What’s your mining strategy

What’s everyone’s mining strategy? Solar? Mining until the coin pumps and sell the miner? Hooking your water cooled miner to your hot water system? What ever it is I want to hear it

I’ll go first

I’ve bought 10 S19 pro hashboards, broken, for $400 to fix. One board is stripped for parts and used to fix the others. These boards came from a farm in the US that didn’t get much TLC so it’s been a work in process. Many of these boards are missing capacitors and resistors, or burnt out MOS tubes. When ever something should work I always find another piece missing.

I’m hoping to fix them all and underclock them for 20 watts/T at above 200T combined. I think if I want this done properly I will need to buy an ultrasonic hashboard cleaner for about $300

So what’s your strategy?

just got 2 al0s that i have hosted off site last week which both keep shutting down and the hoster only goes to the warehouse every other day, they are mining on nicehack for the bitcorns. i have some gpus mining clore, some mining xelis and autoswitching on unminable to kaspa. was thinking about switching some to aleo, but not sure about it yet since the chain seems to be as about as annoying as kadena with multiple coins to run its ecosystem (yes i know its not the same but its still annoying).

but right now im just mining some main ones with some light trading to beef up my magical internet money. still trying my hardest not to sell any of it, last sold some about a month ago but that was planned. but with inflation going crazy improbably gonna goin to have to dip into it.

2 Likes

I obsessively count everything every day from the machines that are turned on. S19’s are off. All the ETHash machines are on. Flipped the KS0’s to solo to a local node after I heard Red Panda crying about having 100+ ms latency to the pool. I’m pretty happy if I can get 170ms latency to the pool as there are none in NZ. I had always tried to never use the most populated pool, but HeroMiners have AU pools that are the lowest latency I can get - so they are my new best friends. Always wondered why I never seemed to get what I should at the pools. Even then, a local solo node will be closer for the KS0’s, so I worked out how to do that without them crashing. I got the stratum-ping tool and now that is how I pick a pool.
I put all the daily earnings in a sheet, which at the end of the month I use to cash out around 40% of whatever I’ve mined. I started doing this to DCA Out of the risky spec mines. I have quite a lot of worthless LBRY hanging around I should have sold when it was worth something. But I sold all my MWC ages ago and shouldn’t have. So now I sell some and keep some. The stuff I sell might go to Fiat for the power bill, or it might go to BTC for holding long term. I just don’t want to be holding lots of something that collapses, but don’t want to sell it all in case it moons.
I’m still buying GPUs (CMP170 or CMP110) now an then as I love the flexibility of GPUs. I’m still buying small ASIC’s and getting wrecked faster than planned (KS0Pro, AL0). I always planned for them to drop fast, but not as fast as they have. So once the RX0 arrives, I’ll try not to buy any more asics till the X44 or the Hashblade show up. Those are mature enough to not fall over so fast when the new devices ship. I’d love to have the S19’s on, but power costs too much and my solar hardly makes a dent in the power I use.

3 Likes

Bitcoin mining is getting difficult and with difficulty basically doubling every year it doesn’t make sense from a buy btc to make more btc perspective unless the machine will ROI in under 150 days which is nearly impossible unless you have free electricity, which is only older gen models.
The only other thing I can think of is the S21 price has held up well, if you bought first batch and sold it now you might end up with more btc then what you paid for it. So does anyone here do that Ila’s a strategy, mine and sell the miner to ensure ROI against difficulty?

The market for 2nd hand ASIC’s in NZ is near non existent, and it costs way too much to ship from here. So I figure I’ll probably never sell one I don’t use. They will arrive here to eventually die as e-waste. Shame that only seems to take a couple of months these days…

1 Like

Yeah, looking at local aus used miner prices on ebay is laughable, saw a 90T at a fair price, read the description and it says “not working” I think those in the US are in a much better position to buy/sell miners second hand