ASIC Mining in the Texas Heat- HELP!

I helped a friend reduce the heat of his 10 s19’s, by placing them 3 ft from the wall at a 30 degree angle to get air moving circularly in the room with additional fans. Knocked 5 degrees off the room temp. stopped the overheat warnings.

1 Like

I would do a 6’x5’ hot room in the corner. If you are planning to add more miners, you can extend the hot room the full width of the building. 5’ deep should give you plenty of room to do work in there if necessary.

With a 6’x8’ rack with 16" spaced shelves you can easily fit 30 miners and possibly up to 45 depending on what they are.

Your exhaust fan is good for now, but if you add more S19’S, L7’s, etc you will need to add another.

I would get filters for the 20" intake vents if you can. Try to find washable filters.

5 Likes

Also, what would cause these hardware issues?

This S19 has been running for 38 minutes.

Not really sure. Could have been temps. I would do the most recent firmware update and see if it happens again once you get some cooler intake air.

I’m pretty much saying similar to other comments. Limit the area your 6000 BTU A/C has to work with. A split unit is an enclosed air unit, to use an exhaust fan in this setup is counter-thermal.

Let me post a crazy hypothetical. What if you made the room 4ft H x 3ft D x 10ft L , then hook the A/C to that room. No exhaust. The electricity you save not running the exhaust can be allocated to run the A/C 24/7 on eco mode. Then take that little room and wrap it in insolation, taking special care to insulate the flooring, as cold goes down, to help conserve your cooling effect.

You wouldn’t have a walk-in fridge for a gallon of milk. Miners don’t need “fresh-air” they only need climate controlled temp/humidity. So to limit the volume of air to be cooled is the most efficient.

Of course the real answer is : go underground. While building a underground facility may seem expensive and crazy. Over time is becomes the absolute most viable method. I chose the desert for the sun/wind/energy. Underground was the only logical solution I came up with. I ended up burying an international freight carrier that we wielded steal supports into for structure/strength. The cooling savings 100% offset the cost of building, and changed the facility into being “too cool” which is an easy answer, too cool = get more gear. Rent a Bobcat (2K for the weekend) , Buy a freight container (2K, delivered), electrician (couple K’s) and maybe a contractor (or qualified person) to build the wood stairs into the box. If you want to go next step add Mylar and lead/copper chunks into the back fill, so your crypto survives the nuclear war.

2 Likes

Seems like a of pointless responses to your post. Sorry about that. Hopefully you managed to figure it out friend

I design and print ducts/shrouds for ASIC miners
I have designed and 3d printed these since 2018. until this year sold 100% on eBay, now have own website, sell on amazon and eBay.
Can design custom mods if needed
3dps4u.com
sales@3dps4u.com
254-630-0308

1 Like

Did a little redesign for the short term.

Not nearly as clean with being able to hide cables behind a work bench, but it seems to help with cooling, so we will roll with this until morning.

3 Likes

Looks great, very nice setup.

1 Like

It looks better set up there in your shed than against the wall. I hope it did well for you overnight and the heat concerns have dissipated!

@Niceface did you build this shed?

@cryptominernv
How are those shrouds working out?

shrouds work flawlessly. Thank you

1 Like

No, we bought this pre-built and had it moved to our ranch. Much faster than waiting 6-10 weeks to have one built. It’s not perfect by any means, but it works as a shop/mining shed in the interim while we are figuring out our next move.

3 Likes

I’m here in tx as well, only have 6 ASICS. If the exhaust is routed immediately to the exhaust unit, the inlets of the miners will get much less preheated air to the intakes. I have seen people do this with flexible or rigid ducting. Venting it directly to the exhaust fan or just parking the miners directly in front of the fan would increase miner reliability. If stacking miners just use paint stir stick spacers to reduce miner to miner heat soak.
A fan, like a pump is weakest at the inlet, so running slight positive pressure never hurts imho.
So slightly more inbound cfm would be a wiser use of power. You’re putting out over 35kw of heat, with fans that can liquidate the room air in less than a minute, so it seems the ac unit is like pissing on a forest fire.
I’m envious of your setup, its a hodler’s dream.

1 Like

Update:

Rethought my whole process of heat distribution. Today began the remodel.

Tore down the old wooden work bench

Started building a wall behind the miners to make the climate controlled room much smaller. Gotta finish the gable part tomorrow.

I’ll add 8" insulated air ducts to the back of the miners that will pass thru the wall into the garage to be sucked out by the exhaust fan.

Stay tuned…

3 Likes

Looks good, and should work well. In the coming weeks I will be building a smaller version of a wind tunnel/sound box. I am taking pointers from anyone I can on this forum. Right now I am in the over-analyzing stage.

1 Like

Did the same sort of thing and it worked out well