Software to start mining

Hi guys new here, I just build a small mining rig off old computer parts. What software or link should I use to start mining ethereum ?

I downloaded windows into the rig, do I need an external drive for the mining ?

Please help me out, thank you

3 Likes

Could you let us know a bit more about the rig specs. Thanks

4 Likes

I would use either Claymore or Phoenix miner. Download of the newest miners are here https://www.awesomeminer.com/software-list, just select the miner and follow the links

6 Likes

I am using a btc+ asrock h110, 8GB ram, 2 rx 580 4gb

1 Like

Claymore will work. Nice thins is you basically change the wallet address in the bat file and off to the races you go.

3 Likes

The mining software will run on the same drive as windows. Be sure to let the Windows Defender ALLOW the program to run. It will try to quarantine the executable so restore and allow.

I use Claymore 15.0 and can turn a profit with ETH mining. Similar to comments above, Choose one of many pools, I use 2Miners and Etermine (SSL on Ethermine) , just adjust the batch file to point to the pool of choice with your wallet address. You can also give a Worker Name which helps with multiple rigs.

You can try settings on WattMan for AMD cards to lower power while trying to maintain a good hashrate (which is displayed in the pool URL at your wallet address.)

1 Like

I dont know why it says not enough memory to place dag. is rx 580 4gb too low ?

2 Likes

4gb should work, but won’t after October 2020 due to the change in DAG size of the coin. You may need to mine alternative coins with the 4gb card

1 Like

I think I read it somewhere that my first gpu has enough vram I can still mine after October right ? Meaning only the first GPU needs a higher vram, the subsequent can be 4gb ?

I couldn’t run my 4GB 2050 Super with Claymore. Not enough memory to create DAG buffer.
My 6GB 1660TI’s have no problem. Also I increased Virtual Memory by a lot. 20,000 initial to 40,000 max. I’ve read I should start at 40,000 but don’t think that’s the problem as the 6GB cards work fine.

1 Like

with 4gb card you can mining on nhs as is supporting 4gb cards foe eth, directly mining on claymore some cards not working as latest update have update dag size supporting or mining rvn coin as dag size 2.7gb. you can try phoenix shut still working with 4gb cards

2 Likes

i am using phoenix now, the algorithm started running and showed the hash rate. But when i check on cruxpool, my rig was not recognised. so it doesnt show inactive or active. Any help ? Thank you

1 Like

in crux show rig only after 1 accepted share,crux not show ring active until 1 share accepted, and not show inactive just reported hash ratio start drop to 0. like i say try run nicehash to mining eth or move to rvn or pirl, you just losing money for electric as your card running fully but no shares. forget mining eth with 4 gb cards

1 Like

plus crux not pay nothing 4days 5h need to mining 0.066eth, 2miners 0.0663eth mined in 1d 2h

if so can i stack 4gb cards with 8gb card ?

1 Like

is this for linux or windows, i dunno which OS to run

nicehash is for windows, sell your 4gb and buy properly 8gb dont play as you burn electric for nothing. eth profit is huge right now play with no more supported cards you just lost money,you wanna still mining 4gb move to rvn coin and mining

1 Like

rvn coin sometimes make profit almost same as eth. i have 4x rx580 4gb 2x mining rvn 2x pirl

1 Like

nicehash have new update, you can remove vram limit for 4gb cards and mining

You can still get RX580 8GB cards on Amazon for 170 - 190 per. I just got a couple of rx 5700 XTs on ebay for 390per.

1 Like