What apps should I use for my laptop?

What app should I use for mining on my Intel Core i5-5300U laptop it has 2 cores, 4 threads, and no GPU, other than intergrated

2 Likes

It’s not really worth the 40 cents you might make per month.

2 Likes

Don’t mine with your laptop, it’s not worth it.

2 Likes

Assuming this laptop is old and extra. You “will” kill it in short time due to over-heating.
So lets assume it’s an old junker, that you will place it in front of a giant box fan.

CPU mining is rather limited to a few types of crypto mining. Since you’re asking, I recommend you start with XMR Monero. You can google Monero and get the mining programs from the main website (getmonero .org). MinotarX is a popular algorithm right now for CPU mining, maybe look into that and the programs associated with.

But please head the warning from the other commenter and myself. Be very cautious to not kill/destroy a good laptop. There is a lot of other types of mining that will not kill the computer, such as node hosting for various coin and token networks/projects.

An extra computer , in crypto trading, is invaluable. To have a second Comp opened to CoinMarketCap or a specific crypto’s market timeline, so you don’t lag your trading computer is kind of worth keeping a laptop in good health.

1 Like

It does have an UHD GPU, thats only baked in the GPU, plus, I thought about USB asics instead now

usb asics are a waste of money.

2 Likes

Gpu mining is not profitable unless you have very very very cheap electric. Also usb sticks will not even mine 1 cent worth of coins a day.

1 Like

I concur with the other 2 here. A usb miner is outdated as of 2017,18 or 19.

I’m not exactly recommending this, but maybe. https://www.mysterium.network/ That is an example of node mining. Your laptop might be able to handle that and actually profit.

1 Like

Oh come on Krisz , they totally make 2 cents a day :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

.4-.6 DGB every 4 hours.

1 Like

Good idea, I was going to “disk mine” on my old dell 390, but it’s HDDs are 80GB (74.5 GiB), so I will node mine on itq

2 Likes

Good luck with that, and please give us some updates on how it is going.

1 Like

Hi Guys, I am new to the node hosting, can anyone help by explaining what exactly is node hosting?
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Every network has their own unique setup so I’ll try to give a general/generic run down.

First off, This is Tokens only, not coins.
Coins and Tokens have entirely different blockchains, functions and way they store/use value.
Coins are given value by miner cost to produce.
Tokens are like the US dollar, given value through lies, shenanigans, Trust me Bro’s and Banks/Governments.

So first off, lets not get confused between Liquidity mining and Node mining. They do go hand in hand and often are next to each other.

LQ or Liquidity mining would be hosting a node (or smart contract or EVM or …endless options) on the node, you provide it with actual crypto to provide to traders and transfers (aka Liquidity) that are going into and out of the node. Doing this makes the networks a smidge faster and allows you to tax or add fee’s. So in theory an LQ pool will profit for you per transaction.

Node mining is running a network blockchain connection on the open web with the idea of being a part of that blockchain network and processing transactions. Some Token Networks have it setup so that random people host the nodes globally. For doing this they get paid. Since a token network does not give real rewards like BTC or Coins, token networks instead tax the tokens that pass by them (aka Usury).

Node mining is extremely variable. Depends on the token or network. THORchain (my favorite) cost about 160 million dollars to open a node (last time I checked the price). The high fee is a trust builder. The person who pays that fee is least likely to skim tokens. On THORchain skimming is possible, but that option is open to encourage new tech added to their blockchain network.

On Cardano a node has very little access to valuable Tokens. Cardano uses the Node System for new token creation and NFT generation.

So to simplify this. You would host a node and record the entire blockchain in live/real-time. To which the global network would use your program to Check/Balance (each block) the entire Blockchain Network. You and the other Node Volenteers. For doing this, the controlling faction (the creator of the tokens) will pay you a set amount per volume/data your Node contains.

So this very much starts to look like the mining we know. We run the node and slowly small payments start showing up. If you Node Host forever, the payments keep comming.

For coins (like BTC) Satoshi created the wallet to be the Node. Called a CLI wallet (command Line Interface) and the miners to do the work. So for BTC the payment for hosting a node is the ability to create/hold/make BTC wallets on your CLI/node program. Being that tokens have artificial value, they had to swap value to coax people into running the node, you do not need a Node to create token wallets, but the system needs nodes to function.

I hope I’m not too confusing. I am the crazy crypto guy. pro’s and con’s to getting my opinion. hehe
Cheers Mate. if I can answer more, please feel free to ask.

1 Like

Ok, are you a node hosting? How do I host a node? What equipment specifications do I need?

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Personally , I do not node-mine . I’m a BTC-Maxi , so I’m not exactly kosh with supporting token based usury against the very people and world I hope to free from fiat based tyranny.
hehehe

But with that said, you already have the gear, your computer. Different nodes will have different requirements for allocated disk space and usage. Maybe 25 GB or maybe 4 TB, depending on the network. Mysterium is a just hot and popping right now. Lots of Vosk users are pro or con about them. Any news is good. (unless they turn out to be a scam, but that does not seem to be the case, yet)

Like with most mining. The Rig (your computer) will become semi-dedicated , meaning the CPU will be used to the max and you can’t really do much else besides letting the node run.
Let me add also, what I said above is “sometimes”. Maybe you have an ultra-computer that can handle multiple task. (like a 64 core CPU, most CPU’s are 2-8 cores)

A node program will allow you set/dictate the amount of cores your CPU uses for the node.

Truly it all sounds confusing, but it’s not too bad. Connecting your first ASIC is just as confusing. And like with most crypto stuff, once you start swimming , you start surfing real fast. 2 weeks from now, you might be the Vosk communities Go-To guy for mysterium questions.

We do have a super cool member who is into Mysterium here. I’ll wait for them to chime in. (I’ll message him and ask him to chime in)

Let me also add, getting Node tech help is tricky as asking for the help and showing screen shots and #'s might expose you. So once you fire up a Mysterium Node, kind of delegate how you get help, part Mysterium tech support, part users side.

1 Like

The Mysterium network doesn’t take a lot of hardware requirements. Basically a computer (Windows, Linux, Mac) and about 1 GB of RAM.
The biggest factor is going to be your internet connection speed and the stability of that connection.
I believe it only needs a single core of your CPU. (I’ve also started up a PreSearch node on the same computer which also requires a core of the CPU and both are running without a problem.)
I run my Mysterium node on a spare computer I had sitting around. For me personally I did limit the amount of bandwidth the node could use to 100 Mbs. I currently have a 200 Mbs service however as a photographer, I keep a limit on the amount of bandwidth the Mysterium node can use so I can run my personal items more effectively.
Currently I earn about 4 - 8 MYST a week (after they take their 20% fee). This really comes down to how stable your connection is, bandwidth available, and the number of Mysterium users that are using your supplied bandwidth.
I’m still in early review of the node and have only had it up for a couple of weeks. With the current value of MYST, 4 - 8 tokens a week may not seem like a lot for a node. However it’s earning more than it burns. I’m also playing the long game and factoring in that we’re still in a bear market. So if the price of MYST goes back up to over a $1 (last bull cycle it reached $1.29), then it can be a decent investment for spare equipment.
Plus by running the Presearch node off of the same machine, I’m still adding more value for essentially the same electricity usage.
Presearch has a low entry point for setting up a node to allow even more passive income on the same device. (Depending on the specs of your laptop of course.) With Presearch though, I have less information so far. Only set up the node a little while ago so have very insight to running that node so far.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for ur help. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Ok, how do u get paid? I do have a laptop that is on the shelf, how do I start?

1 Like

One thing I forgot to mention. You should have at least a 50 Mbps internet connection.

You need to have Metamask set up and have it linked to the Polygon Mainnet. The Mysterium node pays the MYST on the Polygon network.

Here is the instructions from Mysterium:

Here is a YouTube video that I found helpful:

2 Likes

Great thanks a lot for your help. Have a wonderful day :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes