger living in a community desperate for clean drinking water and a few LED bulbs to light the night, making life just a little bit easier for people, no one even met. For a few hundred USD, everything could be purchased in real time by those accepting Cryptocurrency as payment and shipped to a destination no one has ever heard of. Then, we’d get video of a grateful community.

You see, it’s easy for those leading the green revolution to point fingers at “selfish” miners. But the only way they ever seem to help the poor is when they collect goods, get on a flight and turn it into a photo opportunity. All of the carbon wasted for a photo opportunity. Meanwhile, miners can crowdsource the funds in real time directly to a wallet. There, the people can take care of themselves and they can buy their own goods (or, pick them up at a post office).

Miners using the opportunity to help the less fortunate, and perhaps, giving those seeking our destruction, a chance to be quiet, sit down and behold the power of the decentralized system we stand for.

I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks.

1 Like

I actually always thought it would be good for communities with no electricity to make use of mining because you can purchase the electrical equipment for mining and the excess electricity would be used in the community. However the obvious thing is they would not be able to afford it.

However hear me out - what if you crowd funded an electrical hosting facility in such a town, you generate enough electricity to power the town + the miners. A lot of times in my experience I have excess electricity from my solar, peak days I generate 5X what is needed to power my miners. However the very worst days I can only generate 20% of what is needed to power my miners.

Solar obviously isn’t the only option and it would depend on the location as to what is best.
There’s also a lot of other factors as to why there might not be electricity in some areas. Think of the floods in Pakistan for example, is there the risk of floods destroying everything ever year? What about security, would the next town down the road without electricity get angry and essentially loot the equipment for sale and try to take what they can?

In my eyes that would paint mining in the best light possible “excess green electricity from mining farm used to power town that has never had electricity before”

There are plenty of charities that are supposed to help people like you described. I used to donate to save the children and one of the charity workers in a refugee camp in Yemen said the water truck used to come every day and now it had not come for 3 months (Just from memory) as to why the trucks stopped coming. Did the insurgents take control of those roads so the truck couldnt come anymore, or did they not have the funds to send the water there anymore? Who knows.

If someone was to set up electricity generation for mining and power a community with it, I would happily donate some of my older miners so they could get the $ back and the community can keep the electricity. Im sure it would not be that simple, but that itself would dramatically improve their quality of life, and it is one donation that would reproduce forever - not like the water truck that requires a payment each trip and eventually runs out.

All are good ideas. Anything, which showcases the benevolence of crypto miners as being more than greedy people out to destroy the world is a great idea!!

The problem we face is the world is painting a picture of what’s “green” and what’s not using a wide brush and broad strokes. We need to align ourselves with those who showcase the good we’re capable of.

Sure, mining uses resources. But it can give back in ways, which others stuck in a centralized system cannot. Perhaps it’s also time to start a “green” coin, which can only be mined using green technologies.

I guess, what I’m saying is, the old adage of “if you’re not part of the solution, then you’re part of the problem” doesn’t have to apply!! Being decentralized, we can self-regulate our own issues. We could be a beacon of hope and change, rather than a pariah.

I mine using Solar and Lithium batteries. The mining for Lithium is not green and Solar will have a huge waste problem when it comes to the end of their lifespan, but no one wants to admit this. I personally think that painting miners in a bad light is nothing but political or virtue signaling. Are they trash talking miners in hopes the prices will go lower so they can “buy the dip”? Or by convincing the masses that they can destroy an evil army of miners that is destroying the world to paint themselves in a better light? Who knows. I really dont think you can convince these people that miners arent bad, and thats ok. We can do good things and if people still think we are bad then who cares, because the people who think miners are bad are the ones who complain about everything but do nothing to change it. Ever seen the Simpsons, “Cant someone else do it?” thats what I think when I hear people complaining about everything. You seem to have a good heart, and I’m not saying you shouldnt try to change the world for the better and I hope you/I/we can. But just dont be surprised if miners are forever known as “evil greedy people” no matter what we do. And if any journalist did any research onto how mining is operated they would be surprised as to how much energy is renewable.

Tell me about it. I look out of my window every morning to see the way the wind is blowing to help me see if it’s going to be a nice day or a chilly day. I do this by looking at the steam generated from the nuclear power plant a few miles away.

My concern is not what everyday people think of miners. My concern is what lobbyists and those commissioned to write reports for Presidents think, and what they communicate to decision-makers.

Since the spot line is on energy use anything that make crypto a part of a movement toward greener energy would I believe make more progress. The initial idea put forth sounds like a charitable organization whose primary donation source is crypto which while good would be easier to just lobby more charitable organizations to begin accepting such than to start a new one. One could possibly great a business that takes in crypto and pays out FIAT to charitable organizations of peoples choosing as a sort of currency exchange platform in a sense. That again does not do much to really change the view of crypto. I believe most crypto miners want to go green, it usually means less energy cost which means more profit, but since like many things driven by politically motivated views the truth is irrelevant. Those who want to bring down crypto reach for any tool and the energy cost is low hanging fruit particularly when parts of major nations such as the USA have power issues in select regions. The current lobbyist primarily are fighting to bring down crypto we won’t be changing them they are being funded to do so by powers that view crypto as a threat. These powers could be governments themselves or various traditional financial institutions. You must sway the people first to support crypto in order to fund your own lobbyist to battle against the lobbyist who fight to bring it down.

Actually, the issue is not to bring down crypto. We will always be able to mine. The real underlying issue is the requirement to replace the petro dollar, which is quietly being dismantled as the world’s reserve currency.

Several countries are seeking to replace the LBMA as the group that sets the price of gold. And foreign entities are draining the LBMA and the COMEX. Hence, an e-coin, which can be controlled is the latest effort du jour to prop the fiat currency as debt and our ability to influence goes out the window. But, that’s political and doesn’t belong here, so, I will leave it at that…except, to note, that both parties have (and, had) seats at that table.

What I envision, is similar to what’s going on with Silver. The CFTC, in conjunction with banks, establishing a daily price for an altcoin (My guess, is either ETH, or it’s own unique “stablecoin”). Then, controlling a small percentage, a highly leveraged ETF pops up, which allows the banks to trade (long and short) around a central price. The main difference here, is the ability of the government to switch off countries (and, citizens) from the fiat they used to take positions. You see, with bullion, we are witnessing other countries usurping our dominance in that area. A US sanctioned Stablecoin would eliminate that risk in the future (see Coinbase’s ability to yank altcoin, which the government asked them to install as a backdoor…to let them do business).

So, the idea of doing good, is to understand the bigger picture. It’s NOT about the energy use, per se. It’s the ability to remain decentralized in what’s becoming a highly centralized strategic use of e-coins. Do you think the timing of the merge AND the President’s release of his recommendations on e-coin was coincidental?? If so, think again.

We need to appear as a non-threatening entity. Otherwise, banks will establish ETFs in the e-coins of our choice, and with the CFTC looking the other way, will allow the banks to put a foot on the throats of our decentralized world we want to take part in. We must appear as do-gooders, who abide by green rules and do good things to benefit society. Or, we’ll be taken out with all of the trash. Find a way to fit in, or perish. That’s our choice going forward. The government will “allow” a certain amount of obstinance, as long as we play by the new rules, over all. Therefore, don’t think of this as a pitch to do not-for-profit stuff. This is about remaining “OFF THE RADAR” of those crafting regulations that have teeth AND consequences for stepping out of bounds.

If you get ANYTHING out of this, it should be the following: The very notion of establishing a purely decentralized market is a utopian concept. It doesn’t work in the grand scheme of things, unless you strive to fit in. Unlike precious metal, which can be physically taken and buried somewhere, our e-coins can be instantly shut off. Even living off the grid, at some point, if you want to receive value for your efforts, you’re going to need to connect online to verify blocks, get paid and what-not. It will be those times when you connect, when a virus would be loaded into your system and wipe you out; effectively, destroying you and your farm. Resist to a point. But, get with the program, or you’re toast.