Update on immersion cooling

We got pricing from engineered fluids on their new gen 5 tank, pump, dry cooler and bitcool recently and it’s high but I think worth it. It will hold 28 s19’s and the tank is pretty impressive. I’m still going to build my first tanks and dry cooler in house because I want to and have the ability. However when the new building get underway I think I will be ordering tanks from them.

On the immersion tanks. I’m building one from acrylic and one from polycarbonate. 1/2” thick. They will both be smaller. Will only hold 4-6 miners each.

3 Likes

Really interested to hear about your progress. Keep posting and let us all know how it goes. I’m especially interested to hear what you come up with for the tank/setup that will accommodate 4-6 rigs.

Their Gen 5 tank price might be expensive, but you can amortize that cost across the 28 S19’s, which might make it more palatable and could pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time depending on if and the amount by which you can overclock.

I bet Bitcool is ~1/3 the cost of the total setup. Very expensive stuff. I don’t know whether it’s a silicone oil or fluorocarbon-based or something else entirely. Either way, it’s pricey.

I’m only building the setups for the fun of it and to get an early start tinkering. I love to build things and being a mechanical contractor we have the experience. The price for 600 L of bitcool was just shy of $5000. Not cheap but certainly not ridiculous when you were talking about an engineer to synthetic fluid. There’s a huge cost of development that has to be absorbed in the golf of the finished product not to mention manufacturing, regulations and insurance. That’s about 11% of the total cost including the dry cooler and recirculation pump.

2 Likes

I am a total newbie to mining, in fact, still a virgin, waiting on 3 L7’s. I requested a quote from engineered fluids, for the virtually the same setup you described, about a month ago, but no response yet. Would you mind sharing the quoted price for the setup?

1 Like

The system that I got would hold 28 S19‘s. I had originally called about the smaller GEN four system but they’re no longer making it. They only make the single basic set up and the GEN five. The quote that I got included the tank along with all of the adapters for the minors and all of the inserts. It also included 600 L of fluid and a 3 hp Grundfos 240 V recirculation pump. The dry cooler is one that they make Because the leadtime on the one they were using before got to be too long. The system is about $45,000 as I described. It is absolutely first class and it seems to be very well-made from what I have seen in the specs that they sent me online. I would encourage you to keep reaching out to them as it took me more than two weeks to reach someone. They recently moved their business from California to Florida.

2 Likes

What is overclocking?

It’s when you alter the clock rate of a CPU essentially forcing it to undertake more calculations per second than it was designed for, i.e. more processing speed. You do this via the BIOS.

But there’s no free lunch. More processing speed = more heat for a given ASIC design. So for an air-cooled rig, you might not be able to move enough cool air over the heat sinks in order to cool the ASICs adequately. If they overheat, you will either damage them right away or eventually - depending on the degree of overclocking and the margin that the engineers built in to the ASIC specs. But at some point, you’re going to have problems.

With liquid immersion cooling, the ability of the dielectric fluid to pull heat from the heat sinks is vastly improved compared to air cooling. Because the ASICs can run much cooler (assuming your immersion system is properly designed), you can overclock - sometimes very significantly - as the extra heat generated can be pulled away and then some. And overclocking = higher hash rate = more $/day of mining.

Thanks @Zilina this is very interesting

What needs to be done to the machine before submerging it? Liquid and electronics dont usually mix well… I watched a video on youtube of a guy who put it in a fish tank with mineral oil. I was surprised to see the whole thing go in there, fans and all. I think the power supply was the only thing that wasnt submerged.

Just has to be cleaned very good to get dirt and other contaminants out so they don’t get circulated around your system. Mineral oil is not a good idea. It will make any plastic or rubber brittle. You can submerge them because the fluid is dielectric. Basically just means it doesn’t conduct electricity. You can submerge the power supplies as well but you just don’t need to for cooling unless you are seriously over locking the asic. Example. An S19 pro usually runs 110th/s @ 3250 watts. It can be overclocked in immersion to 170th/s @ 6600 watts. With a little tweek to the power supply and with the power supply also in immersion. Then you also need a 40a breaker.

Just wanted to point out that you efficiency drops if you overclock and run 170 at 6600W. So unless your electricity is free it wouldn’t make any sense.

Hello guys, thanks for information provided I am planning to play around with immersion cooling in future. I have one S17 Pro dedicated for experiments so if it will be still alive when I will have time to play with it I will test it for sure. Honestly I have not started yet to do proper homework and see how to calculate things but if you have some good sources which could help to understand it better help to calculate liquid volume for kW burned + related cooling system) I would appreciate. Maybe it is easier to ask some professionals to do it and I might do so in any case but I also like to understand things I am operating :slight_smile:

Good to know about the efficiency dropping. I spoke with ASIC.to yesterday at length and was amazed at what they have been able to do. They have had an S19pro at over 200th/s in immersion testing. Evidently Marc and/or his company wrote the first overclocking firmware for ASICS years ago.

1 Like