Immersion Cooling 4-6 S19 or Similar Units

I have recently begun a new mining venture and am ASIC mining. Not my preference, but it’s another adventure to say the least. I have 4 units now and I got them knowing I wanted to immersion cool. I don’t want this to become a cost debate of air cooling vs immersion cooling. I do have costs in mind, however I have a LONG term vision in mind as well. Immersion will pay for itself in time due to how I would like to use it for heat reclamation purposes and to keep things quiet.

Why do I want to do immersion cooling:

• It would allow me to utilize the heat from the miners very effectively (hot water for the house, heat for the house, hot tub, heated walks to keep snow melted, in floor heating in any new expansion, and a myriad of other possibilities in the future as I think of them).

• Noise: This one seems obvious and anyone that has these can relate

• Miner Longevity: The word on the street is the miners should see a longer life cycle with respect to hardware failure, proof anyone? I would like to find someone that works at an immersion mining facility to confirm this.

• Maintenance: I always like to keep my equipment clean, so I wouldn’t have to take the miners apart and clean them except for when they went into the tanks for the first time. There could be additional maintenance with the immersion and heat reclamation system though. This might end up being a wash.

*Overclocking: I wouldn’t go crazy with this, but it would be nice to be able to do some overclocking when/if it makes sense. I would be able to overclock with more stability and less likely be prone to hardware failure due to the immersion cooling.

My general heat reclamation plan:
Immersion Cool tank with a dual loop. The dual loop will allow me to transfer heat to other things and then lastly through the dry cooler at the end to make sure the coolant is sufficiently cold. This is what a very very rough system might look like linearly.

Miners’ hot oil → heat exchanger → glycol or similar mix → 120G water heat storage tank → any other items I want to heat → dry cooler → Miner tank cold input

This is very one dimensional, but you get the idea. The water heat storage tank will feed a hot water tank in the house to supply already heated water to the hot water tank. This basically makes the hot water tank hardly have to work at all except to maintain the temp. Looking at cost. I have two hot water tanks and they state about $500 a year to operate. Let’s just say that’s what it is. This could effectively save $700-1000 a year in hot, not to mention I would have AMPLE hot water with a 120G reserve tank. I would actually eliminate one tank too and keep it as a backup, giving me 160G of hot water as opposed to the original 80 (2 x 40).

I don’t want to get into details too much at this juncture. Where I struggle is to pick an immersion system. I have been reading and researching for several months. I want to go with a system that is already designed and basically ready to go out of the box with a dry cooler. I will work in heat reclamation after I am up and running because this will take time.

I originally saw the octotank12 that octominer is releasing and I was quite excited about this. Upon doing more research and thinking of the design, I figured it would be better to have a single larger unit. I then looked at foghashing’s setups, single and double (C1 and C2).
Reasoning:

• There would be less moving parts and maintenance (negative is if it goes down the whole operations stops)

• In the summer I can leave the unit in the garage where the heat from the tank is not a problem.

• If I had individual tanks like the octotank, I would have to move them outside (octotank is rated for outdoors). I estimated the octotank would weigh in around 300lbs with an S19 and fluid. Not to mention the fluid would be sloshing everywhere while moving.

• Easier to expand when/if I want to add another miner or two. Pretty much no additional cost or work.

I don’t want to bash on any tanks that I have found or companies, but I will mostly say that I wasn’t keen on a particular tank and why. My reasoning could be wrong and please correct me if you think so.

• Fog hashing B6D or B6. The B6D (3 phase dry cooler and can be run on 240v single phase) is a single loop, won’t work. About $6500 delivered to the US with fluid. The B6 is more or less a tank and then they add on what you want. I can get a dry cooler and heat exchanger for a dual loop with fluid, however I have to source/figure out my own pump for the second loop. This was configured all for 240v single phase. A little less than $7k.
    Immersion mining home mining – FogHashing

• DCX. I don’t know, I have heard some mixed things on this and when I ask questions I mostly get told to look at the website which doesn’t have what I’m inquiring about. I’m not too hot on this setup.
    https://cryptocooling.eu/#tab-1660549643698-2

• Box Technology: I didn’t scour this as much as the others, however they utilize a cooling tower vs a dry cooler. It could be a great system, but it doesn’t fit the needs as far as I can see.
    40KW Immersion Cooling BOX - BoxTechy

• FlameIT. Great responsiveness and knowledge. He is really just building 12 unit tanks and larger now, I think. He has a couple older tanks that are up for grabs. Kind of expensive for what his tank is IMO. Probably close to 6k delivered with fluid with no pdus or breakers etc… Just a tank, exchanger, pumps, and fluid. He is developing some great stuff though and I will continue to follow him.
    Edit: He does have smaller tanks as well and from my understanding his newer tanks will incorporate the electrical to run miners.
    https://flameit.io/

• Aiproenergy: hotbox liu plus - interesting concept, but not for me. It is a pumpless oil system where the fans on the miners are responsible for circulating the fluid. It just seems like more to go wrong IMO and the system wouldn’t be flexible. It does have a dual loop for cooling the oil. You have to have aftermarket firmware too in order to control the fans.
    HOTBOX LIU Plus allows stable overclocking of Antminer S19 from stock 3250W to 6500W

• Apexto: This one looks decent as well and looks quite similar to what I’ll show next. I have not dug into this tank/system much.

• Asicshield/cryptomininglab: ASX6 - Some of the options I’ve shown so far have “bells and whistles” that I’m not really certain are necessary for a home setup where you might have one or two of these tanks. Most notably foghashing in this category. I have spend the most time looking at foghashing and asicsheld. The asicshield IMO might be the sweet spot. It is simple yet, I think, going to be very effective. From what I can tell the exchanger is larger than most tanks, the pump is quite large for the water loop, it has temp shutdown based on oil temp, and an oil filter before the oil goes into the oil pump from the tank. I have not seen this on other tanks. It is removable and can be cleaned. The bottom flow plate can easily be removed and if you need to make a different one then you just get one CNC cut at a local place. Most other machines the flow plate can not be removed very easily or at all. His support and responsiveness has been great. He is probably sick and tired of talking to me. He can supply immersion fluid as well with this system. The system looks good and I do like that there is a lid that you can see through. I think with the simplicity of the system there is less to fail. I think the pdu plugs on the back leave something to be desired, but perhaps I can get those changed. Pricing is on par with most other units.
    https://www.asicshield.com/product-page/asic-shield-asx6-immersion-coolingfor-crypto-mining

I have very heavily looked over the asicshield, octotank12, and B6/D setups. Most of the others had something immediately that I didn’t like or they didn’t work for me. It was also important to be able to change the immersion flow plate. I can see a lot of these mining companies releasing specifically immersion cooled units just like whatsminer/microbt just did. If you have a tank build specifically for the current S19 and you can’t change it then you’re SOL.

PLEASE let me know your thoughts, opinions, experience etc… If you have another tank you would suggest, feel free to let me know and I’ll look at it.

Edit: I am not affiliated nor do I receive anything from these companies.

3 Likes

Asicshield looks like your best bet. Bigger pump and the additional features. Can’t wait to see this all come together. I’m going to use you as a Guinea pig to see if I could possibly heat my pool year round with your set up!

1 Like

I guarantee that you can! My only other concern really at this very moment is whose immersion fluid to use. All of these places provide their own immersion fluid. Alternately, you can go with bitcool or other places that claim to “make their own” fluid. The question begs, do you pay 2x as much for bitcool or are the other solutions just as good or better and half the price?

I think while I research and think on this that I will begin making a more complete rough draft of the heat reclamation system. Once I get it mostly drawn on paper I will probably draw it up on autocad or a similar program.

Again, if anyone as experience, opinions, suggestions then PLEASE throw them this way.

1 Like

One other thing that I have been back and forth on a lot of times is the cooling fluid. Most of these companies offer their “Own Fluid”, however I have hesitation with that. It is very tempting because it is definitely cheaper, even shipped from china or wherever overseas. I think, not with definitive proof, that most are either user “mineral oil” or “transformer oil”. This is most definitely not an area of expertise for me, however it may be worth paying 50% more or so for “Bitcool 888” to ensure success.

If anyone has unbiased experience or knowledge on this, please share.

1 Like

I have settled on a unit. I ended up going with the “Asic Shield” ASX6. I just sent off the wire today for it. It was all a very hard decision to make, but a decision had to be made. I’d imagine it will land here in about a month. Once I can get caught up on some things I’ll start a more “professional” design on paper for the heat reclamation system.

Once I get the system and have a chance to give a good look and start setting it up then I will order up some bitcool (BC-888). I like to take one step at a time.

One of the other things that drew me to BC-888 was that it is “non-toxic”. I’m not saying to drink it, but if you’re utilizing a heat reclamation system that could potentially come in contact with drinking or bathing water then you definitely don’t want something toxic in the heat exchanger. If the system is in place long enough it will eventually fail. I will be using a non-toxic “glycol” mix for the water side of the heat exchanger as well. The odds of the immersion fluid getting into the drinking water in this scenario is next to zero, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

1 Like

Hello @live4soccer7, Paweł, CEO of FlameIT - Immersion Cooling here.

First of all, thank You for nice review and well done for doing great job (research).

I would like to write something about our liquid. It’s not “mineral oil” nor “transformer oil”. When we have started our journey with immersion, back in 2018, our key point was to have a product that will be:

• first of all, safe to human
  • safe for electronics
  • low viscosity
  • good thermal conductivity
  • free from sulphur, nitrogen and aromatics
  • liquid has to have best oxidation and thermal stability
  • non-evaporating
  • long lasting

We have tested mineral oils (HotPots #2 bąble - YouTube - april 2018 and our FIRST of FIRSTs proof of concept tanks - check how low viscosity this mineral oil has). We have stoped using mineral oils after that test (after 2 month cables got almost ROCK HARD and this oil has really high viscosity, I don’t remember if we even checkd thermal conductivity). That liquid, which we have learned later, was not that great in reagrds of thermal and oxidation stability and had some other issues like water content inside.

Historical moment: First immersion [mineral oil, DO NOT USE IT]: FlameIT: January 2018 Febru HotPots #1 - pierwsze uruchomienie/first ever prototype - YouTube

Over they years, we have made really good reasearch about what we can use in our solutions. We have tested some of products and what is most important we have found a chemical plant that we are working with and that is delivering us our FITCool products. Those are IV group oils (best performance), fully synthetic products. In terms of performance our products are AT the moment (and with our best knowladge), best of the best in the world: Immersion cooling liquid

Our liquid in action: FlameIT - Immersion Cooling - FITCool6 liquid in action - YouTube

FITCool6:

• Kinematic Viscosity @40oC : 6 cSt (we can lower that value way below 4 cSt but there are some cons to do so)
  • Thermal Conductivity @ 40°C: 0,142 W/m*K (how fast liquid can take and give heat, important when calculating heat exchangers and basically fluid performance)
  • no water content at all: our liquid at -25 oC FlameIT - Immersion Cooling liquid in -25°C - YouTube [I am aware it’s not a labolatory]

Talking about labolatory: Chemical plant we are working with is giving us an option to send samples to them. They will for us do proper, long term material compatibility tests if needed using industry standards.

If You find anything better please let me know!

We always test things on ourselves first. If we test anything at the client’s, he is always INFORMED about it.

One more, super important thing, which most of companies won’t tell You about, is material compatbility. EF made really great move in that matter and I really love it. There is no liquid that will be compatible with every material. You always have to keep that in mind!

Because of above we have excluded:

• 3M liquids (BTW 3M a month ago stopped producing them…) - they are super expensive to buy and they evaporate (tank construction issues), but they are SUPERB in terms of removing heat
  • we never even tried transformer oils (cause cancer) but they are cheap to buy and have quite good parameteres (let’s say quite acceptable)

Electrical/electronical side of our products: We are designing also our own PCB to control and monitoring our tanks:

FameIT - AC Mains and Zero Crossing Detector at work: FlameIT AC Mains and Zero Crossing Detector - frequency testing - YouTube

To sum up and going to point:

• we are doing tailor made solutions (just tell us You needs)
  • we do include brakers in our products :wink:
  • next gen tanks will have PDUs included
  • we always try to keep our clients educated as much as possible to they know what they are doing
  • we have in our offer: 2 / 4 and bigger ASIC tanks (tailor-made - remember) | GPU dedicated tanks

I will be happy to hear Your feedback on tank You have bought. Good luck.

Have a good day, Paweł

1 Like

The immersion system has shipped. Just awaiting arrival now. I came up with another idea to possible cool the immersion fluid without a dry cooler. It’ll have to be a wait and see how it all works situation, but I already plan on having a 120 gallon hot water storage tank to cool the immersion fluid and then provide the house with hot water to feed the traditional hot water tank/heater. I’m on a well, so the cost of water is negligible in the scheme of things and really this wouldn’t use a whole lot of water anyways (I don’t think). I could simply have a temperature probe on the hot water storage tank and if the temp exceeds a threshold then I could have it dump the water outside into a pond nearby and then cold well water will enter the storage tank. I someone don’t expect that too happen to often, but again I’d have to just wait and see how quickly that 120G tank heats.

I am hoping to get the immersion system either late this week or next week.

1 Like

Good news! The immersion system is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! I’ll post some pics once I have it on hand. Once I can take a look at it then I’ll order up the immersion fluid and while I’m waiting for that to arrive I will get to work on installation. Initially there will be no heat reclamation. Summer is coming, so it’s not terribly important or necessary. This will get me going and get these damn miners out of my living spaces so I can regain my sanity. Also, it gets rid of heat in places I don’t need it right now.

3 Likes

The system has landed! So, I can vouch for the fact that asicshield/cryptomininglab will deliver your product. ha. I’ll post up more pictures as I actually unpack this thing.

3 Likes

Here are some more pics. There are definitely some differences so far from the advertised pages of the product.

Let me know if anyone wants to see more pics or has a question and I can give some more info.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Keep us updated mate looks pretty slick! Am interested in following

Will do. I’ll be getting an opinion on the wiring from a friend that is an electrician for a living and is used to dealing with things much larger and more complicated than this. I’m curious, from a safety standpoint.

I was able to work on it a little today. I got the casters on and had a chance to look at everything else and dry fit the fittings just to see where they all go. Most of the items are stainless, which is nice. The dry cooler IS copper tubing style. I should have double checked this before buying. This is what it needs to be though due to the possibility of galvanic reaction/corrosion due to dissimilar metals between an aluminum core radiator and the brazed copper heat exchanger. This would become an issue after some time, but an issue nonetheless.

The depth of usable area in the tank is just shy of 16", which an s19 without fans is about 12" when oriented the proper way to fit into an immersion system. This leaves lots of headway for different models or brands in the future. I hope to mine for the next 10yrs (more if it makes sense). I am in the belief that it will become so commercialized that it will in no way be profitable for a “resident” to mine BTC unless you have extra solar power you are trying to use or lose and also utilizing a heat reclamation system. Keep in mind, it takes a TON of solar to run one of these around the clock.

A lot of the plugs are a different style than we are used to. I’m not a big fan of that. I’m still working through a few things on how it was wired and checking wire sizes etc… for everything including the individual plugs on the back that power each miner.

The splitter cables provided are 1.5mm2 (15-16 gauge) and then split to two .75mm2 (18-19 gauge) according to this chart: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/AWG%20to%20Metric%20Conversion%20Chart.pdf

The cable is marked lian li and the single side is marked 16A and each split end is marked 10A. Let’s say the cap is 16A then 16 x .8 = 12.8A. Will it work based on what it says, yes. Am I thrilled with those numbers, no. Will I do something different, maybe. With fans, my s19xp units (134th version) will pull around 13A at 240V when they are HOT. Typically they pull 11.9-12.4A. I would think in the fluid without any fans they will pull 11-11.5 each.

I wish the plugs on the back side were simply C19/20 plugs and then a C19/20 to C13/14 splitter for the antminers. I may look into changing these out and the breakers on the back side.

I may even rip out all the wiring/breakers and build an external box to mount on the wall. We will see… I’ll see what my friend says about the electrical work inside this thing.

The electrical is relatively cheap, so it’s not that big of a deal IMO.

Another thought. The videos I saw showed a larger heat exchanger as well. I can’t recall, but somewhere between 18-23kg. The one in there is 13kg, which is a bit smaller than competitors which seems to be around the 18kg mark. One thing it does do is have 1.5" hose AND fittings for it. I think they’re simply pushing more flow through it.

Regardless of my “nit picking”, I am overall happy with the unit at this point. More to come as I dig further into it.

2 Likes

Looking a little more on the wire sizes, the wire that goes between the main breaker and the contactor on this unit is only a 32mm2 wire, which is slightly smaller than a 2 gauge (almost 2 gauge). That rated for roughly 100A. The equivalent is basically run to the smaller breakers on the back of this unit where they have built the “PDU”. With that said, the electrical is setup for no more than 100A. With the 80% rule set that would leave 80A continuous. That’s 13.33A per machine if you fill it with 6 machines. I only have 4 machines, so that won’t be a problem. The electrical is a little disappointing IMO. Down the road I may look at a different setup for electrical on the whole thing. At this juncture, I’m still happy with the flexibility the unit is able to provide.

2 Likes

A small update on the progress. I poured the concrete pad for the dry cooler to sit on last night. Nothing special, but it should do the job. About 600lbs of concrete. There will be 2ft between the dry cooler and the house to allow for air flow. There should probably be a little more, but I think it will be just fine. I’ll let that cure until around the end of the week and pull the forms and get it cleaned up around it.

nt

4 Likes

I got the fluid, cleaner, etc… ordered up from Ryan Hawkins with rite-grp. Their product is “TerraCool”. I have talked with several people in the “Immersion Cooling” telegram that are using his product and are happy with it. I expect it will probably be here in about 2 weeks.

I was able to get a little more done this week. I removed the forms and cleaned up a little around the concrete pad. I’ll eventually gravel around this area, but that’s not a priority right now. The other thing that I wasn’t really looking forward to was finding a decent way to get the water lines through the house. I had some 2" conduit left over from the solar project and I thought just maybe the 1.5" line would fit through this. It fit perfectly. I went ahead and use that as a passage way through the wall and and put some nice ends and “reducing washers” to hold the conduit there. It’s just schd40 pvc. It’s not perfect, but definitely good enough and doesn’t look like s***, IMO at least. ha

The next phase will be working on some electrical and hopefully by the end of the weekend I can get some more of the water fittings figured out. I’m not entirely certain I will use the fittings that came with it.

I also want to order up an expansion tank, a fill and drain valve/port setup, a, air removal unit, a couple temp gauge and a pressure gauge.

A little background here. A closed loop system (the second water loop in this case) really should have an expansion tank. As the water heats it will expand and without an expansion tank it applies undue pressure to everything in the system. Pretty much every single immersion setup I’ve seen (smaller scale) did not come with this.

I’m not terribly fond of the pvc water fittings for the inlet/outlet. I’ll take a closer look, but I’d rather have something a little more robust (copper/brass/stainless).

When you fill the system you will remove most of the air at this time, however a small amount will inevitably still be in the system. An “air scoop” or even a small purge valve should take care of any small amount of air in the system.

I think the temp/pressure gauges speak for themselves as to the purpose.

I’d like to get started on the electrical this weekend and get all of the above mentioned items ordered by the end of this weekend. I’ll need to do a bit of research on exactly what I want and the appropriate fittings etc… I would also like to mount the dry cooler onto the pad this weekend as well.

3 Likes

Not much to report. Mostly trying to figure out the best way to do electrical. How I wanted to run the wire for 100A to the immersion unit won’t really work, so I’ve been mulling that over and trying to find a new way that won’t look like shit and be NEC compliant for safety reasons.

1 Like

Good news is that I have the power issue figured out. The bad news is I cut my hand really bad while removing an arbor from a hole saw that I had in a vise to hold it. This will slow me down a bit, that’s for sure. I’m hoping I can still focus on some smaller things to not put me too much behind. As long as it doesn’t get infected then I should be mostly functional again in a couple weeks. I’ll do what I can within reason between then and now.

Here are a few pics of the dry cooler. It is just sitting there and not anchored, so don’t mind it being “crooked”. I think I’ll be replacing the pig tail wiring they have on there with some 10 gauge stranded I have here and then use some 3/4 seal tight that I have to make the connection to the AC disconnect that you see outside on the side of the house. I’ll use a 90 on the dry cooler and a straight going into the disconnect. It should work out pretty well.

4 Likes