Solar powered mining

If VoskCoin or anyone else is looking to mine powered by solar and want advise or assistance just let me know I’ve planned and built multiple solar rigs before and have a B.S. in Electrical Engineer.

1 Like

Is there a way to supplement with solar. I’ve calculated that I’ll need way to many panels for my operation but I haven’t figured out how I can supplement it.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is still an active thread. But, I would be interested. I did a thesis for business school on the feasibility of solar farms back in 2004. At the time, it wasn’t feasible as a business without a LOT of governmental aid. I also have a Mechanical engineering degree.

That said, so much has changed in almost 20 years. I’m interested in buying used solar panels and would welcome your insight.

Thanks

I have run multiple calculations and scenarios trying to figure out how to make a reasonably priced solar system that would run a box miner (225W). The rub is (as everyone likely knows) you must collect 24hrs of run energy in 5hrs of usable daylight and then have an economical place to store the power during the day for use at night. Long story short, it takes ~2.5yrs to ROI the solar system without batteries at my electric price and ~7yrs to ROI the solar system with batteries. This model assumes used solar panel pricing. Solar ROI is worse than the theoretical, initial ROI on most miners…sadly, most miners struggle to ROI at all…

Why not get a grid tied system? Oversize it without batteries and sell your power back to your utility for credits? No batteries to buy and you minimize your costs at the time of day when peak power is most expensive. Then, you pay the lower rates at night.

Think, offset the cost of power versus actually replacement of it.

I’m looking to diy a non grid-tied (standalone, battery backup) system to run a few asic miners.

Is there a quick, down and dirty way to figure out how much output I need from the panels and how to pair the output of the panels to Lifep04 batteries (ie; xx watts output to xx qty batteries)?