Windows latest update interfering with gpu mining

I needed to shut down my gaming/mining pc yesterday. Windows initiated an update upon shit down. When turned back on the repair blue screen of death appeared. Doing a hard boot brought back normal activity except for the 1660 gou on a riser. It was flashing its rgb LEDs with no fan movement and not showing up on cudominer. This am blue screen keeps appearing after a few minutes or operation. I disconnected the 1660. No improvement.

???

What version of windows are you using? 10 or 11?

Might need to update or reinstall drivers for the riser and the GPU. I am not sure if riser cards need or normally have drivers but given how the connect I could see that being a potential problem.

Personally I would strip it to the bare minimum and concentration getting the bare system running. If you have a win 10 system then boot it into repair mode and choose to restore it to a earlier point, i.e before the update. That way you can get the system back and running using the onboard graphics card and then run a manual windows update. If it works ok add the graphics card back in and go from there.

Is the motherboard bios up to date and like the previous poster suggested update the graphics card drivers.

Good luck

As the others have noted you may have had data corrupted during the windows update and will have to remove all of your mining related drivers, except integrated graphics because you would need that to troubleshoot the cards.

Then you can install each card one by one powering down the whole system including PSU and rebooting, checking device manager to make sure the cards switch from their generic driver to their respective driver.

If all cards function properly you should be able to power the system on and see all video drivers replace themselves in device manager at once as the proper drivers are selected automatically in windows (it may take time).

The only thing that stopped this from happening every day and me not taking a sledge hammer to the rig was setting my active time for windows update to always by using the 12AM-12PM setting.

Running W 10. When 8 first set up the computer I had a tech install Nvidia driver. Nice hash didn’t like that driver or my P104 or 1080 cards. So I tried cudominer. Worked right out the gate with 2 1080s internal and 2 P104s + 1 1660 on a 4 place pcie to usb expansion card.

Then windows updated and the 4 place pcie card would no longer work. So I just plugged the 1660 in to the pcie via a riser and single pcie to usb card. Worked fine till last night.

I unplugged the 1660 leaving the 2 1080s in the case. Blue recovery screen. Just a few minutes ago my wife tried working on it. It went into an endless do loop booting up then turning off. She then deleted reboot on error or something to that effect. Now blue screen again.

Back up data nd make copys and note of any configurations you have then do a clean fresh install of Windows 10 and installing all the drivers, tools, and apps you need. Then restore data and configurations I believe the problem may stem from this seeming to have been done via an in place upgrade from Windows 8 to 10. It sounds like the devices and drivers were kind of hacked on given how it has broken and the description of how it came into place originally.

I would also suggest making windows updates a manual process and just set yourself a schedule to go in shut down everything and run updates once a month minimum but once a week if you can.

Dealing with those Windows updates can be a real rollercoaster, especially when they mess with something as important as GPU mining. Hey, speaking of Windows, have you ever considered checking out cheap windows keys? I stumbled upon this awesome resource recently, and it might just be the solution you need. Reasonable prices and solid options could definitely make your mining setup even smoother.

DriverBooster utility from download.com maybe?

And maybe Advanced System Care free utility from Download.com

Is the blue screen giving any kind of error description / error number? You may be able to “Google” the error number etc

Hope this is helpful…

What is that link?? :eyes: “download. com” is NOT where you get driver booster @killtheplanet can you take this down?